Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gotham

Gotham

http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/comm...-series-drama/

a new series about Commissioner Gordon before he knew Batman. Heck, before there was a Batman probably.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

This has all the chance in the world to be great. Slightly disappointing that Batman isn't involved, even if it was as a background player. I think an entire season dedicated to Joker and the rise and fall of Batgirl would be perfectly suited for TV.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Ooooof, what a missed opportunity. Pre-Batman means pre-villains, and an attempt to ground it in Nolan-like reality. I was excited for something Gotham Central-like before reading that premise. This sounds like it's going to be a typical police procedural.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Yeah, before reading I assumed this was a DC answer to Agents of SHIELD and we would be getting to see how the police department works parallel to Batman's escapades while battling the villains of the city.

This just seems dull and rote.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Well according to the article:

"It explores the origin stories of Commissioner James Gordon and the villains who made Gotham City famous." So I assume they'll be some famous villains in it.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Ooooof, what a missed opportunity. Pre-Batman means pre-villains, and an attempt to ground it in Nolan-like reality. I was excited for something Gotham Central-like before reading that premise. This sounds like it's going to be a typical police procedural.
    Exactly what I thought too.

Heh.

I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Surely some villains will make an appearance. Otherwise, why even exist?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I'm sure there will be villains. What I want to know is if they'll be supervillains, or if they're going to be the Nolan/Arrow variety. I brought up Gotham Central because that comic is basically the cast of The Wire/Homicide ducking Mr. Freeze's ray guns and facing hostage situations where the perp is mind controlled by the Mad Hatter, that kind of stuff. I think that's interesting. A cop show that has regular cops going against regular mobsters like Penguin or Black Mask is somewhat less interesting than that. Here's hoping, though.
    Movie Theater Diary

I'm sure there will be villains. What I want to know is if they'll be supervillains, or if they're going to be the Nolan/Arrow variety. I brought up Gotham Central because that comic is basically the cast of The Wire/Homicide ducking Mr. Freeze's ray guns and facing hostage situations where the perp is mind controlled by the Mad Hatter, that kind of stuff. I think that's interesting. A cop show that has regular cops going against regular mobsters like Penguin or Black Mask is somewhat less interesting than that. Here's hoping, though.
    Now this is something I would be interested in.

Gotcha. Both can work. I don't know if a Mr. Freeze ray gun is anything I want to see attempted on Fox budget, but a Mad Hatter/Penguin/Riddler could certainly work.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Yeah, agreed about the missed opportunity. Gotham Central type of show would've been amazing. The thing I loved about that series was the fallout that the cops had to deal with from being in situations like that. Having GCPD cops deal with PTSD after Joker burned one of their faces off woulda been inneresting.

Quote Quoting slqrick (view post)
    Yeah, agreed about the missed opportunity. Gotham Central type of show would've been amazing. The thing I loved about that series was the fallout that the cops had to deal with from being in situations like that. Having GCPD cops deal with PTSD after Joker burned one of their faces off woulda been inneresting.
    Yeah, I think an entire season of the Joker in the New 52 series would be interesting without a Batman to stop him.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting slqrick (view post)
    Yup. I love that David Simon is actually a recurring character in it, because that book really took a page from his approach by showing the human elements. Random cop gets frozen to death by Mr. Freeze in the first issue, we get to follow the officer's widow's grieving process, and then a year later we actually get to see Freeze on trial and how his insanity defense affects her closure. Just top notch stuff.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Now this is something I would be interested in.
    Same here. Imagine a cop trying to battle Clayface.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

This is written by the creator of The Mentalist and directed by the director of the CSI franchise.

:|
    Movie Theater Diary

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    I think The Mentalist is a witty show with solid character chemistry. Not anything I follow closely mainly because it's so repetitive in nature, but I wouldn't view it as a strike against an upcoming show to be written by its creator.

CSI, however...

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Heller also co-created and was a lead writer for Rome. I don't think Danny Cannon's involvement goes beyond the pilot, no?
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

The Mentalist falls into that "Burn Notice" category of shows that a lot of people apparently really like judging from the amount of screenshots I've seen turned into image macros and gifs but I don't know if I've ever spoken to a single person who has seen them.
    Movie Theater Diary

The Mentalist falls into that "Burn Notice" category of shows that a lot of people apparently really like judging from the amount of screenshots I've seen turned into image macros and gifs but I don't know if I've ever spoken to a single person who has seen them.
    What is Burn Notice?

Kevin Reilly today announced that the series will include all of the classic Batman villains as well as heroes, including young Bruce Wayne. “The show will track Bruce from a child (around 12 years old) until he puts on a cape (in the finale),” he said. Also on tap are the Riddler, Catwoman, the Penguin. “We will see how they get to become what they are as Gotham is teetering on the edge,” Reilly said. “It is an operatic soap with a larger than life quality.”
    Hurm.
    Movie Theater Diary

The reluctance (or inability) of these shows to put a hero in a suit and have him do what he's famous for is maddening. I am just not interested in another "tangentially about (superhero)"/origin show.

What station is this? In a crazy way, it could be awesome, but it seems like a CW Smallville idea in reality.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Neclord (view post)
    The reluctance (or inability) of these shows to put a hero in a suit and have him do what he's famous for is maddening. I am just not interested in another "tangentially about (superhero)"/origin show.
    The new Batman TV show... this time told from the point of view of a pig on a farm 200 miles from Gotham City.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    The new Batman TV show... this time told from the point of view of a pig on a farm 200 miles from Gotham City.
    I'd watch that.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast