Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: True Detective (Season 1)

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Easy... Easy.
    I WON'T EASY AND YOU CAN'T MAKE ME.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I thought they knew the location, and Rust had even worked on that location in the past, didn't he?

I do have a small issue with the massive amount of drugs he took, and being able to take down those two men, but when all that happens, you sober up pretty damn quickly. He also seemed to be a ghost in a neighborhood where seemingly everyone was outside.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

It Makes Me Feel Alone Sxottlan's Avatar
    Just watched this tonight. Unbelievable how Fukunaga put this together so quickly. I love how this went all GTA on us. I was thinking of picking up this season on blu-ray when it comes out. This guarantees it.

Here is the shot:

[]
    Out of 4 stars:
    The Guest: ***1/2
    Furious 7: ***
    The Tale of Princess Kaguya: ***
    It Follows: ***1/2

The Wu-Tang beat really added to the scene.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Holy shiiiit. Watched the last three episodes back-to-back last night, and even though I'd already heard about the 6½-minute take, I was still blown away by it in such a visceral, one-of-a-kind way, more than anything I've seen from TV in a long time.

I mean, half of my mind was properly going "Oh my god, how is Rust possibly going to push through all of this?" and the other portion was jumping out of my head yelling "How are Fukunaga and his team DOING this?!", and it was exhilarating.

I was even pretty sure there might have been two cheats to keep the take appearing seamless, but then I read the MTV article that said they used those exact moments as "outs" to edit in other takes if they needed to, but ultimately didn't. Wooww.

Those first two hours and fifty-three minutes of the episodes had some pretty standout stuff too, but for the show to put that as the last thing in my head, it's going to be the only thing there 'til Sunday.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Ahh all the raving and I still haven't found time to watch this yet. Need to give my television priorities a reevaluation.

ugh i don't know if i'm going to be able to fall asleep tonight

"I saw you in a dream. You're in Carcosa now with me."

Some of that went over my head as to what's going on. But I'm so intrigued that I can't wait to watch it again.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Some of that went over my head as to what's going on. But I'm so intrigued that I can't wait to watch it again.
    What didn't you follow?
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Here is a great piece on the literary allusion in the show:

http://io9.com/the-one-literary-refe...ate-1523076497
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Here is a great piece on the literary allusion in the show:

http://io9.com/the-one-literary-refe...ate-1523076497
    This is what I needed. Thanks.

By the way, I spoke to a Reggie from a Missouri store I'll manage. He's from Ledoux, Missouri.

Eek!

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

That abandoned building was creepy as shit.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

It's definitely not going to go into the realm of the supernatural but I could see it going into the realm of the occult with Lester Freamon leading some satan worship shit with a bunch of eyes wide shut hood wearing lunatics at his beck and call.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Mitty (view post)
    Yeah, it still seems a little convenient that Marty was able to make it to the projects so quickly, given that he had no idea where Rust was going to be before that phone call. I suppose we have to assume that Marty didn't stray too far from the biker bar when he drove off and that the projects also happened to be relatively close to the bar.
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I thought they knew the location, and Rust had even worked on that location in the past, didn't he?
    By the way, I rewatched Ep 4 before starting Ep 5 and here's what happened if anyone still cares:

Rust told Marty that he's been posing as Crash in Beaumont for a week, and he's finally managed to set up a meet at the biker bar outside the city with Ginger that night. Rust told him to not lose sight of him, and to also monitor the local police band just in case.

When Marty saw Rust leaving on a boat with Ginger, he didn't know where they were going, so he just drove to Beaumont, which he knew where Ginger's from, parked in a lot and sat in the car listening to the police band. The shot cuts from this to the chopper in the air monitoring the projects, making it clear that Marty's listening to the chopper's broadcast. Now when the shooting started, the chopper called it in, and presumably Marty heard it and decided to go check it out as per Rust's instructions.

Meanwhile, Rust found out that he's going to the projects, which he'd been to before and knew that it's a gated area with only one way in and out (hence his concern about the plan). When he called Marty to get there in 90 seconds, he didn't tell Marty where he was (I was wrong on that in my last post). He just told him to go where the gate's entrance was. We saw that that's exactly where he was heading, because he passed the police cars coming in.
    Movie Theater Diary

Here's a good quote from Pizzolatto:

"I’ve enjoyed reading people theorize about what’s going to happen because it’s a sign that you’re connecting. But I’m also sort of surprised by how far afield they’re getting. Like, why do you think we’re tricking you? It’s because you’ve been abused as an audience for more than 20 years. The show’s not trying to outsmart you. And really if you pay attention… if someone watches the first episode and really listens, it tells you 85 percent of the story of the first six episodes."
    I do think that this isn't the right show to be treating like a clever whodunnit. I always get the feeling that it's being very straightforward about the narrative. They're clearly way more interested in the Rust/Marty relationship than the murders.
    Movie Theater Diary

I do think that this isn't the right show to be treating like a clever whodunnit. I always get the feeling that it's being very straightforward about the narrative. They're clearly way more interested in the Rust/Marty relationship than the murders.
    Yeah, I certainly don't really care WHO did the murders. I'm very much concerned at how the detectives will figure it all out.

Now the whole analyzation of how an 1890s book is involved, well, that's just an awesome extra.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

SPOILERS

I don't see how. If it were being straight forward then the guy in the compound would have been the killer. Also the story is about a murder that remained unsolved for 17 years so clearly there's something going on. I don't think it's going to go Shyamalan on us with a twist ending but clearly it's not just Point A to Point B. There are plot reveals.

My guess is it's going to be somewhat similar to how Top of the Lake plays out.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    I don't see how. If it were being straight forward then the guy in the compound would have been the killer.
    Well, no, because we found out in the first ep that they probably got the wrong guy. Of course there are plot reveals, but it's being straightforward in that it doesn't seem to be presenting us any misdirections or red herrings, which is what Pizzolatto's saying.

Well, no, because we found out in the first ep that they probably got the wrong guy. Of course there are plot reveals, but it's being straightforward in that it doesn't seem to be presenting us any misdirections or red herrings, which is what Pizzolatto's saying.
    So McConaughey's character did it then? Because that's the direction some of the characters have been pushing in.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    So McConaughey's character did it then? Because that's the direction some of the characters have been pushing in.
    I might just be speaking for myself here, and it may seem like a much easier idea to throw out considering what happened in the newest episode, but hasn't this been something the show has planted in the viewer's mind since the ending of the first episode?

Not to say it should all be as much of a cut and dry, pull-the-rug-from-under-you sort of reversal as that, but keeping the possibility of the unsuspecting yet in-plain-sight possibility as the ultimate key to the main crux of things that makes the most sense and as well as the most unsettling is sort of the tone this entire series seems to operate on.

Episode 5 was almost dizzyingly haunting at times. Is T-Bone Burnett actually doing the score or just selecting the pre-existing pieces? Because if this is all him, then wow. As if I thought he couldn't seem any more talented, this equally bone-chilling and gorgeous music spills out of him.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

And don't you know it ThePlashyBubbler's Avatar
    This thing has really been masterfully constructed so far.

Even just how after five episodes of monologuing you finally understand that Cohle has just been blowing smoke at the 2012 detectives in order to learn what they have on the new murder (complete with asking for beer in episode one so his testimony would be inadmissible). That slow evolution of characters intent and motivation has been thrilling to watch, and while by no means do I think Cohle is responsible for the murders we've seen, I have a feeling his agenda is going to be more complex than merely tracking down those he thinks are responsible (Tuttle?).
    Writing things for A Horizontal Myth.

And don't you know it ThePlashyBubbler's Avatar
    I also have a feeling that Cohle and Hart's "fallout" in 2002 may turn out to be as fabricated as their story about the gunfight. If Cohle is off the grid working on collecting evidence against the yellow king / whatever cult element is really behind the murders, I wouldn't completely rule out Hart being subtly involved somehow and not wanting it publicized for the sake of appearances. Then again, something does have to break up Hart's marriage (no ring in 2012) at some point, so maybe I'm wrong and that's part of the same 2002 disturbance that separates the pair of detectives as well.
    Writing things for A Horizontal Myth.

Movie Theater Diary

Not sure how you could possibly think cohle is responsible for the killings, especially after the end of the most recent episode

Quote Quoting Acapelli (view post)
    Not sure how you could possibly think cohle is responsible for the killings, especially after the end of the most recent episode
    To me, it would make sense if you look at it from the first episode only, and even from the side of the cops that get to hear him wax philosophy. But with everything we've seen from 1-5, it certainly doesn't seem the case.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast