Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Girls (Season 3)

Has it occurred to anyone/everyone that Marnie is the exact model of a Britta of this series?

Finally, regarding Marnie and Ray, I have been a Marnie advocate ever since she fingered herself to allay Booth desires in Season 1 and a Ray hater ever since he read Hannah's journal in Season 1. Feelings haven't changed, especially just in the context of Season 1, but interesting having my initial, very strong sympathies being happily tossed into the garbage like an impartial (garbage) salad by the showrunners. I'll happily start afresh with my feelings. I wonder what would be happening if Charlie didn't leave... (didn't like him, but surely it threw a wrench in the writer's room).
    The Act of Killing (Oppenheimer 13) - A
    Stranger by the Lake (Giraudie 12) - B
    American Hustle (Russell 13) - C+
    The Wolf of Wall Street (Scorsese 13) - C+
    Passion (De Palma 12) - B

Oh, Jessa.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

That episode was so good.

This season has been really steadily solid. I love Hannah's aunts interacting with her mom. And her mom's appraisal of Adam was a difficult scene.

Thought the finale was super strong. Sat there begging [
    ]

This season was a step down from the first two but they capped it off strong. Hannah is a natural disaster.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

I think the season is just as strong as the first two, and this is the first time they've really been able to stick the landing. That was heavy. Ouch.

Yeah, the finale this year was easily the best one. I was lukewarm on the season as a whole, but it didn't make any glaring missteps. I think the cabin episode was my favorite.

I might be in the minority, but I thought this was the best season yet. The "sitcomy" nature that a lot of people didn't like seemed to really work for me, for whatever reason. Improbably, I was moved by a lot of moments this season, where in previous seasons I was pretty much hate watching at points. Most of the arcs were done really well, and I think the consistency on an episode-to-episode basis went a long way.

It's the first season with very clear and consistent season-long arcs. Like it or not, definitely a departure from the first two. I liked it a lot.

Zosia Mamet KILLED the finale. That look Shosh gave Marnie during her confession.

In the past two weeks we've binge-watched the first two seasons and are halfway through the third. Doing it in a rush makes me realize that there's little chance that the Ray of season 3 would have rummaged through a girl's diary (as he did in season 1). Also, I wonder if he'd even be willing to sleep with someone who was with Charlie for four years.

Those incongruities aside, I quite like this season so far.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12