Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sorry about that

Sorry about that

Yesterday the threads weren't loading for some unknown reason so I decided to just upgrade to the latest version of VB to see if that'll fix it. The upgrade went haywire and threw up all those errors instead, so I closed the forum while I fixed it. I think everything's fine now...?
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Thanks for your work. Seems to be working.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Indeed. All looks fine. vB updates are wonderful, eh? That's why we ran 3.6 for five years.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Thanks! Glad to have it all back.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Thanks, #8. Appreciate all your work.

Thank you 8!

Is it sad that I basically sat with my finger on the "refresh" key for 2 days?

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Thanks 8!

Thanks for the speedy fix, n8! Glad to have the site back!
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Thanks 8.

If Raiders was still running the site he would claim it still has 99% up time or some shit.

[
    ]
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I'd also like to point out that the upgrade fixed all 8 problems documented here:
    http://matchcut.artboiled.com/showth...l=1#post469405

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Really? Sweet.

I mean, I totally knew it would and thought it was time to address those bugs so I did it.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I wondered why the TapeTalk ap on my smart phone kept sending me error messages every time I tried to check match-cut. Well I'm glad the site is back because I would then have to spend more time on RT and the Corrie. Yikes.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Got exploited. Someone put malicious code into the forum. All fixed now. Sorry it took so long. It was 20 minutes to fix, but took all day to find out what was wrong.

In the future, though, I beg all of you to please refrain from rudely telling me outside the forum to go and fix it when things go wrong. Trust me, I'm on MC all the time, day and night. I'm usually the first to know when it's down, and I don't go, "Meh, I'll deal with it later" when it does.

Getting messages telling me to hurry during my birthday dinner last night sucked, even if it was said jokingly. Because it did make me briefly think that I should wrap up my night and go home to deal with it. Just having that cross my mind felt like shit, because it made the rest of the night seem like I was rebelling against the requests and indignantly refusing to take care of my responsibilities.
    Movie Theater Diary

Fuck that shit.

I would have left it broken for a few days out of spite.

Might actually be nice to shut down the site for the holidays so no one has to worry about it.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Got exploited. Someone put malicious code into the forum. All fixed now. Sorry it took so long. It was 20 minutes to fix, but took all day to find out what was wrong.

In the future, though, I beg all of you to please refrain from rudely telling me outside the forum to go and fix it when things go wrong. Trust me, I'm on MC all the time, day and night. I'm usually the first to know when it's down, and I don't go, "Meh, I'll deal with it later" when it does.

Getting messages telling me to hurry during my birthday dinner last night sucked, even if it was said jokingly. Because it did make me briefly think that I should wrap up my night and go home to deal with it. Just having that cross my mind felt like shit, because it made the rest of the night seem like I was rebelling against the requests and indignantly refusing to take care of my responsibilities.
    That's pretty bullshit. Thanks for fixing it, and sorry to hear that it got in the way of festivities.

Fuck that shit.

I would have left it broken for a few days out of spite.

Might actually be nice to shut down the site for the holidays so no one has to worry about it.
    You would do that.

I'll openly admit I sent the tweet: Hey @artboiled Happy Birthday.. now fucking fix @MatchCut1 <3 Duke

Sorry it bummed you out.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    I'll openly admit I sent the email:

"You better not be enjoying a fucking birthday celebration while I sit here in the dark, cold and alone and staring at a blank space where the forums should be while everyone else I know is out doing things like work, eating, shopping, hanging out, living life, etc. and I am forced to be relegated to this pathetic existence. FIX IT NOW OR I WILL BASH YOU ON MYSPACE."

Yeah, sorry about that. It does seem a little callous in retrospect.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

MYSPACE still exists?

- - - - -
    First, Happy Birthday.

Second, I'll speak only for myself here:

The down times are annoying. Especially as there have been more & more of them in the last year. People come here every day & they get used to the site being up & expect that. Hence, I assume, those messages you got.

Everybody has day jobs & lives & those take priority over this site. I don't think anyone has a problem with that.

But given the age of smartphones & twitter apps, why did it take 10 hours for any admin or mod to even acknowledge there was a problem? (For my money, everyone one the mod team should have access to the @matchcut1 twitter account.)

This site seems so fragile now that every time it goes down I tend to wonder if this is "it," that the forums are done & won't be coming back.

It takes 10 seconds to post "Shit, site is down. At my job, will fix when I get home" to twitter. It might take a few minutes to set Apache to redirect all requests to a page with a short "working on it" message.

That kind of acknowledgement goes a long way to allaying user anxiety, and staving off the kind of messages you got at your dinner. If you don't do that, it looks to the outside like you're either ignoring the problem or that you don't care.

Does most of this suck? Yeah. But that's the admin job. Admin jobs always suck.

2 cents.

I'm more irritated by the lack of pepper talk on twitter than the outage. Thanks for the work 8!

Seriously? A free site run by volunteers goes down for a day and we've got to give someone crap for not notifying us immediately that they know about the problem? On their birthday? I do not get it.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Alone again, naturally eternity's Avatar
    We appreciate the heck out of what you do for us, 8. Compared to the response Rotten Tomatoes would have to its forum's technical hiccups, MC could be down for weeks and you'd still be doing a hell of a job. A day or two every once in a blue moon is what, 99.9% uptime? Can't complain.

I always assume the issue is with the host server and not the site itself, it'll be back eventually. *shrug*
    *coming soon*

Top 100

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    This site is a privilege, not an entitlement. The people who run it owe me nothing.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Seriously? A free site run by volunteers goes down for a day and we've got to give someone crap for not notifying us immediately that they know about the problem? On their birthday? I do not get it.
    You can kill the messenger if you like.

If number8 complains that the user messages upset him, I only suggest a simple solution: Notify users early and often. If one does this, more often than not, negative response will disappear.

Is this fair or rational? Dunno. But it's the nature of the beast. He might not have known what he was getting into when he signed up to be admin, but it is what it is.

Also, I'd argue this site stop being "free" when that Facebook button went up & multiple ads appeared. *shrug*

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast