Thread: Phrases, metaphors and idioms that should be retired from literature forever...

Phrases, metaphors and idioms that should be retired from literature forever...

Last year was one of my best reading years ever, having read 27 books between January and October. I know, it doesn't seem like much compared to many others here, but seeing as how I often go through very short reading bursts, this was a great accomplishment for me.

I read some fantastic books, as well as some real clunkers (some of which I didn't even finish - something I try not to ever do).

Through some of the worse books, I encountered many awful, cliché phrases that I wish would never be used again.

Let's share phrases we wish we could never see again!

"Lit up like the fourth of July."

"Six of one, half a dozen of the other."

"Laugh all the way to the bank."
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

"So at the end of the day..."

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    "That being said..."
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Nothing deflates thoughtful, engaging discussion for me quicker than "It is what it is."

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    Nothing deflates thoughtful, engaging discussion for me quicker than "It is what it is."

Oh my god! Yes!

I guess that one's more of a general irritant. Can't say I've seen it in literature.

In books, specifically fantasy books, I immediately check out when characters throw around idioms involving the fictional creatures, currencies, or calendars of their universe.

"...like dealing with traugs in Ourth when you have only a skosh of flikkits." [/close book]

I can deal with that in small doses, but only in certain kinds of fantasy, like the heroic fantasy, and sword and sorcery. I mean, Conan wouldn't be Conan without that kind of stuff, and Robert E. Howard wrote as good as any author who ever lived. Same as Jack Vance, and the rest of the pulps.

I can deal with that in small doses, but only in certain kinds of fantasy, like the heroic fantasy, and sword and sorcery. I mean, Conan wouldn't be Conan without that kind of stuff, and Robert E. Howard wrote as good as any author who ever lived. Same as Jack Vance, and the rest of the pulps.

Speaking of Vance, I just ordered the complete "Tales of the Dying Earth" compendium. It'll be my intro to his work.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Speaking of Vance, I just ordered the complete "Tales of the Dying Earth" compendium. It'll be my intro to his work.
    The 2nd half is much better than the first.

I need to read more Vance.

I guess that one's more of a general irritant. Can't say I've seen it in literature.

In books, specifically fantasy books, I immediately check out when characters throw around idioms involving the fictional creatures, currencies, or calendars of their universe.

"...like dealing with traugs in Ourth when you have only a skosh of flikkits." [/close book]

When I was taking a college program for Script and Technical Writing, there was a guy who started an enormous war on the program's e-forum because he insisted that great writing was taking something mundane and just changing the words to fantasy/sci-fi lingo.

His example was something like, "Isn't the sentence 'Bob walked down the street.' much more interesting when written as 'Vorgath strolled through Minthrel's town square."

Everyone insisted that this was not a more interesting sentence, and he just wouldn't have it.

He's the same guy who insisted that a movie's quality is determined by how much money it makes.

He is probably a millionaire studio exec now.

I have to physically restrain myself from immediately punching people who say that, and it seems like people who do say it every five minutes.

"Just sayin'."

Especially when people use it as the tag on a stupid statement, as though it is the nail in the coffin of the argument. JUST SAYIN'.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    "Honestly...."
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    "Just sayin'."

Especially when people use it as the tag on a stupid statement, as though it is the nail in the coffin of the argument. JUST SAYIN'.
    I usually do EXACTLY that on stupid statements, because the statement is so stupid.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    "What he didn't realize was he had ten minutes to live." End chapter.

Bwaaaaaaaaaaam.

Little did she know that her troubles had just begun.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary