Page 731 of 1266 FirstFirst ... 2316316817217297307317327337417818311231 ... LastLast
Results 18,251 to 18,275 of 31646

Thread: Video Games...Discuss Them

Quote Quoting EyesWideOpen (view post)
    Nintendo has never not had good graphics. The Wii wasn't in HD but the graphics were fantastic on games like Super Mario Galaxy & Xenoblade.

We're talking from a technical standpoint here. Yeah, "Super Mario Galaxy" was a very pretty game, but that was 99.9% art direction. It doesn't stand up to the best of the best on the other two consoles.

Your comment was about how you don't play Nintendo games for "cutting edge graphics" and that's what I was responding to. Nintendo has been fine in the graphical hardware department until the Wii.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

One of the only studios I care about has committed two original games to the Wii-U.

If it sells well, developers will come. The internet narrative about how it's already a failure, as represented here by Duke, seems to just plain thirst to see Nintendo removed from the market and hoping it doesn't sell well to that glorious end. I don't get this.

Murasama was the best looking Wii game I've played. Monster Hunter Tri, Xenoblade, and Twilight Princess deserve some credit as well.

Sin & Punishment 2 also looks awesome.

Art direction is the first quality when it comes to how aesthetically appealing a game is. Wind Waker came out almost a decades and two Nintendo systems ago and it looks better than just about anything I've ever played.

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    Art direction is the first quality when it comes to how aesthetically appealing a game is. Wind Waker came out almost a decades and two Nintendo systems ago and it looks better than just about anything I've ever played.

I completely agree on all you said here! "Wind Waker" was gorgeous. One of my favorite Zelda games all around, actually.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)

I just would have thought that Nintendo would want to absolutely blow peoples' faces off with incredible graphics right out of the gate.
    It's fucking embarassing that they showed that Zelda video at E3 almost two years ago and have nothing similar at launch.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

I don't play Nintendo games for cutting edge graphics.
    Well, good for you, but I recall a time when Nintendo games were brilliantly playable and cutting edge from a visual pov. Super Mario 64 springs to mind so it's not like Nintendo can't pull such shit off. Why would you settle for great gameplay only in this day and age when you might be getting both? And it's not like ZombiU is a faultless offering gameplay-wise. No I haven't played it, but I've, like, read stuff.

That being said, I'm sure visually tremendous games will eventually rear their head and New Super Mario Bros ain't too shabby either.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

Arguing about whether or not a new system will be successful is kind of odd. It cannot be defined by specs, only by gameplay, and that takes months or years as stuff is gradually released. I believe this has been the case since the beginning of gaming. I think its like fighting over which system will be better...in 2125. Who knows? We have to wait and see.

But on to more timely gaming news, I finally own Arkham City GOTY! *high five*

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    The fact that there is two pages of discussion on the power of the WiiU saddens me. I don't play Nintendo games for cutting edge graphics. I also don't own Nintendo systems to play ports of games that are out on other systems. I'm also sad that people keep having discussions with Duke about gaming when he's shown to be one of those fanboys who can't accept any differing opinions.
    Ok so everyone should just stop having conversations with me?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

One of the only studios I care about has committed two original games to the Wii-U.

If it sells well, developers will come. The internet narrative about how it's already a failure, as represented here by Duke, seems to just plain thirst to see Nintendo removed from the market and hoping it doesn't sell well to that glorious end. I don't get this.
    Capcom?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Oh apparently there's a steam sale starting today.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Capcom?
    Platinum, yo.

Platinum, yo.
    How embarrassing. For some reason I thought Capcom developed Bayonetta.

Borderlands 2 is down to 48.97 on Amazon. Wondering if I should buy it now or should I wait until Friday to see if it goes any lower. Thoughts, anyone?
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Borderlands 2 is down to 48.97 on Amazon. Wondering if I should buy it now or should I wait until Friday to see if it goes any lower. Thoughts, anyone?
    I paid less than that at launch. Wait.

Traditionally Thanksgiving weekend has been an epic video game weekend for me. When I was young, my grandma would bring her extra little TV over to our house and I would set it up in my bedroom - I still remember playing Ys III and Zelda II especially.

This year I'm going to try to finish up Shadows of the Damned, and I'll continue to play XCOM and Persona 3. Really looking forward to it, and I hope the weather is especially crappy.

Traditionally Thanksgiving weekend has been an epic video game weekend for me. When I was young, my grandma would bring her extra little TV over to our house and I would set it up in my bedroom - I still remember playing Ys III and Zelda II especially.

This year I'm going to try to finish up Shadows of the Damned, and I'll continue to play XCOM and Persona 3. Really looking forward to it, and I hope the weather is especially crappy.
    Yeah. I'm having extra people over to the family's house this year, and i purchased two N64 controllers, and we'll be Mario Partying it up. Can't wait.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I've said before that I don't plan on playing GTAV and that's probably still true, but I do like to keep up with the series to see the advancements.

I read the lengthy feature on this month's Game Informer and the three-protagonists system is quite impressive-sounding. So you control three very different guys from three very different areas (Michael the rich ex-robber pro in Beverly Hills, Trevor the violent psycho junkie from Salton Sea trailer park, Franklin the young hustler from South Central) who occasionally work together on heists, and the way you play the game really depend on who you play as.

The demo that the article details is a job where they have to break out a contact being interrogated by feds in a government building. You start as Michael, rappelling down the side of the building Rainbow Six-style, smash in through the window, then grab the contact. At this point a prompt shows up to let you know that you can stay as Michael and have a close-quarter shoot-out with the feds, or switch to Franklin who's on the neighboring building with a sniper rifle and pick off feds. Whoever you choose, AI takes over the other. Then Trevor shows up piloting a helicopter, Michael and the contact hop in, and an aerial chopper chase is on. You can switch between piloting the chopper as Trevor, shooting an assault rifle at the pursuing choppers out the side as Michael, or snipe chopper pilots from the ground as Franklin. And you have complete freedom to jump around between the three.

During off-mission, there's even more freedom, as you can switch between the three whenever you want, and apparently your roaming activities will differ depending on who you play as. For example, there's a full golf course mini game in it at a country club that only Michael can get in. Or how only as Trevor you can go around causing wanton damage like pouring gasoline on a random car and setting it on fire, or flipping random pedestrians off. Rockstar said they did this to address the inconsistencies between the written personality and the player's desires (like how in GTAIV, Niko is reluctant about being a criminal in the cutscenes, but then you take over and run over grandmas for fun). By having 3 characters with wildly different personalities, they hope to minimize those inconsistencies without sacrificing the player's options. You just gotta switch to Trevor if you feel like blowing off steam.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Director
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Oh apparently there's a steam sale starting today.
    Yes. Yeeeessss.

I guess it's too much to hope Hitman: Absolution gets a 25% off sale.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I've said before that I don't plan on playing GTAV and that's probably still true, but I do like to keep up with the series to see the advancements.

I read the lengthy feature on this month's Game Informer and the three-protagonists system is quite impressive-sounding. So you control three very different guys from three very different areas (Michael the rich ex-robber pro in Beverly Hills, Trevor the violent psycho junkie from Salton Sea trailer park, Franklin the young hustler from South Central) who occasionally work together on heists, and the way you play the game really depend on who you play as.

The demo that the article details is a job where they have to break out a contact being interrogated by feds in a government building. You start as Michael, rappelling down the side of the building Rainbow Six-style, smash in through the window, then grab the contact. At this point a prompt shows up to let you know that you can stay as Michael and have a close-quarter shoot-out with the feds, or switch to Franklin who's on the neighboring building with a sniper rifle and pick off feds. Whoever you choose, AI takes over the other. Then Trevor shows up piloting a helicopter, Michael and the contact hop in, and an aerial chopper chase is on. You can switch between piloting the chopper as Trevor, shooting an assault rifle at the pursuing choppers out the side as Michael, or snipe chopper pilots from the ground as Franklin. And you have complete freedom to jump around between the three.

During off-mission, there's even more freedom, as you can switch between the three whenever you want, and apparently your roaming activities will differ depending on who you play as. For example, there's a full golf course mini game in it at a country club that only Michael can get in. Or how only as Trevor you can go around causing wanton damage like pouring gasoline on a random car and setting it on fire, or flipping random pedestrians off. Rockstar said they did this to address the inconsistencies between the written personality and the player's desires (like how in GTAIV, Niko is reluctant about being a criminal in the cutscenes, but then you take over and run over grandmas for fun). By having 3 characters with wildly different personalities, they hope to minimize those inconsistencies without sacrificing the player's options. You just gotta switch to Trevor if you feel like blowing off steam.
    Yeh. That sounds amazing. Pre-ordering now.

Quote Quoting shaun (view post)
    Yes. Yeeeessss.

I guess it's too much to hope Hitman: Absolution gets a 25% off sale.
    It's started. But nothing great so far.

Edit: WHOOPS! They just added the %off. Xcom for $33! Walking Dead for $12 and DS2 for $16

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Not sure if anyone else has talked about it, but I got to play the Wii U a few weeks ago, and it just feels like a properly upgraded Wii (with non-Gamecube-level graphics), almost similar to the way the 360 and PS3 got sleeker, faster versions to better adapt to the Kinect and Move, except instead of just being able to hook up this new tablet-like thing to your existing Wii games, it's a whole new, not forward-compatible system.

Nintendo Land is fun, as is the new Mario Bros., even if the latter is basically just a better-looking sequel to what we got with the Wii version, but everything else really struggles to make use of the new controller. With games like Just Dance (one of the other half-dozen games demoed), you're basically just using the separate screen to control things that happen in the background or programming upcoming dance moves while everyone else proceeds to play as they would with the game on any other systems (including the regular Wii, which it's also available for).

So I dunno, I like the idea of being able to throw the game onto the controller screen if another person wants to use the TV, and it feels like a device that could be used really well with smart developers in the future, but right now, it just feels like a big, expensive upgrade of something that's already been available for years. Maybe once regular Wii is phased out, the Wii U is cheaper and has a stronger catalogue, this will make sense, but right now, it's just a mildly interesting thing with potential that isn't quite realized yet.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Regarding GTA V, I read that there will be more heists in the style of the celebrated bank robbery level of GTA IV and that there will be planning involved to ensure the heists are pulled off as smoothly as possible. Well, that's definitely great news...if true. I mean, from what eight posted, seems it will be up to the player to decide which character to play with, but the player is still shepherded to an exact spot after which a cut scene will probably kick in and the shooting starts. Wouldn't it be great if you could really plan it all out? Scope out the building for weaknesses, possible entry points (air ducts naturally), a bunch of possible exit routes and basically make the whole thing depend on the inspiration of the player? But yeah, sounds like there'll be a little bit more to it this time.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

Metro: Last Light will not be released on the WiiU because of the excruciatingly slow CPU.

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1687689...light_dev.html

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]