View Poll Results: Thor: The Dark World

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

17 56.67%
  • Nay

13 43.33%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thor: The Dark World (Alan Taylor)

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar

Thor: The Dark World (Alan Taylor)

Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

A lot of fun, reliably effervescent with even more quirky genre blending fill out its expanded scale of all sorts of new realms, magical abilities, and with Taylor's even more richly detailed and fleshed-out updating of Asgard.

I definitely miss Branagh's bravado-fueled, psychedelic Shakespeare, as Taylor's only tangible stylistic and tonal flourishes outside of what the Avengers-verse has already dictated for him are when the film feels like Bizarro Game of Thrones with monsters and laser-y space battles with unexpected echoes of Portal, Doctor Who and a plethora of other unabashedly geeky pools to vaguely borrow from, but where Branagh's vision stuck to a very specific set of tools from its rotation of locales to storytelling techniques, Taylor finds an "anything goes" approach that only yields mixed results when its hand slips onto the "Action Blockbuster Auto-Pilot" button to make sense of it all. And even then it manages to remain entertaining due to the performances, stark visual design, and all the pre-existing foundations of this extended family of films that might root the subsequent inconsistency that is the inevitability of studio control and being a hired director of a film ultimately meant to function as a cog in a bigger machine, but it's also hard to get mad at it when it manages to get as weird as it does in places in ways that could only stem from the director.

But the biggest issue, as much as I'm usually someone that doesn't have this problem when others often do, is that Eccleston's villain is evil because he's the villain and wants to destroy everything because did I mention he's the chosen villain of this movie? The dearth of expressed motivation and reasoned ultimatum here really is a huge wrench in all the loopy goodness of its bigger set-pieces. I heard Taylor mention in an interview that some deleted scenes included more backstory with him, and as much as there's significant stretches where Thor himself seems sidelined way longer than he should, anything more with Malekith along those lines would've really helped peg down a lot of the elements of danger stemming from him amongst the lighter plot threads that often overwhelm him and his threat in the narrative.

The first one isn't a fantastic, flawless piece of work, but it fulfills its goals better than it reasonably should, and I find unusually re-watchable and even look at as the best of the solo Avenger movies. And while The Dark World isn't nearly as well-rounded as Branagh's effort (which now strangely seems even more standalone in how cleanly its origin and backbone of an arc are effortlessly conveyed amongst all of its Avengers stage-setting), there's more than enough that sticks out as excitingly offbeat, visually striking, confidently comedic and just genuine fun to bring it all together despite its shabbier corners. The first third had me a bit worried, but by the end, as always, I was left wanting to see more in its universe as soon as possible (along with credit tags leaving me anticipating the unknown even more).

*** / B

Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)

Seems like interest for this has really fallen. Is it just me?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

It Makes Me Feel Alone Sxottlan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Seems like interest for this has really fallen. Is it just me?
    I'm as interested in this as I've ever been, which has not been as great as my anticipation for other Phase 2 films, but it does feel like this is suddenly sneaking up on us here.

Could be that it's just busier than summertime when we're used to Marvel films opening. I've been incredibly busy at work this week combined with a recent vacation and holidays and such. I sit here and think, "Huh. There's a Marvel film opening Friday? Cool."

It also does not seem like they're pushing this one as much in the commercials. And the ads themselves don't feel like they're giving away the farm.
    Out of 4 stars:
    The Guest: ***1/2
    Furious 7: ***
    The Tale of Princess Kaguya: ***
    It Follows: ***1/2

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Henry rate it against the other recent Marvel movies please.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Henry rate it against the other recent Marvel movies please.
    Hmm, if I'm forced to rank (with semi-related non-Marvel CU barometers):

1. The Avengers
    (Ang Lee's Hulk, Spider-Man 2)
    2. Thor
    3. Iron Man 3
    (The Amazing Spider-Man)
    4. Iron Man 2
    5. Thor: The Dark World
    6. Iron Man
    (Raimi's first Spider-Man)
    7. Captain America: The First Avenger
    (The newest Wolverine, Spider-Man 3)
    8. The Incredible Hulk
    (X-Men Origins: Wolverine)

4 and 5 could be swapped, and depending on how it fares in my mind, The Dark World could sneak closer to the first one over time. So my opinions on the Iron Man trilogy notwithstanding (since I've thought they've only gotten stronger while general internet consensus to feel the opposite), hopefully that helps for you to see where I'm at.

Bottom line, the best elements of this new Thor would elevate it right along the heights of Avengers and the first one, but mental satisfaction points are docked because of all the landings it doesn't stick.

Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)

Automatically discredited because you have Iron Man 2 over Iron Man.

<3<3<3<3

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Henry Gale (view post)
    So my opinions on the Iron Man trilogy notwithstanding (since I've thought they've only gotten stronger while general internet consensus to feel the opposite)
    Iron Man 3 is so clearly the best of the 3. I don't understand why anyone would think differently.

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Iron Man 3 is so clearly the best of the 3. I don't understand why anyone would think differently.
    Heh.

I like Iron Man 2 but its not better than the first Iron Man (which I prefer over the other two) and Iron Man 3. I saw the first Thor in the cheap theater oddly enough, and with finances being rather stretched at the moment that might be same way I see the new one.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

I don't understand why anyone would think differently.
    Because I've read a comic book.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Burn!

I still have yet to see a Marvel film that nails its third act.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Gauging quality differences in the Iron Man series is like comparing the wounds in the burn ward of a hospital.

3 does have Kingsley, who IS the best part of any of them. I will give it that, just as poor Clarence being stuck in that torched car resulted in clearly the most severe case on the floor.

Best cameo ever.

This movie plods whenever Hiddleston and Skarsgard aren't on screen. I like it, particularly the final Thor/Malekith fight (soft spot for dimension hopping gags), but I'm turning my nose up at all these critics saying it's better than the first one.

There has to be a lot of Malekith scenes left on the cutting room floor, right? Otherwise they cast Christopher Eccleston to play a non-character. They could've gotten some stuntman to do this emotionless version of Malekith.

Word.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Me too!

So I found that I quite enjoyed this latest Star Wars prequel. Thor is finally reunited with his beloved Natalie Portman, reprising her role as Padme, only for her to come into contact with a dark presence that attracts a phantom menace from Asgard's history. And so, in order to fight off this attack of the dark elves, Thor is forced to turn to the dark side himself and form an alliance with his brother, Loki, as they seek revenge of the gods in their efforts to restore peace within their galaxy far, far away. My full review of Thor: Episode II - The Dark World: http://cwiddop.blogspot.com/2013/11/...ark-world.html

Also, I gotta say that with both this and Iron Man 3, I'm really digging the hell out of Phase 2 significantly more than Phase 1 so far.

And as for my ranking of the Avengers flicks so far...

1. The Avengers
    2. Iron Man 3
    3. Thor: The Dark World
    4. Captain America: The First Avenger
    5. Iron Man
    6. The Incredible Hulk
    7. Thor
    8. Iron Man 2

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    I still have yet to see a Marvel film that nails its third act.
    Yeah, Thor 2 changed this. What an entertaining final battle.

Film is nonsensical. Love how cosmic it was.
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

Oh, and can Guardians of the Galaxy come out tomorrow? Please?
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

And as for my ranking of the Avengers flicks so far...

1. The Avengers
    2. Iron Man 3
    3. Thor: The Dark World
    4. Captain America: The First Avenger
    5. Iron Man
    6. The Incredible Hulk
    7. Thor
    8. Iron Man 2
    Now THIS is a list I can get behind.

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    Yeah, Thor 2 changed this. What an entertaining final battle.

Film is nonsensical. Love how cosmic it was.
    Mmhmm. I was going to jump in and say, this might be one where they only nail the third act, to the point where it almost retroactively makes up for a bunch of the raggedy threads that lead to it.

That climax is just spectacularly over the top.

Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    There has to be a lot of Malekith scenes left on the cutting room floor, right? Otherwise they cast Christopher Eccleston to play a non-character. They could've gotten some stuntman to do this emotionless version of Malekith.
    Taylor has hinted for a little while that there were some big disagreements over the course of production and in post (including Carter Burwell's ousting and weak spots that prompted the Whedon-script-assisted re-shoots), but now that it's all said and done he seems more content about everything, though getting into specifics about what was taken out, all while politely hinting that he'd like a Director's Cut:

Quote Quoting Crave Online
    I was talking to Christopher Eccleston about Malekith, and he said there some scenes that were dedicated to just his character that were left on the cutting room floor. Is there going to be a big director’s cut?

Taylor: Wouldn’t that be great? [Laughs] Maybe if you start the lobbying right now you can build up enough demand that Marvel will have to respond. I think it’s always the case with these big movies that that happens, and it’s painful to me because I absolutely love, love, love, love a lot of the stuff that fell by the wayside. Some of it was Malekith. You saw a lot more into the relationship between him and Algrim. You saw a lot more of what was driving him personally. And as I mentioned already there was a lot more with the kids, you saw them explore these fantastical events that were going on.

Yeah, that’s excruciating. Whether it’s whole scenes that are dropped or whether it’s beats or lines or moments that fall away in the drive to make it faster, tighter, funnier, quicker, more efficient, so yeah, that’s the excruciating thing. I think if there was a director’s cut it would be that much different. Maybe someday. Maybe someday if I become such a huge success later on in life I can come back and do it.
    And Eccleston's version of things:

“Well, the first conversation with Alan [Taylor] was about how he wanted to avoid “the cackling fiend.” Alan spoke to me a lot about the Dark Elves’ sense of their own gravitas and aristocracy, and their ancientness. He wanted them to have a sense of entitlement and bearing. He wanted them regal, you know, that they felt that they were the superior beings of the Nine Realms. And of course, as in any film, the script that we shot is not the script that people see. There were various scenes in there, which for whatever reason didn’t make the final cut, which shaded in Malekith’s background. So even though the audience don’t hear about it, I’m hoping that it’s still present in the performance.” About those deleted scenes, Eccleston explains, “There was a scene where Malekith was in a certain area of Svartalfheim and remembering his children, his wife and children bathing there, and they had been lost to him. And some of the actions of Odin’s father, Bor, also. There was an extended scene with Anthony Hopkins where they discussed what had caused this ancient grievance between The Dark Elves and themselves. That kind of material. More character-related, yeah.”
    Links 1 and 2

Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)

We might see those as deleted scenes, but there's no way they'd let him have a Director's Cut. I mean, Branagh wanted one and didn't get it.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Doesn't surprise me that Eccleston's presence is annoying and limp. Isn't it always?

Quote Quoting Henry Gale (view post)
    Mmhmm. I was going to jump in and say, this might be one where they only nail the third act, to the point where it almost retroactively makes up for a bunch of the raggedy threads that lead to it.

That climax is just spectacularly over the top.
    It really is probably the most entertaining hero/villain fight in these Marvel movies so far. Like I said, I have a soft spot for dimension hopping, but also all the comedic bits inserted into the fight worked so well despite their unoriginality ([
    ]), and it was great to see Jane given something active to do in that final battle other than just surviving. If there's anything to be said about the Thor movies, it's that it has the best supporting cast out of all the Avengers. Hell, Skarsgard alone.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast