Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (Season 1)

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (Season 1)

First episode was purdy fun!

Has a long way to go for me to view it as great, but there's a lot of strong, breezily enjoyable elements on display to make that possible.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

- - - - -
    Feels like an exercise in Disney branding.

First episode was weighed down by 1,000 lbs of exposition. Aside from a few Whedonesque quips here and there, did anyone actually say anything that wasn't (1) technobabble and (2) immediately relevant to the plot?

Love Gregg. Bored by the rest.

Still haven't seen it. Not really expecting to love it considering I've never seen a Whedon pilot that's great.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)

First episode was weighed down by 1,000 lbs of exposition. Aside from a few Whedonesque quips here and there, did anyone actually say anything that wasn't (1) technobabble and (2) immediately relevant to the plot?

It wasn't great, and definitely labored in getting the ball rolling. Still enjoyed it overall, but the pilot definitely reeked of studio involvement, which is fine. I hope that's not the case going forward, because there's a lot of potential for great stories here. Cast seems fairly generic though.

I haven't watched this yet but every Whedon show starts out bad or medicore. They improve with time.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting slqrick (view post)
    It wasn't great, and definitely labored in getting the ball rolling. Still enjoyed it overall, but the pilot definitely reeked of studio involvement, which is fine. I hope that's not the case going forward, because there's a lot of potential for great stories here. Cast seems fairly generic though.
    It's Disney/Marvel reinforcing their franchise on ABC. They'll never get away from studio involvement. These productions are practically machine tooled.

Agree about the cast.

Forgot to mention I thought the production values were ace. They spent a lot of money and it showed.

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    I haven't watched this yet but every Whedon show starts out bad or medicore. They improve with time.
    True -- but, the difference here is that Whedon is playing in someone else's sandbox. And he's not as directly involved day-to-day.

SHIELD will have to span an awkward space. They'll never be able to do anything that effects the larger franchise, and it's unlikely that the movies will have much, if any, impact on the show.

SHIELD will have to span an awkward space. They'll never be able to do anything that effects the larger franchise, and it's unlikely that the movies will have much, if any, impact on the show.
    That's best for everyone, really.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    But this is a problem, isn't it? Not like this is his first TV show. It's his fifth. Why can't he ever seem to figure out what kind of a show he wants to write from the beginning?

(though I think Firefly is an exception. that was pretty great throughout.)

I wasn't encouraged by this pilot. We'll see where it goes.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    That's best for everyone, really.
    It makes sense on a bigger scale & with what they're trying to do. But it will mean SHIELD will always be a dramatically timid, milquetoast kind of show.

That won't play well with an audience that's getting increasingly used to bigger surprises and a weekly fix of dramatic jolts. The people who watch stuff like Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, and Breaking Bad will be bored to tears by SHIELD. And it won't be because it's network and lacks blood & boobs. It's because SHIELD won't be able to take any chances, by design.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    It was -- at least if you watch them in the 'correct' order. But it still took him ~10 episodes to do anything with River Tam and the larger plot line around her (which seemed to be the crux of the show, right when it was cancelled).

Before that, she serves no purpose except to be a minor source of antagonism and mumbles annoyingly in every episode.

Okay, watched it. Not great, but honestly, better than my expectation. Lags a ton in the middle, and I was weirded out by the borrowing of Iron Man 3's threat. I liked the funny parts and the sad parts, so that's encouraging since those are the two things Whedon does best. I'm thinking Cobie Smulders will probably join the show full time in S2.
    Movie Theater Diary

Woah, so Jim Steranko is apparently going to be reviewing every episode for Hollywood Reporter. His first one's up, and he... casually dropped in a racist remark. What a weird read.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...tor-jim-636457
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    But this is a problem, isn't it? Not like this is his first TV show. It's his fifth. Why can't he ever seem to figure out what kind of a show he wants to write from the beginning?

I wasn't encouraged by this pilot. We'll see where it goes.
    I think he knows the show he wants to write from the beginning he just likes to start with really low stakes so he can amp that shit up season to season. That said I agree with you that he really ought to start with a bang initially anyway.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

AGENTS OF S.H&I-E$L#D (Season 1)

This was... fine. About what I expected. Given the pedigree, I'm expecting a lot of character deepening, and I'd rather have it happen soon. Skye's hair-pin turn into a team member was annoying.

Coulson, though, has smirked his way into my cold heart.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Aw, you guys are no fun.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Oh, I didn't realize it was intentional.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Oh, I didn't realize it was intentional.
    :lol:

Doesn't matter. Typing out with its ridiculous punctuation annoys me.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Yeah, this could grow on me.

Movie Theater Diary

Yeah, pilot is ok. I concur with the rest of you that Whedon's shows never hit the ground running, but this is the first time I haven't been instantly enamored by the cast. Clark Gregg is a snug fit, but as our protagonist I find him lacking. He strikes me more as the scene stealing supporting character. The other guy has an Angel wannabe vibe going for him. Skye is a role Eliza Dushku would have been home in ten years ago. The two techies at least have some good chemistry. I'm in for now, I'm waiting for the "Man on the Street" moment.

I'm really not sure what I think of this. It was pretty boring, and Whedon will have significantly less control in coming episodes. It's going to be difficult to keep watching.

I was entertained, and I'm looking forward to more. It's not like it's mandatory or anything.

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    Just watched it and like most thought it was interesting and a decent bridge to what the series wants to become. Jed and Co are the big ones and I've come to trust them as much as I do Joss so I think it'll be good.

Second ep was alright. As with much of Whedon's work when it's not that great the humor makes it enjoyable enough to continue. I'll keep watching.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

The Skye/jock agent scene felt so painfully forced, down to the Dawson's Creek score. Still enjoyed it for the most part. Coulson is awesome.

We were indifferent after the pilot. Forgot to record the second ep; will wait to see people's reaction as the season progresses to allocate time to this.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast