Thread: Anime Film Discussion

Anime Film Discussion

I did a search for an anime discussion thread and saw that we have a TV one but not a film one. If I'm wrong and I missed it, my apologies and please just go ahead and merge.

Last night Jen and I watched Redline and dug the hell out of its insanity. A futuristic racing flick with drugs, violence, nudity, and a random giant monster fight.

We both commented on more than one occasion that it felt like something that could have come out of "Heavy Metal".

The energy behind it was just amazing. Pure entertainment, striking imagery and use of sound.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

It Makes Me Feel Alone Sxottlan's Avatar
    I was DVRing Akira last night on Toonami, but this morning I see it didn't tape all of it. Annoyed. Haven't see it in years, but I guess a new blu-ray was just released. Might as well pick that up.
    Out of 4 stars:
    The Guest: ***1/2
    Furious 7: ***
    The Tale of Princess Kaguya: ***
    It Follows: ***1/2

Oh, hey, somebody else finally watched Redline. There was a thread in the 2012 forum but I think like 6 people total actually saw it.

Greatest soundtrack ever.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

I really want to see Redline.

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    I really want to see Redline.

I think people like you and Sven would really dig it. It's totally manic and out there. Expressionism to the Nth degree.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Redline is pretty rad.

Quote Quoting Sxottlan (view post)
    I was DVRing Akira last night on Toonami, but this morning I see it didn't tape all of it. Annoyed. Haven't see it in years, but I guess a new blu-ray was just released. Might as well pick that up.
    Whoa whoa...like, a rerelease blu? The blu I have is pretty amazing but if there's a better one...

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I did a search for an anime discussion thread and saw that we have a TV one but not a film one. If I'm wrong and I missed it, my apologies and please just go ahead and merge.

Last night Jen and I watched Redline and dug the hell out of its insanity. A futuristic racing flick with drugs, violence, nudity, and a random giant monster fight.

We both commented on more than one occasion that it felt like something that could have come out of "Heavy Metal".

The energy behind it was just amazing. Pure entertainment, striking imagery and use of sound.
    We have a thread for it in the 2012 database if you wanted to see some more opinions on it:

http://matchcut.artboiled.com/showth...Takeshi-Koike)
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

It Makes Me Feel Alone Sxottlan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Whoa whoa...like, a rerelease blu? The blu I have is pretty amazing but if there's a better one...
    There's a 25th anniversary edition blu-ray. Amazon says it came out about a month ago.
    Out of 4 stars:
    The Guest: ***1/2
    Furious 7: ***
    The Tale of Princess Kaguya: ***
    It Follows: ***1/2

Quote Quoting Sxottlan (view post)
    There's a 25th anniversary edition blu-ray. Amazon says it came out about a month ago.
    Thanks for the heads up! I'm going to have to do some extensive research to see if its worth upgrading.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (2000)
    ★★½

This is going to sound funny but... It gets a little too Animeie for me 15 minutes in. Motorcycles riding on walls. Eyes floating in the sky shooting lasers. A hand with a talking face. None of it makes any sense really. It's a spectacle. Can't follow the reality in the universe.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I totally understand the first half of your review, and thats fine.

I'm not sure what you didn't understand about it though? Could you elaborate?

Why does he have a talking hand?

Who are the multiple enemies he fights?

Do any of their powers follow any set of rules or guidelines?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Its been forever since I've seen the original VHD, but I feel like they addressed the hand thing in that film. I could be wrong.

He's a bounty hunter after the "kidnapped" girl, and the random sub-bosses are henchmen of Meier Link, the "kidnapper".

Usual vampire/werewolf/supernatural being rules apply for each individual. D can walk in the sun because he's like Blade, Link tries because he's mega-powerful he manages to survive, low grade vamps wouldn't have survived that. Its been a while since I've watched so if I'm forgetting something remind me!
    Last edited by Skitch; 01-28-2017 at 11:24 PM.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Its been forever since I've seen the original VHD, but I feel like they addressed the hand thing in that film. I could be wrong.

He's a bounty hunter after the "kidnapped" girl, and the random sub-bosses are henchmen of Meier Link, the "kidnapper".

Usual vampire/werewolf/supernatural being rules apply for each individual. D can walk in the sun because he's like Blade, Link tries because he's mega-powerful he manages to survive, low grade vamps wouldn't have survived that. Its been a while since I've watched so if I'm forgetting something remind me!
    I got the Blade theme from the opening monologue. But the rest is not as simple. There's some chick who can make spikes out of what look like trees. There's a dood who can only kill in shadows. There's another dood who has lightning powers. It's all convoluted. And what about the giant stingrays in the desert? It's all fucked.

The whole movie is on youtube.

I own it! Those are all X-Men type mutants with seperate abilities!

I know, its weird. I cant help it, i think its cool. Its like a grab bag of supernatural abilities. I do feel like they stuck to known rules for labelled supers though.

And the stingrays felt like a Dune type thing. Not that that makes it more logical, but...hooray scifi lol

Anyone ever see Perfect Blue?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Anyone ever see Perfect Blue?
    What the cover of the dvd says is accurate, "This is what would happen if Disney and Hitchcock made a film". Grade: A-

I just rewatched Paprika...Spoilered review for length...[
    ]

This is awesome too if you need more motivation to check these films out:
    Last edited by Skitch; 02-05-2017 at 12:54 PM.

Wow.. Just watched Spirited Away for the first time. That animation. The creativity.