View Poll Results: Yay or Nay

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

5 45.45%
  • Nay

6 54.55%

Thread: Escape From Tomorrow (Randy Moore)

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar

Escape From Tomorrow (Randy Moore)

TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Up on Amazon Instant Video for anyone who this is not playing near.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Alone again, naturally eternity's Avatar
    Seeing this Tuesday.

Playing at a theater that doesn't take MoviePass. Annoying.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

A very reluctant yay. It's very funny but overwhelmingly misogynistic, and the whole thing really feels like a half measure. Every interesting concept or idea that it explores is only touched upon, hinted at, or is a red herring. If it took place at a fictional park, it probably would not work at all.

Best Boy
    :|

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    Quote Quoting wigwam (view post)
    http://matchcut.artboiled.com/showth...l=1#post496910

I didn't much care for it, gents. Ta...
    How far into this did you last? I thought it was lousy as well (comparisons that I've read with Eraserhead are obscene), but at least some stuff starts happening in the second half to break up the tedium.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

Quote Quoting Rowland (view post)
    How far into this did you last? I thought it was lousy as well (comparisons that I've read with Eraserhead are obscene), but at least some stuff starts happening in the second half to break up the tedium.
    Comparing this to Eraserhead, or any Lynch film for that matter, feels lazy to me. It's black and white and "weird" (whatever that means) but that's where the similarities end.

Best Boy
    Quote Quoting Rowland (view post)
    How far into this did you last?
    40 mins or an hour? Maybe just 30, i dont remember - what happens? [
    ]

Quote Quoting wigwam (view post)
    40 mins or an hour? Maybe just 30, i dont remember - what happens? [
    ]
    [
    ]

Best Boy
    sounds like the traffic jam home was the better choice

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I thought this was phenomenal. Way better than my expectations led me to believe it would turn out. Even the CGI was really well crafted in the manner they used it. I didn't think it dragged or was boring at all; in fact this is one of the few movies this year where I really thought it ended too soon.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Hey, this shit is pretty funny. Especially the last 30 minutes where it went nuts. The initial hype didn't really do it any favors by calling it arthouse surrealism. I was expecting it to be a lot more oblique and flowery based on the reviews, and very much anticipated a sluggish middle. Definitely didn't expect it to be so straightforward, briskly paced, and full of B-movie humor. "Cat flu" slayed me. Kinda felt like Guy Maddin making a movie for Banksy. Or maybe Hanksy.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Not sure why I found the "intermission" card to be funny, but I laughed pretty hard when it randomly popped up.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting eternity (view post)
    A very reluctant yay. It's very funny but overwhelmingly misogynistic, and the whole thing really feels like a half measure. Every interesting concept or idea that it explores is only touched upon, hinted at, or is a red herring. If it took place at a fictional park, it probably would not work at all.
    I want to give it the benefit of the doubt and say that that stuff is intended to be a satire of good old Disney sexism, since the film borrows quite a few Disney fairy tale imagery and tropes. Can't really defend it with conviction, though.

I give it credit for actually making the fact that it's shot in Disneyworld a significant part of the movie and not just a production gimmick, since a lot of what it's about would be even more inert if it's just generic theme park. Hell, it even addresses the popular Disney urban legends.
    Movie Theater Diary

Ew...

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Yeah, this was great. What 8 said - it's really a B movie throughout, with some really broad and (to me) hilarious humor. People shouldn't really be comparing it to Lynch, but Polanski doesn't seem like such a stretch to me.

I really don't wish to hear why someone would call this "mysoginistic"... That criticism of things just gives me headaches.