Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Legend of Korra (Season 2)

The last four episodes, from the two-parter to the most recent cliffhanger, have really brought the show back on its feet again. Really beautiful and affecting, especially with Tenzin's spiritual impotence and the journey to the spirit world with Jinora. Finally getting back to some heavy shit again. Love it.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

This wrapped up quite well but I have a few quibbles. SPOILERS for the last four episodes of the season.

[
    ]
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

What the hell guys? Watch the rest of the show so we can chat about it.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Doesn't the finale air next Saturday? I don't have it on my DVR yet.

There was an early internet release.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    That felt a lot more like a series finale then a season finale. I hadn't actually thought of a bunch of the stuff you brought up there like [
    ]

Quote Quoting Thirdmango (view post)
    That felt a lot more like a series finale then a season finale. I hadn't actually thought of a bunch of the stuff you brought up there like [
    ]
    [
    ]
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

I thought the last episodes were pretty good, although I liked the lead up to them better, actually. I think the overall spirit arc was handled pretty well, made sense, gave us a lot of pretty great visuals, gave Korra (and some other characters) something to struggle with and grow past, so on. I miss Beifong having a more prominent role. I thought the "BE CAREFUL!" line was hilarious, actually, although I agree that I just do not get what they're doing with []. Presume that will be developed too in the near future. Can't get behind the voice actor who did Vaatu. Some terrible line readings, trying too hard for portentous and malevolent. First season was stronger overall, I think, but I enjoyed this one plenty.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

There was lots of stuff in the finale that it didn't feel like they adequately established could happen.

[
    ]

I watch on Hulu so I'm always a month behind, but the finale really does capture what I feel superhero stories should be. Saving the world should be an emotional rush, and that's something these guys always understood. I get teary at the big moments of this universe, and that's exactly how it should be done.

I did wonder if they were going to drag out the 10,000 years of Dark Avatar thing, but I think it would have been somewhat pointless to do that, since there are still a lot to this new era left to be explored without plunging it into the post-apocalypse. As it is, the fact that Korra can no longer access her past lives and that spirits now freely roam the world are enough of a gamechanger to make the next Book interesting.

BTW, it's really confusing, but this is technically still Season 1, production-wise. Book 3 will be the start of Season 2.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

They originally planned this as four seasons, correct? So we're only a fourth in?

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Lucky (view post)
    They originally planned this as four seasons, correct? So we're only a fourth in?
    number8 is right, but only in a weird way. Production codes are the only thing saying this is still season 1. It's still halfway through the series and still after book 2, and so basically everyone still refers to it as season 2. It could also end up maybe only being 2 DVDs or 4, who knows. But the production code stuff isn't really confusing beyond it just being there especially considering there was a 15 month break in between books 1 and 2.

We've done 26 episodes, there are 26 episodes left.

Anyway, speaking of high profile voices, Glenn from Walking Dead killed it as the first Avatar.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Thirdmango (view post)
    number8 is right, but only in a weird way. Production codes are the only thing saying this is still season 1. It's still halfway through the series and still after book 2, and so basically everyone still refers to it as season 2. It could also end up maybe only being 2 DVDs or 4, who knows. But the production code stuff isn't really confusing beyond it just being there especially considering there was a 15 month break in between books 1 and 2.

We've done 26 episodes, there are 26 episodes left.
    It's going to be 4 DVDs, since they're releasing it per Book. Streaming-wise, Hulu lists Book 2 as Season 1 episodes 13-26, while Amazon Instant lists Book 2 as Season 2.

The reason for this nonsense is that the show was originally produced as a 12-episode miniseries. In the middle of production, because of the huge hype it received after its announcement, Nickoledeon changed it to a full season order. In animation, a full season is 26 episodes, so they were given 14 additional episodes. Rather than prolonging the story they've written or create filler episodes, the production team decided to just make a 14 episode sequel, which became Book 2. Then, after the series premiered and became Nickelodeon's highest rated program, they ordered another 26 episode season, which the production team is dividing into two 13-episode Books. It's really all just financial shuffling, similar to what AMC did with the final seasons of Breaking Bad and Mad Men.

Television episode orders are weird, man.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I watch on Hulu so I'm always a month behind, but the finale really does capture what I feel superhero stories should be. Saving the world should be an emotional rush, and that's something these guys always understood. I get teary at the big moments of this universe, and that's exactly how it should be done.

I did wonder if they were going to drag out the 10,000 years of Dark Avatar thing, but I think it would have been somewhat pointless to do that, since there are still a lot to this new era left to be explored without plunging it into the post-apocalypse. As it is, the fact that Korra can no longer access her past lives and that spirits now freely roam the world are enough of a gamechanger to make the next Book interesting.

BTW, it's really confusing, but this is technically still Season 1, production-wise. Book 3 will be the start of Season 2.
    Yeah, but the post-apocalypse is bad ass. Also nothing says season finale like the end of the world.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12