Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Netflix Orders Four Marvel Live-Action Series (plus one miniseries)

- - - - -

Netflix Orders Four Marvel Live-Action Series (plus one miniseries)

Netflix Orders Four Marvel Live-Action Series

Netflix and Disney announced a multiyear deal under which Marvel Television will develop four original live-action series based on four of Marvel’s popular street-hero characters, set to bow in 2015.

Financial terms were not disclosed. Under the agreement, Marvel will develop four serialized programs leading to a miniseries programming event, unfolding over several years. The four series, set in the underworld of Hell’s Kitchen in New York, are to include “Daredevil,” followed by “Jessica Jones,” “Iron Fist” and “Luke Cage.”
    http://variety.com/2013/digital/news...es-1200804887/

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...230981101.html

Whoa.

[
    ]

I just read this and it blew my mind. That is a smart-ass move. These street-level characters definitely work better as a series.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

If this is successful, it's going to kinda suck for Agents of SHIELD. People initially tuned into that to see if they would incorporate these street level heroes and villains that are too obscure for theaters, but now it's going to be way more likely that they show up on these actual superhero shows.

I'd hate to be the guy at Marvel in charge of managing which show gets to use which character.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Those are like... my four favorite Marvel Characters, with the possible exception of Cap.

It'll be nice to see what they can do without any network mandates. Definitely more excited about this than Shield.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    If this is successful, it's going to kinda suck for Agents of SHIELD.
    ABC has a much bigger potential reach than Netflix.

I'd hate to be the guy at Marvel in charge of managing which show gets to use which character.
    Why? It's all Marvel. I assume there will be plenty of cross overs, depending on how they stagger the episodes/series. And all the Netflix shows are potential lead-ins for SHIELD.

Quote Quoting slqrick (view post)
    It'll be nice to see what they can do without any network mandates. Definitely more excited about this than Shield.
    ABC is owned by Disney. Disney owns Marvel.

It's not the network holding SHIELD back. It's Disney.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    ABC has a much bigger potential reach than Netflix.
    Wasn't really talking about ratings. But SHIELD's initial appeal was that it's the Marvel universe on TV, now they're the Marvel show that doesn't feature the popular Marvel characters.

Why? It's all Marvel. I assume there will be plenty of cross overs, depending on how they stagger the episodes/series. And all the Netflix shows are potential lead-ins for SHIELD.
    Yeah, exactly, because it's all one continuity, you can't really have two versions of the same character. If the Daredevil writing team wants to use The Owl in one episode a certain way, and the Luke Cage team has a different take, there's gonna be a guy who has to decide which one gets it. Managing comic book continuity is one of the most tedious jobs for an Editor. I imagine the television equivalent is even more complicated.
    Movie Theater Diary

And then you have to figure out how to deal with the Jessica Jones/Luke Cage relationship across two different series.

Geek freak-out.

- - - - -
    Wasn't really talking about ratings. But SHIELD's initial appeal was that it's the Marvel universe on TV, now they're the Marvel show that doesn't feature the popular Marvel characters.
    There's no reason why every single "Netflix" character can't show up on SHIELD.

Yeah, exactly, because it's all one continuity, you can't really have two versions of the same character. If the Daredevil writing team wants to use The Owl in one episode a certain way, and the Luke Cage team has a different take, there's gonna be a guy who has to decide which one gets it. Managing comic book continuity is one of the most tedious jobs for an Editor. I imagine the television equivalent is even more complicated.
    Might be tedious, but definitely in Marvel's wheelhouse. They do this every month.

Besides, these aren't all network shows. They can drop Daredevil in January when the networks are on break & then have all those character show up on SHIELD during sweeps. Rinse and repeat over the summer, etc. And they have the advantage of planning this all out in advance and working Netflix into their ABC & movie strategy.

Also: I don't think The Owl has so much depth that two sets of writers will have wildly different interpretations.

The Whedonification of Marvel continues. Daredevil showrunner is Drew Goddard. I approve.
    Movie Theater Diary

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Well okay. I'm definitely interested now.

If only Brain K. Vaughn wasn't tangled up in running the apparent disaster zone that is Under The Dome (I don't know, I never actually watched it, everything I've heard since has left me without much urge to ever do so), it could've been cool to see him take over one of these too.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    The Whedonification of Marvel continues. Daredevil showrunner is Drew Goddard. I approve.
    oh shit yeh!
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    :strokes beard:

I'll allow it.

Less awesome. Jessica Jones' is Melissa Rosenberg. Although she's not bad.
    Movie Theater Diary

She sounds pretty passionate about the project, but I wonder if they'll make it an R rated show. It makes much more sense than the original plan for it when it was supposed to air on ABC.

- - - - -
    Although she's not bad.
    Bet it hurt to say that.

[
    ]

I've been told that every single dumb thing that happens in those movies were taken straight from the book, so I'll judge her from Seasons 1-4 of Dexter and Red Widow, which are okay.
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    The O.C.

Was okay.
    Movie Theater Diary

- - - - -
    :lol: You're trying too hard.

But keep fighting that good fight! Never say die!

You should have invoked the closest comparison instead, her other comic book adaptation: Birds of Prey. That was bad.
    Movie Theater Diary

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I can't believe I'm saying this (or admitting to it) but I actually enjoyed the OC.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    You should have invoked the closest comparison instead, her other comic book adaptation: Birds of Prey. That was bad.
    I was mostly trying to tease, not be out and out cruel.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I can't believe I'm saying this (or admitting to it) but I actually enjoyed the OC.
    She was also a writer on "Dexter."

I don't think there's a lot wrong with any of those shows, but if you look at IMDb, her career arc isn't that great.

Goddard is a great pick for "Daredevil." I'm curious what he'll do once he's a little further out from Whedon's shadow.

As soon as I saw the headline I thought "this is a brilliant idea."

Then I saw that Goddard is overseeing 'Daredevil' and practically marked out like 10-year old WWE fan. Holy cow, I am stoked for this. More than anything else coming out on TV or otherwise in the near future.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast