View Poll Results: Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

2 50.00%
  • Nay

2 50.00%

Thread: Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones (Christopher Landon)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones (Christopher Landon)

PARANORMAL ACTIVITY: THE MARKED ONES

Director: Christopher Landon

imdb

Without a doubt, the best movie I've seen this year so far.

Best Boy
    :|

lol, outside of the fourth one, I didn't even SEE the other movies, yet its relation to them couldn't have possibly been any more obvious if it wanted to. :P

Best Boy
    I guess you mean the door and the other house but that's what made no sense in connection with the others

I found this which explains it, but it's a pretty stupid explanation ultimately:

http://screenrant.com/paranormal-act...-references/2/

Alone again, naturally eternity's Avatar
    ...so this series is just an infinitely more hilarious version of Primer now.

Awesome. My ability to enjoy the first one will diminish with each one of these I choose to put myself through in the future. Note that I haven't seen this one and just read the Screenrant article.

The best part about this movie though was seeing it accompanied by the soundtrack to Frozen, which was playing in the next theater over. Nothing quite like seeng a girl run away screaming for her life to "The First Time In Forever", or a guy being chased through a haunted house while "Let It Go" plays in the background. :P

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    This is the best sequel in the franchise by far. (I haven't seen Ghost Dimensions yet)
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Alright, so having now re-watched Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones, allow me to share my updated thoughts on this one as well. I'll say this, it's a flawed movie, but where a lot of PA4's flaws hold it back, this one actually sorta elevates it and makes it one of the more enjoyable outings in this series. It definitely features some of the most unintentionally silliest images in the series, such as the dog being pressed against the ceiling against its will, or the main antagonist suddenly materializing in a room via cheap photoshop effects (though the gangsters shot-gunning a bunch of witches very well may have been intentionally hilarious). And in terms of the movie being found footage, I'll just flat out state that the entire second half of this movie even being filmed makes absolutely no god damn sense! But even so, I actually liked the different take here, and thought the change in scenery definitely made for a nice little breath of fresh air in the series.

Now, that said, I'm going to have to go on a bit of a tangent about some people's continued insistence that this movie is somehow a "spinoff", as opposed to being the legitimate fifth entry in this series. For one, this movie directly continues the series' mythology from where movies 3 and 4 left off, and formally introduces key elements that come into play with movie 6, meaning that its placement in the series ties directly in sequence with the other films. And the movie makes direct reference to this taking place after the events of movie 4, and also features enough references to the other films that it's placement in the series is more than relevant, such as the mysterious traveling box of tapes showing up near them, including the Katie and Kristi tape from movie 3, as well as the sole surviving girl from movie 2 even being called in to help out (in fact, come to think of it, it's interesting how that girl from movie 2 is actually the only character out of every single one of these movies to make it out both alive and un-possessed. Huh). And that's not even taking into account that the final climactic scene takes place both in the grandma's house from movie 3 and the original house from the first film, tying directly into the latter's ending as well.

Honestly, the only thing that really makes this movie any different from the others outside of following a bunch of Latino characters instead of another wealthy white family (which, if that's why some are considering it a spin-off, then, racist much?) is that this movie doesn't include the nightly breakdowns monitoring the ongoing paranormal activity while everyone's asleep. But, given the context within the movie, it wouldn't make sense for them to do so anyways, so there's really nothing lost there either. But all in all, yeah, spin-off? Certainly not, and anyone claiming it is clearly either hasn't even seen the movie, or wasn't paying a lick of attention while they were.

But anyways, tangent aside, no, it's not as good as the first three, but it's still quite enjoyable. And unlike Paranormal Activity 4, which was really hurt by watching the first three movies, having the knowledge of those prior movies actually strengthened this one overall. So yeah, good stuff, and now let's see how the last one holds up!