Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Legend of Korra (Season 2)

The Legend of Korra (Season 2)

Anyone watch the premiere tonight? How was it?
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Just watched. Good opening, I thought. I still don't feel quite the connection that I did to the original series, but I'm surprised bow much I missed this world.

I echo Mara. I really love this world. If ever someone invents some kind of POV virtual reality device that connects to your brain while you're dying and somehow can transport you to a world of your choice to live out years and years eternal after your bodily death...I would choose this world. Odd thought, but there you go.

Also, these were two rather slight episodes for a starter, but I trust it'll get firing soon enough. That seems to be the pattern. Korra's father is kinda meh, and the uncle seems a little on-the-nose so far.

[
    ]
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Audrey Plaza only has one real schtick, but her voice acting was perfect here.

I understand where you're coming from with wanting to live in this world. I even go as far as to wonder what type of bender I'd want to be. I profusely enjoy this show as an adult, but its shining aspect is how it can tap into my childhood imagination like that.

While the show may be treading some common ground with its protagonist resisting authority figures and finding her identity, the world is always a marvel and unique. I don't think I'll ever tire of it, so the show will always have a leg up in that regard.

I like Korra as a protagonist, but the supporting cast still feels kind of dull. There's no Toph or Sokka or Iroh.

I love Bolin, and I'm fond of Tenzin and Asami. Probably not at the level of the original series, but they're good people.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I like Tenzin and Asami too. Bolin just feel like a lesser Sokka to me.

Surprising voice cast in this show. Didn't know that Tenzin was played by J.K. Simmons, or that his wife and daughter were played by the comedian Maria Bamford and Sally Draper.

I love Tenzin unreservedly (part of this is probably because I love Simmons unreservedly). I also enjoy Bolin/Pabu and Asami. Mako tries, the dear.

We're also forgetting Lin Beifong from the first book. She is wonderful, and I really hope she has a good part in this book. I also really enjoyed Amon as an antagonist. I thought that throughline in the first book was as strong as it reasonably could have been given their intent to only have it play out in one book.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

The stuff with Korra and her uncle has been kind of disappointing so far. Has gone exactly where you thought it would go when he first turned up. Hopefully there are some surprises to come.

Been enjoying the more low-key parts with Tenzin and his family more.

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    The stuff with Korra and her uncle has been kind of disappointing so far. Has gone exactly where you thought it would go when he first turned up. Hopefully there are some surprises to come.
    Agree with this. That's been pretty simplistic thus far, although there have been other pleasures as well.

--Homer

Can't help feeling like the animation is slightly subpar compared to last season. Not sure why exactly, but the action scenes feel a little less...fluid? Could just be my imagination.

This season has been good, but lacking the hook that the stuff with Amon had in the first season. I am enjoying Tenzen and his family quite a bit.

Quote Quoting slqrick (view post)
    Can't help feeling like the animation is slightly subpar compared to last season. Not sure why exactly, but the action scenes feel a little less...fluid? Could just be my imagination.
    First 6 episodes were done by a different studio apparently.

The latest mostly Korra-less episode was definitely the best one so far.

This double episode was done by the original studio and was fantastic. More like this please.

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    This double episode was done by the original studio and was fantastic. More like this please.
    Yep, really great ep.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Man, another half hour and that could have easily been a film. The style reminded me of a moving Hokusai painting. Stellar episode that I need to airmark for the Cutties next year.

This series, and I include the original as well, has a way of sucker punching you with moments of genuine emotional rush. The final moment with Juan is one of those moments. I'm still kind of dumbfounded how affecting that episode was following a character we just met.

This one gets a save on the DVR.

This is awesome.

I am really enjoying this series, although it looks online like some fans like it except for the character of Korra. I actually really like her.
    ...and the milk's in me.

My brother told me that people on the internet were angry at the clichedness of the amnesia plot line at the end of the last episode. Hilarious that it ended up being just a vessel for the best episode the show has produced.

The only big problem I've really had with this season has been the animation, and wow, was that remedied with that two parter. Just a really incredible hour of television.

I liked Korra in Season One but find her shrill, thoughtless and lacking nuance in this season.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

I didn't realize but apparently the Zuko's mom question has been answered in some graphic novels.
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Another fantastic episode. They're really making up for the lackluster start of the season.

The rest of the episodes are going to be animated by the Korean studio that did the first season, the two-part Beginnings and this episode. so it should end well.

This was a weird and wonderful and beautiful episode.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Echoing the sentiments, really incredible episode.

I think what made it so striking for me was the great character development for Korra.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast