Thread: George Bush kills Godspeed! You Black Emperor

George Bush kills Godspeed! You Black Emperor

Fuck.

http://www.drownedinsound.com/articles/2909075

I guess it's official.

I must admit that's a strange reason to quit. I wonder if there was something else at play here, and I imagine there was. Honestly quiting becasue of the Iraq War? I mean its a bad thing and all but that doesn't mean you should end the band over it.

That said what albums should I check out from the band? I've always been sort of curious about them ever, especially because of their super sweet band name.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    I must admit that's a strange reason to quit. I wonder if there was something else at play here, and I imagine there was. Honestly quiting becasue of the Iraq War? I mean its a bad thing and all but that doesn't mean you should end the band over it.

That said what albums should I check out from the band? I've always been sort of curious about them ever, especially because of their super sweet band name.
    It's the best post-rock, pretty much ever. Basically really large, beautiful instrumental arrangements. As per albums: F#A#infinity is probably their best, it's got some real doom and gloom moments, but the instrumentation and build ups are some of the best I've ever heard. Also, the way they use spoken word is simply haunting. Also be sure to check out Lift Yr Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven. It's their biggest release, and it's still in my top 10 of the decade. It also has my favorite song by them, "Gathering Storm" (and then it's got like 4 other titles attached to the song that I can't remember off the top of my head).

I think Skinny Fists is a bit more accessible, that was my start. But yeah, great, great band. They really didn't put out a bad release, though.

Comment edited by mods for excessive hatefulness and negativity in a time of mourning.

Quote Quoting Horbgorbler (view post)
    Comment edited by mods for excessive hatefulness and negativity in a time of mourning.
    Ha. I would expect nothing less from you Horb.

Quote Quoting Horbgorbler (view post)
    :lol: times a million.

Quote Quoting krazed (view post)
    It's the best post-rock, pretty much ever. Basically really large, beautiful instrumental arrangements. As per albums: F#A#infinity is probably their best, it's got some real doom and gloom moments, but the instrumentation and build ups are some of the best I've ever heard. Also, the way they use spoken word is simply haunting. Also be sure to check out Lift Yr Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven. It's their biggest release, and it's still in my top 10 of the decade. It also has my favorite song by them, "Gathering Storm" (and then it's got like 4 other titles attached to the song that I can't remember off the top of my head).

I think Skinny Fists is a bit more accessible, that was my start. But yeah, great, great band. They really didn't put out a bad release, though.
    Thanks krazed. I'll take all that you noted into account. I enjoy and at times dislike instrumentation so I think some of their albums should be an interesting experience for me.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Yeah, I'll echo krazed's recs, though of course those are the only two Godspeed albums I've heard. I return to F#A#infinity a little more, but whenever I remember to play Lift Yr Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven I am always amazed. Especially the second disc of that release. Great stuff.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    I grabbed both discs mentioned in this thread today. Truly impressive stuff. Thanks for the recommendations.

Are they in the war or something?

I don't get it.

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    Are they in the war or something?

I don't get it.

Yeh I don't either.

Seems like a bit of attention whoring on their part.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

“I think that bands do have a short shelf life… they should be able to ply their trade ‘til they no longer want to.”

Too true.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

"How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Yeah, I saw that.

Weird.