Page 718 of 1266 FirstFirst ... 2186186687087167177187197207287688181218 ... LastLast
Results 17,926 to 17,950 of 31646

Thread: Video Games...Discuss Them

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    [youtube]4wIZp_E2CxQ[/youtube]
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Why do gamers bash Infinity Ward/Treyarch for continuing to use the same engine for "CoD" games, then praise Valve for continuing to use the Source engine?

The "CoD" games are far from ugly.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Why do gamers bash Infinity Ward/Treyarch for continuing to use the same engine for "CoD" games, then praise Valve for continuing to use the Source engine?

The "CoD" games are far from ugly.
    I've never heard either of these before.

The one thing I have heard about Source from various sources is that while it is getting old, Valve did a very good job of making it modular so that it can periodically and easily updated.

Neither have I.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

You haven't heard people complaining about the "Call of Duty" franchise continuing to use the same engine? Really?

It's been like, one of the most talked about aspects of "Black Ops II" since its announcement. Treyarch has had to come to its defense because players are complaining about it so much.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    I've never heard complaints about that either. The only thing I hear (as someone who doesn't pay any attention or care about the Call of Duty franchise) is the games are too iterative of each other in gameplay but not specifically the engine.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Perhaps it's just a part of that oh-so-typical gamer trait of "what I play is the best, what you play sucks". People who play "Battlefield" have to, by default, hate "CoD", and people who play "CoD" have to hate "Halo", and so on and so forth.

But obviously it's stirred up enough controversy that Treyarch felt they had to say something.

Perhaps it's just a part of that oh-so-typical gamer trait of "what I play is the best, what you play sucks". People who play "Battlefield" have to, by default, hate "CoD", and people who play "CoD" have to hate "Halo", and so on and so forth.

But obviously it's stirred up enough controversy that Treyarch felt they had to say something.
    You can drop "perhaps." It's exactly that. That being said, maybe CoD's engine is attracting vitriol because nowadays there's a new game each year and that seems to give people the idea that this shit is getting old when in fact, as you say, the action still looks pretty spectacular. Source engine games seem to be a lot less prevalent and, frankly, how could anyone hate Portal 2?
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

I can't think of place I'd rather avoid more than the COD forums on Gamefaqs. Oh wait yes I can....COD on XBox live without mute.

I still love the first Modern Warfare. The rest, not so much.

You haven't heard people complaining about the "Call of Duty" franchise continuing to use the same engine? Really?

It's been like, one of the most talked about aspects of "Black Ops II" since its announcement. Treyarch has had to come to its defense because players are complaining about it so much.
    I don't frequent any of those sites, especially GameFAQs, which is probably why I haven't heard this before.

This. And even the first Modern Warfare was wicked spammy.

Yeah it's still great. I also really liked "Modern Warfare 2", and "World at War".

"Black Ops" pissed me off, and I still haven't played "Modern Warfare 3".

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I may replace those next....I love the character Drake.
    It's hard for me to like a character so cavalier about murdering people. Room after room of cracking wise and shooting guys in the head for the sake of treasure. Dude's psychotic.

Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    It's hard for me to like a character so cavalier about murdering people. Room after room of cracking wise and shooting guys in the head for the sake of treasure. Dude's psychotic.
    That's the only thing I dislike about the game. It's easily ignoreable.

I don't see how this differs from... every video game ever made. Even stealth-like games usually end up with you killing everyone in the room before you can move on.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Yes, Wats. Every game is exactly like Uncharted.

Yes, Wats. Every game is exactly like Uncharted.
    Name me an action-adventure game where killing bad guys to advance to the next stage is not a requirement.

It's not like Drake is mowing down unarmed innocent civilians. I don't understand the criticism especially when it's a common element of the action genre (do people make the same criticisms when Indiana Jones does it?).
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

Also, what makes him so cavalier about it? Because he cracks jokes? I'm pretty sure he's killing people because they are shooting at him first.
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    (do people make the same criticisms when Indiana Jones does it?).
    Sure. Him nonchalantly shooting the dude with the sword in Raiders for example definitely makes him a psychopath.

Batman: Arkham City, just to name one.

Also, yes, people criticize Indy for doing it.

Also, the bad guys don't always shoot first, but that's beside the point anyway. I realize the point of games is to overcome a virtual antagonist, and in fantasy (Ratchet and Clank), military (Call of Duties, etc), or unapologetic settings (GTA, where of course you are a bad guy), this complaint rarely applies. But Drake is specifically constructed to attract as a hero, because he looks like Nathan Fillion and tells funny jokes. And it's disturbing when the story is not so much a life-and-death scenario as much as it is the product of Drake's vanity and childish wonder. BOOM! Brains of a guy just like you but less charming.

With Uncharted, it got to the point where I wasn't thinking "Great! Look at this cool big chamber with unexplored corners and sparkling treasures untold!" but rather "Great, another big chamber where I'm going to have to execute dozens of people".

John Mcclane cracks jokes.

In in all seriousness, It's a legitimate complain about the Drake character. Indiana Jones for example kills, but because it's Nazi's its OK?

Batman: Arkham City, just to name one.
    That's a bit different since the character is known for his non-killing methods. In the video game you are still moving room to room beating up bad guys. The difference is that these are just unconscious and not dead. I don't think there is a difference within the purpose of the game.

Also, the bad guys don't always shoot first, but that's beside the point anyway. I realize the point of games is to overcome a virtual antagonist, and in fantasy (Ratchet and Clank), military (Call of Duties, etc), or unapologetic settings (GTA, where of course you are a bad guy), this complaint rarely applies. But Drake is specifically constructed to attract as a hero, because he looks like Nathan Fillion and tells funny jokes. And it's disturbing when the story is not so much a life-and-death scenario as much as it is the product of Drake's vanity and childish wonder. BOOM! Brains of a guy just like you but less charming.
    Well, he's a treasure hunter, but do the games really make it out that he's doing this because he just wants to be rich? I don't see how him being awed and wondered by uncovered ancient cities is a bad thing. Terrorists want to use these artifacts for evil; Drake doesn't. Hence, Drake will kill people to get there first.

Also, I strongly disagree if you think the GTA games make the random killing okay since you're a "bad guy".
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Sure. Him nonchalantly shooting the dude with the sword in Raiders for example definitely makes him a psychopath.
    If he battled the guy with his sword, would it have been okay?
    Sure why not?

- Stay Puft