Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (Season 1)

It Makes Me Feel Alone Sxottlan's Avatar
    I think this show turned a corner with "F.Z.Z.T." Real strong acting there. And now with "The Magical Place," we have another strong entry imho. Nice work by Clark Gregg. Production is still kind of cheesy in spots. The test town is an example. I liked the weird feel of it, but it also seemed rather slapdash.

[
    ]
    Out of 4 stars:
    The Guest: ***1/2
    Furious 7: ***
    The Tale of Princess Kaguya: ***
    It Follows: ***1/2

Not watching this, but Bill Paxton joins the cast.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Catching up and so far liking it better than last week. Cracking up at how much the boiler room is The Bronze. Like, exactly.

And yet again pleasantly surprised. The premise was ridiculous, but I think we all know you can't go far wrong with a train heist episode. Splitting the narrative was a clever way to let the characters shine individually (with my personal favorites being Simmons' over-prepared undercover work and Fitz grouching about how unsupportive Skye is as a fake girlfriend.)
    ...and the milk's in me.

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    I really liked the past two episodes, they're delving deeper into some of these characters and doing some fun things.

It Makes Me Feel Alone Sxottlan's Avatar
    Agreed. It does feel like the show is finally getting its sea legs. The very nature of SHIELD seems to be ever changing and hard to pin down; these myriad facilities with code names right out of Lost appear to denote a worldwide network. And it looks like this episode kicks off a storyline running up to The Winter Soldier, so perhaps SHIELD is about to get even more shadowy.

And sooo, in the Guest House, [
    ]
    Out of 4 stars:
    The Guest: ***1/2
    Furious 7: ***
    The Tale of Princess Kaguya: ***
    It Follows: ***1/2

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    I saw a commercial for this yesterday and had forgotten it was even still on the air. After the first couple episodes I haven't heard anyone talking about it.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

I thought the last ep wasn't very good. The writing is so bad on this show the plot has become utterly asinine.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Stopped watching around episode five, but decided to check in after hearing good things about the past couple of episodes. This last one was...pretty good, actually. The team actually felt like a team, the characters seem to have a purpose, and the overall story (at least for this episode) felt much tighter and better written.

I may have come back in with much lower expectations, but it was a pleasant surprise to see it actually functioning as a show.

I did not realize that Ming-Na Wen (Melinda May) was the speaking voice of Mulan.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    I did not realize that Ming-Na Wen (Melinda May) was the speaking voice of Mulan.
    That's pretty much the only thing I know her from other then being the voice of Finn's mom in Adventure Time.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

She had a large role on Eureka.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Had this episode on in the background while someone else watched it, and I'm pretty sure it spoiled major aspects of Winter Soldier for me.

Do they really expect every viewer of the series to have already seen the movie in its opening 3 or 4 days? I mean, as tacky and exploitive as it could be, a message of sorts up front to let people know it takes place directly after the events of the Captain America would make sense in a case like this, even if it could just as easily turn away a portion of the live audience immediately.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

The plot twists on this show make zero sense.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Ironically, by introducing that out of nowhere reveal, everyone's saying that Ward is interesting for the very first time.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Well, he kind of is. I feel like that was the sort of thing they ideally would have revealed at the end of the pilot, but knew they had to wait till Winter Soldier came out. I'm intrigued by how things played out.

Well, congratulations, Winter Soldier. I am now officially invested in this show for the first time. Turns out Agent McChiseled Boringface makes for a pretty fun villain. He's got way more chemistry with Bill Paxton than any of the regular cast.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Yeah, the show is really benefiting from having the shackles off. It could go in a few interesting places, although the new black dude is so Hydra it's not even funny.

On the other hand, I was reading about how many hints of Hydra and Ward's undercover are in the pilot alone and also throughout the first half of the season, and it makes me kind of befuddled. Because that means they've been waiting to drop this on viewers for 6 months and were basically doing fillers until Winter Soldier comes out. Kind of a weird way to do a TV show.
    Movie Theater Diary

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    But not really weird for a Whedon production. This show consistently reminds me of a elongated Dollhouse in that regard.

Amy Acker. Always good for a sappy moment or two.
    Movie Theater Diary

Last night's episode was exactly the kind of show I was expecting when they announced this.
    Movie Theater Diary

Yeah this was just an awesome episode. My wife doesn't watch much Marvel stuff at all but she was invested as soon as she saw Cobie Smulders in the opening scene.

It's nice to know that the show can deliver its best episode yet on its own terms. The praise on "Turn, Turn, Turn" was deserved, but that episode largely hinged on the fact that it's directly tied to the events of The Winter Soldier. This episode, on the other hand, is still about the after effects of the movie, but all the best scenes are payoffs to plots that it established itself, like Fitz' relationship with Ward, Deathlok, and the whole TAHITI project secret. Good on them.
    Movie Theater Diary

I hope they go full villain with Ward instead of trying to rehab his character.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast