Page 764 of 1266 FirstFirst ... 2646647147547627637647657667748148641264 ... LastLast
Results 19,076 to 19,100 of 31646

Thread: Video Games...Discuss Them

Quote Quoting Lasse (view post)
    I was really looking forward to the Aliens game. Is there a similar game - a good one - I should play?

I actually thought "Aliens vs. Predator" from a few years back was pretty decent. It has the lack of polish of a game that isn't a AAA title, and the Predator controls are a little weird, but it was a surprising amount of fun. Multiplayer was a hoot, too.

"Destiny" sure does look neat, but I am very disappointed in its being online-only.

I hope that by the time it is released we have gotten a better internet connection out here. There are rumors that Bell spent a few million bringing cable into this area, and that it would be active by this Fall. If so, awesome.

I also will probably get this one on the next-gen XBox. A Bungie game is worth it.

Voltage!!!
    Aha! Thanks. I thought that one was supposed to be pretty awful? But I mostly want to play as a marine, so if the Predator controls are a bit wonky it won't matter much.
    "Listen man, it might be hard to understand, but
    Don't mourn the dead,
    Celebrate the life they gave"
    - Kashmir "Seraphina"

So what do you guys think about the report that the PS4 won't be backwards compatible, but will use Gaikai to make PS3 games available on the console?

Quote Quoting Lasse (view post)
    Aha! Thanks. I thought that one was supposed to be pretty awful? But I mostly want to play as a marine, so if the Predator controls are a bit wonky it won't matter much.
    The reviews were middling (in the 6.5 to 8 out of 10 range). It was nothing revolutionary, and the graphics are a bit dated, but it's perfectly functional and, as a massive fan of the Alien franchise, I had a heck of a lot of fun with it. Between it and "Colonial Marines", it seems like the definite one to go to.

Quote Quoting number8
    So what do you guys think about the report that the PS4 won't be backwards compatible, but will use Gaikai to make PS3 games available on the console?
    First I've heard of this but sounds like a way to get the best of both worlds.

That will mean, though, that people who want to play games they already purchased on PS3, on their PS4, will have to rebuy them, no?

I finished "Dead Space 3" last night, and holy hell that was amazing.

Incredible ending, and the way the universe expands and evolves through the final third of the game is just incredible.

The final boss fight is about the closest I've ever seen in a video game to someone fighting one of the Old Ones straight out of a Lovecraft story. The size, the scale, and of course, the tentacles.

It was a totally bonkers, immense cosmic battle of psychic forces and disgusting, gelatinous monsters the size of planets.

Visceral has created a sci-fi video game fiction of the same quality and depth of "Halo" and "Mas Effect".

I want more.

Finished Uncharted 3. Love the whole series despite the flaws.

I beat Darksiders on 360, but its free for PS Plus (of which I'm on a free month). Man, I forgot how fun this game is! I need to make the sequel a priority.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Finished Uncharted 3. Love the whole series despite the flaws.
    I played the first two and am unaware of any flaws.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    I played the first two and am unaware of any flaws.
    Some of the platforming can be twitchy. Especially when hanging on a ledge and trying to jump left or right, he continually jumps up. Have to let go the control sticks to let them reset and then push which direction and jump. Occasionally enemies appear behind you from out of nowhere impossibly causing unfair deaths. Not deal breakers, very few games are all the way perfect. That aside, the story and the feeling of "playing a movie" are so well done (imo, I know not everyone digs that, understandably) it far outweighs the minor griefs. Overall I really enjoy the series and really look forward to a movie version (inevitable) starring Nathan Fillion (casting anyone else is dumb), hopefully directed by someone really competent. I don't think there is another game I've played that better suited for a film adaptation.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I have way more xbox 360 backlog so I hope the 720 is BC.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

I don't really care about backwards compatibility. On the rare occasions that I've wanted to play PS2 games I have just dusted off the old PS2. I imagine it will be the same for the PS3.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

I'm really enjoying the heck out of Alice the Madness Returns. Love these kinds of fanciful action-platformers, a genre we used to get a lot. Makes me wish more-than-ever that Naughty Dog would have continued the Jak and Daxter (so long as they were more like the first one) series in the PS3. Fun levels, neat combat, interesting visuals and audio. $20 well spent.

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    I'm really enjoying the heck out of Alice the Madness Returns. Love these kinds of fanciful action-platformers, a genre we used to get a lot. Makes me wish more-than-ever that Naughty Dog would have continued the Jak and Daxter (so long as they were more like the first one) series in the PS3. Fun levels, neat combat, interesting visuals and audio. $20 well spent.

Yeah, it was a great game.

I had great memories of the original "Alice", as well, but replaying it (as it comes for free with "Madness Returns") was not kind to it.

You should play "Dead Space 3"

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Yeah, it was a great game.

I had great memories of the original "Alice", as well, but replaying it (as it comes for free with "Madness Returns") was not kind to it.
    Ha! Yes, I just tried to play the original. Ouch. Better left in memory.

I still need to play Dead Space 2!

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Some of the platforming can be twitchy. Especially when hanging on a ledge and trying to jump left or right, he continually jumps up. Have to let go the control sticks to let them reset and then push which direction and jump. Occasionally enemies appear behind you from out of nowhere impossibly causing unfair deaths.
    I never had any problems with the platforming, and it's right up there with Super Mario Galaxy in terms of platforming for me. So much fun jumping from ledge to ledge.

I'm kind of ambivalent about a movie adaptation. I feel like we already have Raiders of the Lost Ark, so it could only be inferior. However, Fillion absolutely has to be Drake.

I'm wondering if "Crysis 3" and "Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance" are both going to get middling reviews.

Most sites have their reviews of upcoming games up by the Sunday/Monday before their Tuesday release date. Neither "Dead Space 3" or "Aliens: Colonial Marines" had their reviews up until day of release, and they both received lower-than-expected ratings.

Usually the embargo on reviews is not a good sign.

Review embargoes usually happen so that all review outlets and publications get a chance to get their hands on the game. This is so an outlet like Game Informer, or some other publication with more inside/industry connections, doesn't always "scoop" the others. Almost every major game has some kind of review embargo placed upon it by the publishers.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Sim City closed beta
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Review embargoes usually happen so that all review outlets and publications get a chance to get their hands on the game. This is so an outlet like Game Informer, or some other publication with more inside/industry connections, doesn't always "scoop" the others. Almost every major game has some kind of review embargo placed upon it by the publishers.

Understood. It just seems odd that three weeks in a row we haven't gotten reviews until D.O.R.

Like I said in my initial post about it, usually reviews for fairly big titles are out at least 2-3 days before release.

Which is why I'm worried that this week's two big releases reviewed poorly, and that's why they're being held off.

"Activision: Don't expect 'Destiny' in 2013"

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

And if it wasn't already known...(this Nov)

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    I don't really care about backwards compatibility. On the rare occasions that I've wanted to play PS2 games I have just dusted off the old PS2. I imagine it will be the same for the PS3.
    That was the case for me too, but this gen was different. I have too many games and would rather only hook up one system. But whatever, I'll live.

Review embargoes have more to do with scores these days, it seems. Like I know a lot of major publishers let reviews with 9/10 scores publish early, but 8/10 and below are embargoed until release date. Some publishers, like Microsoft, maintain release day embargoes regardless of score, because they don't want those numbers impacting potential sales. You gotta control the message. It's the reason prerelease demos have fallen out of favor. There are studies that show that prerelease demos, even good demos, negatively impact sales. Publishers want you to spend the money to get the game in your hand before anybody or anything else can interfere with your purchasing decisions.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

I think Crysis 3 is going to be phenomenal.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    I think Crysis 3 is going to be phenomenal.
    What makes you say that?