View Poll Results: The Past (Asghar Farhadi)

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

9 81.82%
  • Nay

2 18.18%

Thread: The Past (Asghar Farhadi)

The Past (Asghar Farhadi)

THE PAST
    Dir. Asghar Farhadi

IMDb page

Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

More great stuff from Farhadi.

I love how his plots endlessly twist and turn, pulling characters in different directions, constantly changing the landscape of emotions and perspectives. And despite the revelations that are inevitably unearthed, it never feels like we get any closer to the truth. The characters are hopelessly entangled in a web of their own design and there's no getting back out. And it's to Farhadi's credit that he examines this web of relationships with so much care, detail and understanding. His cinema is so wonderfully empathic, nonjudgmental.

Refreshing, too, as I've been in a cinematic slump for the last few months (I can't even remember the last time I gave a film more than three stars). I eagerly anticipate whatever Farhadi does next.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

Best Boy
    :|

Quote Quoting Stay Puft (view post)
    More great stuff from Farhadi.

I love how his plots endlessly twist and turn, pulling characters in different directions, constantly changing the landscape of emotions and perspectives. And despite the revelations that are inevitably unearthed, it never feels like we get any closer to the truth. The characters are hopelessly entangled in a web of their own design and there's no getting back out. And it's to Farhadi's credit that he examines this web of relationships with so much care, detail and understanding. His cinema is so wonderfully empathic, nonjudgmental.

Refreshing, too, as I've been in a cinematic slump for the last few months (I can't even remember the last time I gave a film more than three stars). I eagerly anticipate whatever Farhadi does next.
    Ditto this. I thought I'd already voted for this wonderful film.

Weapon of MAX Destruction max314's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Stay Puft (view post)
    [The Past is] Refreshing, too, as I've been in a cinematic slump for the last few months...
    I had the exact same experience with A Separation.

Just as I was beginning to fear that I was getting bored of movies, Farhadi came along and dumped a bucket of cold water over me.

Exhilarating filmmaking.

Now I'm waiting for the perfect time to put The Past into my Blu-Ray player.

EDIT:

Saw the film a couple nights ago.

Farhadi picks at the scabs of the past as though they are poisonous bites that needs to be bled and drained of their venom before we can move on. The process is painful, it is messy – but Farhadi insists that it is absolutely necessary.

★★★★★
    MAX
    Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

This is the kind of good film that labors under a plot-heavy construction. The precision of Farhadi's A Separation falls aside as issues from the past keep bubbling up until the final minutes, denying concision and depth in favor of more trauma. At times it works, but narrative asides like the secondary worker at the dry cleaner disrupt, rather than bring into clarity, a national and personal juxtaposition that isn't dealt with enough to justify not being excised.

And this isn't to suggest that concision is preferable to messiness all the time--but here there's so many layers that it stretches the credibility of the emotions at work and undermines the fine cast and direction elsewhere. Good, but a clear step down due to the juggling narrative threads.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7