Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee

That was terrible. It made Leno look like a witty genius.

I only recognize Barry from his weirdo role in The Wrestler. How is his standup?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    I saw him do 10 minutes one night as part of Portland's Bridgetown Comedy fest and he was hilarious. Not sure why he wouldn't be able to have a conversation with Jerry, unless it was some kind of anti-comedy stunt on his part. He's friends with Tim Heidecker, so that may not be far off.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    I saw him do 10 minutes one night as part of Portland's Bridgetown Comedy fest and he was hilarious. Not sure why he wouldn't be able to have a conversation with Jerry, unless it was some kind of anti-comedy stunt on his part. He's friends with Tim Heidecker, so that may not be far off.
    Well, not sure what that does for him really. It reflected poorly on his part, and doesn't make me want to check out his comedy one bit. Heidecker's anti-comedy is so odd or ridiculous that it becomes funny. Bob Einstein's episode is a good way of seeming to not care one bit about the show, but still being ridiculously entertaining.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Best Boy
    Haven't watched his ep yet but Todd Barry is the funniest comic to be on the show so far. If you can't catch his standup I recommend his eps of Dr. Katz and Flight of the Concords

Howard Stern was so great. I didn't want it to end.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Howard Stern was so great. I didn't want it to end.
    Yep. It's funny how the whole editing for the episode seemed to be different, like they were trying to get in all the good stuff. I loved how Jerry was able to match Stern's energy and style, without changing his essential self. Last line was a killer.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Personally enjoy Tina Fey's the most (only seen a handful of eps though). Either that or the Chris Rock.

Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Awesome. Very much looking forward to George Wallace, Robert Klein, and John Stewart.

I would like to see Bryan Cranston, Hannibal Buress, Ilana Glazer and/or Abbi Jacobson, but this is probably unlikely, particularly in the case of the latter two. Norm MacDonald would be great, as would Bill Hader. Outside of Cranston, I'm not certain if Seinfeld is a fan of any of these people, though.

I've also been waiting for the inevitable Julia Louis-Dreyfus episode for a while. It would also be nice to get Jason Alexander (not playing George) back on the show, but that probably won't happen for a while.

Given how Seinfeld is a huge fan of Mad Men, he should extend the format a bit and invite Matt Weiner. He's mentioned his fondness for the show on Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee and elsewhere; he apparently thinks it's very funny (and, when he was younger, he dreamed of becoming an adman). I think that could be interesting.

To prove Todd Barry can be hilarious off the cuff, people should watch Todd Barry's crowd work stand up special. $5 on Louis CK's site. He's great.

https://buy.louisck.net/purchase/tod...rowd-work-tour

YES. Glad to see more.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Letterman interviewed Seinfeld about the show recently at the Paley Center. Here's the link.

It's interesting that Woody Allen was asked to be on the show, but his response was that he would think about it. It seems unlikely, but I would really like to see this happen.

Very enjoyable episode. Sarah Jessica Parker isn't exactly funny in the same way that most of Seinfeld's guests have been. But the chemistry she and Jerry have is very sweet.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Wow... She looks.... good.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

1) That whole 'glance at the bill, express brief but noticeable alarm, then continue the conversation' bit was so funny. Seinfeld did that in another episode, too, didn't he?

2) "You need me to click twice, I don't even want it anymore [...] you make it one click or I'm out of here!"

3) I also enjoyed SJP's fascination with the idea of everyone lying down and going to sleep at the end of the day. I've had similar thoughts, but it's the kind of thing that can't help but come across as simple, peculiar or spacey. I get it, though. If looked at in a certain way, there is something kind of fascinating about how the seemingly inexhaustible activity of the day -- all of that liveliness, the atomized hustle and bustle of the street -- diminishes into private repose. I guess this is closely related to the fascination gleaned from wondering about any private aspect of the everyday people you pass by on the street. With regards to sleep, though, this perhaps has something to do with how we typically encounter those anonymous people as lively, alert, mobile, and public individuals. There is something a little weird and disjunctive about thinking about the eventuality of, say, the clerk at the convenience store ending up supine on a mattress at nighttime.

4) I love the wistful motivation behind the car purchase.

Wallace physically removing Seinfeld from his bathroom was kind of weird and awkward.

I liked the ongoing commentary about the shorts ("The shorts have gotten so long... another inch and it's pants!").

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    What's with Jerry hating shorts?

But lol @ "we don't need any more hotels we need more streets".
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

By the way, for anyone who finished that episode and wants to listen to another Seinfeld-related thing, the David Lynch Foundation posted this video today (brief snippets of it were on YouTube already, but I don't recall seeing the complete video until now). It's an hour long interview focusing on Transcendental Meditation (Seinfeld also offers another rendition of one my favourite bits of his, where he discusses "Night Guy" and "Morning Guy"). It's pretty interesting:

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    I'm a shorts hater also.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Love shorts. Don't know how you can hate them if you have a warm climate.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I dunno. I still like the concept but I didn't laugh at all with those two, except maybe when Wallace addresses the whole restaurant.

I particularly liked the Ansari and Stewart episodes. The latter features another funny animated segment.

The Aziz episode felt like it was more about the vehicle than the guest. Still, I enjoyed his observation on texting and ignoring people.
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast