Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones (Season 4)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I keep forgetting to remove this from my DVR schedule since you can On Demand them all.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    I also have to commend Martin for this being his first written script without any gratuitous nudity.
    At least there was a spread eagle contortionist.

Quote Quoting Lucky (view post)
    At least there was a spread eagle contortionist.
    "Hellooo."
    "Hello."
    "Not you."
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Goddamn. Charles Dance and Liam Cunningham are like the crown jewels of this ensemble. They elevate every scene they are in. Rory McCann is also becoming increasingly impressive now that they are giving him more to do. He's like the Brienne of this season. Great episode. The first scene in the sept might be my favorite so far this season.....followed swiftly by an ugly little moment. :/
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Did not like how they handled that Jaime/Cersei scene, at all.

This is actually really bugging me, for a few reasons.

[
    ]

Daenerys Targaryen's scenes are on such a higher level then the rest of the show (which is good, mind you) that I have an inner shriek whenever her color palette shows up. The show is sure taking it's sweet time getting her to Westeros. Would you say she has the largest army already?

Pretty sure I could do without any Sam or Brian Stark. Not really sure what the point of them is right now.

I don't know Arya Stark's purpose right now either, but that subplot is so good to watch, that I don't care.

All caught up now... Marathoning through it definitely brings up some questions that probably have been answered, but it's been a great series.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Sorry Tyrion. Team Oberyn now.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting slqrick (view post)
    This is actually really bugging me, for a few reasons.

[
    ]
    Could not agree more.

It made me uncomfortable, but more than that I feel like an ass for ever rooting for Jaime's redemption. I can't figure out what Martin is going for by jerking around his readers/viewers this much. (Also, having the rape occur in a mausoleum next to their kid's dead body was laughably over the top, even for this show.)

As a side note, this episode had a few too many (?!) creepy incest babies. Makes my skin crawl. Serves no real purpose that I can see, other than George wanting to play around with outré human behavior to push some kind of envelope. (Same thing with those cannibal wildlings.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Daenerys Targaryen's scenes are on such a higher level then the rest of the show (which is good, mind you) that I have an inner shriek whenever her color palette shows up. The show is sure taking it's sweet time getting her to Westeros. Would you say she has the largest army already?
    She has great individual moments (catapulting broken shackles into the city was a terrific image) but there is no real story there. Every scene plays like a cliffhanger, so the tone ends up flat. It's like a song made up of a single, high pitched note. How long can the singer hold that before the audience catches on and gets bored?

If/when she lands in Westeros, it'll be something like a ~3 year build up to a somewhat singular payoff. Worth it?

There are similar problems with other storylines (Jon Snow comes to mind).

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Could not agree more.

It made me uncomfortable, but more than that I feel like an ass for ever rooting for Jaime's redemption. I can't figure out what Martin is going for by jerking around his readers/viewers this much. (Also, having the rape occur in a mausoleum next to their kid's dead body was laughably over the top, even for this show.)

As a side note, this episode had a few too many (?!) creepy incest babies. Makes my skin crawl. Serves no real purpose that I can see, other than George wanting to play around with outré human behavior to push some kind of envelope. (Same thing with those cannibal wildlings.
    According to George, he had nothing to do with the rape scene. It certainly wasn't in the book, and he says he doesn't remember ever discussing its inclusion in the show.

If anything, at least, this show is fulfilling my wish for a show where the characters don't have clear character arcs. They can simply exist, and sometimes they're likable, sometimes they're not, depending on the context and situations. Usually you can only find that in pro wrestling.
    Movie Theater Diary

I don't think Dany is coming to Westeros anytime soon.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Most likely Martin will decide to rape and kill her off before she gets there anyway. He's all about unpredictability guys!
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

She has great individual moments (catapulting broken shackles into the city was a terrific image) but there is no real story there. Every scene plays like a cliffhanger, so the tone ends up flat. It's like a song made up of a single, high pitched note. How long can the singer hold that before the audience catches on and gets bored?

If/when she lands in Westeros, it'll be something like a ~3 year build up to a somewhat singular payoff. Worth it?

There are similar problems with other storylines (Jon Snow comes to mind).
    Yeah I find the overall structure of the series extremely problematic for those reasons. I don't find he intertwines plot threads particularly well.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Likely because the series tries to present the events in chronological order, while the books were not written that way.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    According to George, he had nothing to do with the rape scene. It certainly wasn't in the book, and he says he doesn't remember ever discussing its inclusion in the show.
    Interesting. I liked this bit from Coster-Waldau:

There is significance in that scene, and it comes straight from the books—it’s George R.R. Martin’s mind at play. It took me awhile to wrap my head around it, because I think that, for some people, it’s just going to look like rape. The intention is that it’s not just that.
    Also, this article from the same site says the scene is in the books, but in a slightly different form.

Interesting. I liked this bit from Coster-Waldau:

Also, this article from the same site says the scene is in the books, but in a slightly different form.
    I read the book last year. The sex in the sept between Cersei and Jamie is most certainly written as consensual. Sure there's the unreliable narrator angle since it's Jaime's POV, but nothing about the dialogue or the scene suggested to me that it was possibly rape.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    The sex in the sept between Cersei and Jamie is most certainly written as consensual. Sure there's the unreliable narrator angle since it's Jaime's POV, but nothing about the dialogue or the scene suggested to me that it was possibly rape.
    Click through and read. The article says as much. The differences in interpretation between book, script, and screen are worth considering. It strikes me as a little more nuanced than "well, that wasn't in the book and George had nothing to do with it."

Click through and read. The article says as much. The differences in interpretation between book, script, and screen are worth considering. It strikes me as a little more nuanced than "well, that wasn't in the book and George had nothing to do with it."
    Sorry, the wording of your post led me to think that the article suggested the scene in the book was sort of murky when it came to the sex being consensual. I read the article and while George may have let that moment hang in the air a bit in the book, much like with the Dany example they bring up later in the article, it's clear that Cersei decides that sex is what she wants. I'm in agreement with the article that the rape needs to lead to something this time. If not, it's a pointless move and another ugly strike against the show.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Likely because the series tries to present the events in chronological order, while the books were not written that way.
    What I find problematic is having multiple major characters off elsewhere throughout an entire series. And also the incredibly slow progression of major plot threads. The restructuring of the books is a good thing. I enjoy the series much more than the books since I don't have to read endless descriptions of blood oranges.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Neither do I. In the show, she doesn't even seem to have that in her near future goal.

I hope we get to that point though.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Well, the rape wasn't addressed. Either they're holding reaction to it back, playing it way subtle, or they truly fucked up and mis-played that scene. Alan Graves and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau's comments last week point to those involved completely misunderstanding the scene and what it portrayed.

Tonight Jaime was back to his sympathetic ways and Cersei's behavior toward him was no different than before last week. These were not characters recently involved in the violent exchange we saw last week. Is this this show's Landry/Tyra murder plot? Are we just going to have to pretend the rape didn't happen and chalk it up to their attempts to be shocking in the moment with no repercussions? If so, very very poor form from everyone involved.

Rest of the episode was good. I decided to stop reading the books after #4, preferring to have some surprises with the show. They're starting to show some things I'd not read yet, which is neat.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Finally some white walker developments.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Judging by reactions on FB and Twitter, that white walker scene wasn't in any of the books. A few people have been up in arms about it. I thought it was cool, but really, it's a fat load of nothing if they aren't addressed again for the rest of the season.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast