Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Season 1)

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Really enjoyed their ret-con explanation to this:

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    In the latest Brooklyn Nine Nine, Terry Crews says that his favourite cop movie is Francois Truffaut's Breathless. If the mistakes are intentional, that's a pretty weird joke.
    He obviously considers film to be a writer's medium!
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Yeah, that callback was unexpected and welcome.

I died at "Oh my god, it's black Tom Selleck and white Sidney Poitier."
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Really funny episode. The ending was sweet.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    I'm very confused. I swear I tuned in on Tuesday, and they were re-airing the pilot... I thought Sunday's episode was the only new one this week. WTF?

EDIT: DAMMIT. I missed the time shift.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Disregarded this initially for no real reason, but gave it a shot after seeing the comments on here and I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

The episode from last night was probably my favorite so far, or at least close to it. Samberg's response when his date mentions the Die Hard shirt was hilarious.

Even the lesser episodes are watchable, so I don't think I'll be giving up on this one any time soon.

Yeah, it has such an effortlessly watchable vibe, and even when I can predict a punchline or the timing of a gag to a tee, it's still so affably funny. Also, the more Chelsea Peretti, the better.

I just can't believe there's only five episodes left in the season (and that they're having the finale in March). At least the positive attention FOX and everyone else has given it makes a Season 2 seem likely despite its ratings. I'd hate to see it go.

Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)

You know, for a show that's actually made in LA, they do the best NYC in-jokes.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Not sure I've ever experienced a 22-episode season (debut, network, comedy, or otherwise) fly by so consistently in time and effortlessly in quality. I can't believe it's already over just as much as I can't believe they took next to no breaks in the schedule. I'm pretty sure they even aired two episodes during the Superbowl week.

At least we know it has another season and that it's a very hard ensemble to undermine. Most first seasons of comedies either have a short season that re-tools itself immediately after (Parks and Rec, The Office U.S.), or takes a little while to find its niche within their first year (Community, 30 Rock), but this show figured itself out so quickly, and if it can find ways of becoming even better with a more nuanced tone, then I am even more excited for next year. But I mean, I also wouldn't be at all mad at another 22 episodes of this sort of stuff.

Not sure how much of Season 2 will focus on [
    ] We might just catch up with the tail-end of that before things go back to normal.

Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)

Well, they said the work will take 6 months, which is exactly how long they'll be away. I'm betting that S2 will start with Jake's first day back at the NYPD, and we'll only see the FBI stuff in flashbacks.
    Movie Theater Diary

Picked up Hulu Plus for Criterion streaming and this--been very pleased with the consistency of this so far. A lot feels like a carry-over from Parks and Rec character design, but there's still a sweetness to it that it works. It helps that the women here feel legitimately interesting, a fact that few comedies get right.

Just finished the Thanksgiving episode--skimming this makes me excited for the Christmas ep.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12