Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: True Detective (Season 1)

Quote Quoting EvilShoe (view post)
    Now rumoured, Elisabeth Moss!
    She's not a surprising choice, but she's a fantastic actress.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Binge-watched this. Fantastic all around. Reminded me of Alan Moore's works for some reason, particularly Neonomicon with its obsessive detective, and this was before I read in the Internet that the ending was reminiscent of Top Ten, which I haven't read. McConaughey is just a revelation lately, great work by this man.

The discussion about women is just depressing. Does this nonsense need to be brought up everywhere? Watch Qrazy defending the Hays code as a class act.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Does this nonsense need to be brought up everywhere?
    If you're tired of hearing about it, imagine how tired women are of constantly being portrayed that way.

Also, Moore never did anything as shallow as True Detective. The show was good for 3-4 episodes and then it glides on familiar tropes. Much mystery. Deep thinking. And it ends with a fistfight in a cave. Gimme a break.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    If you're tired of hearing about it, imagine how tired women are of constantly being portrayed that way.
    *high five*
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    All I know is if you're watching an intelligent, well-written crime drama like this one and your mind wanders to making a list of how many women characters are hookers or someone's girlfriend, there's something wrong with you. As if there weren't hookers and wives and girlfriends in real life. If the characters are well written, as they are here, I don't give a fuck about the latest P.C. agenda.

Quote Quoting Irish
    Also, Moore never did anything as shallow as True Detective. The show was good for 3-4 episodes and then it glides on familiar tropes. Much mystery. Deep thinking. And it ends with a fistfight in a cave. Gimme a break.
    Well, I don't think it was a work of genius, but it kept the interest high for me for all eight episodes. I think it does something slightly different with familiar tropes, which is almost the definition of good genre fiction these days. Agreed, Moore's writing is on a superior level. What I meant was that certain themes reminded me of his work, specially when he goes all holistic like in From Hell.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    If the characters are well written, as they are here, I don't give a fuck about the latest P.C. agenda.
    They're not, though. Also: "latest P.C. agenda" = half the world's population.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

It does seem to me that people are finally being much more sensitive to gender representation than ever before, and they're speaking out rather than shrugging it off. That's kind of exciting. Feels like the underdog rising up against the ruling class, and I wanna be on the right side of that.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Justin Lin in talks to direct some eps.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=42100
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Thursday I got my hands on the show thanks to my local public library, and I started watching. I've viewed the first two episodes already. Some of you who posted on Icine do recall when I would post write ups of episodes of Lost. Well I'm doing it again. Its been a while so I'm a tad out of practice....

True Detective Season 1 Episode 1: The Long Bright Dark

Opening in the Deep South and focusing in on a case that had long been thought solved in 1995, the HBO show True Detective utilizes flashbacks and flash forwards for a season centering around two Louisiana State CID's, Rust and Marty. These former partners are being interviewed, or more likely interrogated, by current detectives because someone has been killed in the same fashion as the girl that they found in a field over a decade prior. Having fallen out after years of working together, Marty and Rust are grilled separately, each giving accounts of what transpired during the murder investigation. In the process certain elements come to light, and we begin to get a certain picture of who these men are and how they think.

This is especially made clear in a scene in which Rust offers his darkly humorous and brutal outlook on humanity after Marty unfortunately asks Rust what his belief system is. Matthew McConaughey breaks free of his movie persona here, delivering a brooding monologue that Woody Harrelson reacts to quite strongly, which in turn was funny and rather apt given the nature of what Rust had just said. Its interesting that Marty's wife, Maggie, wants Rust to meet Marty's family, as the two men seem to have little in common and Rust is no longer a family man. Perhaps curious to see who has her husband's life in his hands, although maybe also a typical formality of sorts. What occurs as a result of that decision is Maggie realizing what Marty already knows: that Rust is on edge, teetering on that line between sanity and madness.

Another choice moment is when Rust in the interview forces one of the detectives to get him a six pack of Lone Star as he continues to chain smoke away during their questioning. The first episode concludes with a rather nice puzzling quote that does not come across as typical or cliche based on how McConaughey delivers the line. Harrelson and McConaughey display a natural rapport and connection in this show, playing off of one another and reflecting their fantastic talents onscreen. I'm looking forward to viewing the rest of the series based on this gorgeously shot, bleak and neatly directed episode.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

True Detective Season 1 Episode 2: Seeing Things

"Yeah, back then, the visions, yeah most of the time I was convinced... Shit... I'd lost it. But there were other times... I thought I was mainlining the secret truth of the universe."-Rust Cohle

While the pilot was really great I actually liked this episode more, as it was subtle, rather eerie, with undercurrents lying beneath the surface. Also featured here is where Rust starts to go down the rabbit hole as he stops circling the drain and plunges into the dark, sinister hole, diving into something that might lay beyond his understanding. Marty at the present does not realize this until the end of the episode, and even after hearing from Rust about Rust's family and what happened to them he still fails to fully know his partner. Funny how you can work together with another person and still never unravel the layers, peeling them back until a clearer picture emerges.

This is underlined by a scene of raw emotional intensity where Rust and Marty almost come to blows in the locker room after Rust pulls a Sherlock Holmes and reveals to Marty that he knows about the other woman in Marty's life. That woman would be Lisa, played with gorgeous charisma by Alexandra Daddario, who in her few moments with Marty plays an effective mistress to his need to blow off steam. Even as she desires something far more tangible, something that Marty does not want or can give he beyond casual sexual hookups between the two of them. Whether or not Marty's wife Maggie (expertly played by Michelle Monaghan) knows about Lisa is not revealed in this episode, although its clear that Marty and Maggie are having some troubles at home and its possible Maggie suspects.

Previously I failed to mention how amazing this show's music is, as the legendary T Bone Burnett is responsible for that area and he does his usual fantastic job. I love how the songs set the tone of the show, giving the episodes added empathises and adding to the show instead of being distracting or driving the moments-the scenes proved imaginary for the music instead of the other way around, if that makes any sense. Oh and the shots of the countryside are beyond amazing, in addition to the scenes where Rust hallucinates cryptically, almost showing himself the way. What this means, only future episodes will tell.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Some possible spoilers btw, although this thread seems dead right now so it doesn't matter:

True Detective Season 1 Episode 3: Locked Rooms

Later on in the episode the two detectives who have the misfortune to question Rust and Marty become tired of Rust's opinions, which at this point have turned to religion, life, and whatever else pops into Rust's head at the moment. They respond to such horribly strong negativity that they leave the room, using a so called "Break" to excuse themselves from having to hear more from a man that is clearly broken, left with nothing and no one. This episode more than any of the other ones so far properly illustrates Rust's loneliness, his distance from people and mankind in general, his unwillingness to connect with others. This lack of faith in people and Rust withdrawing into himself is even more noted when Maggie and Marty make the mistake of trying to hook him up with one of her friends-she's willing, he is not, yet Rust goes through the motions.

What troubles Marty is that as he cheats on his wife and drinks more he is growing apart from Maggie, and she not only sees this but confronts him about it. For reasons unknown Rust shows up at Marty's house, thus angering Marty yet also reminding Marty that he has let the job consume his life despite his attempts to, in his own words, keep the job and life separate. This failure threatens his marriage and his relationship with his own children, and it leads to Marty lashing out in anger against his own mistress after she takes a man home and tells him its over. That scene is chilling in that Marty realizes he is capable of violence, and luckily for the young man he almost beats up Marty recognizes his limits and goes home instead. The conversation between Marty and Rusty where Marty wonders about love and if he is a good man is one of the best parts of the episode, as it is stark and real.

Finally the journey concludes one part, starting a new one as the pair of detectives find the gateway to the rabbit hole, to hell and beyond. A break in the case occurs, however this moment only leads to more questions without answers, answers that lie with of all things a man. Interesting how when events appear complex they can be simplified with the right key, a key that Rust discovers thanks to his inability to sleep and his strong obsession. Marty tries to deny his obsession, while Rust refuses to admit doubt clouds his mind more than sleep does. Both men have their own demons to overcome, and each must get his affairs in order before the tide comes in.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

It's official: Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn. Justin Lin directing the first two episodes.

“Colin Farrell as Ray Velcoro, a compromised detective whose allegiances are torn between his masters in a corrupt police department and the mobster who owns him.”

“Vince Vaughn as Frank Semyon, a career criminal in danger of losing his empire when his move into legitimate enterprise is upended by the murder of a business partner.”
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Nice. Two actors that I always like more than the big roles they tend to end up with, and it'll be refreshing to finally see Lin do something non-Fast-related after all his years served there.

I guess McAdams isn't confirmed but I'd like to see her in this too, or at the very least something like it.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Well, one cop so far, so maybe there still is a female lead detective?

I do hope that Pizzolatto has a unique take on a big city approach.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Sounds good to me so far.

PS: I finished the show last week, I'm just reposting reviews I wrote elsewhere...

True Detective Season 1 Episode 4: Who Goes There

Much has been made about that brilliant tracking shot, which is something that would never be featured on a network TV show these days and utterly lives up to the hype. What's forgotten amongst the talk about that scene is that Who Goes There is the shit hitting the fan, the storm exploding onto all in moments both surprising and expected. You have Marty facing Maggie's wraith as Lisa gets revenge on him by telling Maggie about the affair, followed by Rust being forced to go back deep undercover with a group of people that he was hoping he would no longer have to deal with. The consequences of Rust and Marty's previous actions come down upon them just as they have a break in their case, and that's rough.

One of the best moments in this episode, tracking shot aside, is when Marty is forced to go into a rave club to find a man capable of telling Rust and him about the biker gang that Rust has to go meet after a couple years of playing dead. The lightening is absolutely perfect and the scene is tense, unwinding by the end, as if it were a slinky bouncing down the stairs. This moment is matched by the the tracking shot of course, and yet Who Goes There feels nervous and tense throughout, mirroring the feelings of the two main characters. Rust has to prevent Marty from going to pieces over Maggie, all while breaking rules and laws so that they have a shot at finding a man known as Reggie Ledoux. Such a move proves to be tricky and risky, particularly with Rust having to steal evidence to have a shot of meeting with the bikers who know him as Crash.

Ah, that tracking shot. Its a thing of beauty, winding and curling around, following people amongst chaos that emerges during a robbery gone horribly wrong. Violence erupts as the hostile natives respond to murder, resulting in an orgy of killing and beatings. The police helicopter circles overhead, capturing the scene in all its terrifying glory. Rust and Marty are baptized together in fire, emerging bound together as partners, not opposites, brothers in arms centered on a singular purpose. What happens next I have no idea, and I can't wait to view the aftermath.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Good to see Vaughn mix things up a bit, never saw him as ideal romcom fodder anyway. Seems like he's better suited as a serious actor.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Yessss I would watch this show.

http://FunnyOrDie.com/m/97xq
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Yessss I would watch this show.

http://FunnyOrDie.com/m/97xq
    [
    ]
    Stuff I've Watched out of *****

The Last Duel - ***
    Only Murders in the Building: **
    Squid Games: **.5

Just binge watched the show. Top notch stuff, I really loved McConaughey in this and I kinda love how...
    [
    ]

Also, found this essay somewhere, cool stuff. Need to read The King in Yellow.

True Detective and Loveraftian Horror

Started this the other night.

Pretty interesting.

Really well made.

I like that McConaughey is so into the Thomas Ligotti school of pessimism. I keep waiting for The Conspiracy Against the Human Race to show up some where.

http://www.vulture.com/2014/08/thoma...ive-guide.html

Speaking of which, looks like the show as pushed the price of my like-new copy 1st edition of The Conspiracy.... above $250.

Maybe next season will be inspired by Michael Cisco.

Have you read The King in Yellow, Davis?

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Have you read The King in Yellow, Davis?
    Oh yeah, many times.

It contains my all-time favorite short story, "The Repairer of Reputations." I've never ready a better depiction of madness and insanity. The entire book feels dangerous, as if its something that shouldn't be read. There is a real sense of dread that emanates from the pages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rep...of_Reputations

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    It contains my all-time favorite short story, "The Repairer of Reputations." I've never ready a better depiction of madness and insanity. The entire book feels dangerous, as if its something that shouldn't be read. There is a real sense of dread that emanates from the pages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rep...of_Reputations
    Yeah, I've read that one. . It's great, though never finished the collection. He's like Lovecraft if you didn't have to feel guilty reading him.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567