Page 4 of 1266 FirstFirst ... 2345614541045041004 ... LastLast

Thread: Video Games...Discuss Them

I've been playing a bit of Earth Defense Force 2017. So far I'm loving it. It's a very pick up and play game, which works very well in short bursts. There are more than 50 missions and most of them take around 10 minutes or less to finish. The game has a very B-Movie / Monster movie vibe too, which is awesome.

The only thing that's annoying are your squadmates. They run in front of you when you fire and constantly shout stuff like EE DEE EFF - EE DEE EFf. Luckily you can just shoot them and you won't get penalized for it.

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    I've started Episode 2 and I must that after an immensely promising beginning, it has, luckily only temporarily, degenerated into a tedious, subterranean bug blaster. What are those green ant things that spew goo at me? Can't wait to get to the damn surface and see daylight.
    [
    ]

CoD4 contains some of the most intense gaming moments I've experience. The last 3 parts of Act I are stunning, and the twist! Wow. This is a great game.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    super mario galaxy is absolutely fantastic.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

14. Metroid (1986) - Nintendo R&D1 - NES

I still remember the day I beat Metroid. It was a Saturday morning, and on this morning my family was leaving for a week-long trip to camp in Santa Barbara. I woke up early to play, knowing that I would be without Metroid for a week, and while my parents got all of our stuff and gear packed, I sat on my knees, on the floor, with my NES Advantage on a box I used as an elevated play area.

I knew the end was near, but I had no idea what to expect. I had been exploring this strange and fascinating world for months, this game had captured my imagination like no other had up until this point. It was like being in a living, breathing, interactive science fiction novel, and I was enraptured. Anyhow, I entered Mother Brain's layer, made my way through the brain and life force-sucking Metroids, destroyed all the glass canisters containing God knows what, jumped over all of the slowly moving energy balls, and there she was - in all of her grotesque beauty. The creature I had been sent to destroy, the ultimate evil, the Mother Brain.

Thanks to the “power” of the NES Advantage, it with its rapid-pausing “slow motion” and rapid-fire capabilities, I new I stood a chance. Now, if only my parents would stop telling me it's time to go.

“Just a minute mom, I'm almost done.”

“No. Now.”

“Oh come on mom, I'm at the last boss, just a few more minutes, I promise.”

“Son, we're leaving. Go get in the car.”

“But dad, I'm fighting Mother Brain. If I don't kill her I'll have to start over from my last save.”

“I don't care, get in the car.”

But I kept playing. My parents were pretty cool about video games, God knows my dad struggled through a hardcore Pac Man addiction, and so, begrudgingly, they let me beat the game. My parents are awesome, and because of their awesomeness I have this awesome memory of beating Metroid, rather than the crappy memory of them making me stop so I could get in the car and drive for three hours.

I'm saving up for my next video game purchase which will be...

And two of these...

"All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Know one of the things that made Wind Waker a great game? No fucking swimming engine.

[
    ]

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    14. Metroid (1986) - Nintendo R&D1 - NES

I love the 2-D Metroids. So awesome. Gametrailers.com did a retrospective on the Metroid series a while ago. I thought it was cool to see all the Metroid games again.

Quote Quoting Saya (view post)
    [
    ]
    Yeah, that was a pretty cool bit. I've now reached White Forest and the base is under attack. I decided to stop at that point because now I'm at work quivering with anticipation for how that attack is going to play out. Also, Dog just tore up a Strider!!
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Yeah, so apparently Ghostbusters 3 is a videogame.
    This according to a Game Informer exclusive.

http://gameinformer.com/News/Story/2...1221.16217.htm

Quote Quoting GI
    Harold Ramis, Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd are getting back together and revisiting their roles to make a sequel to Ghostbusters 1 and 2 – in video-game form, and we’ve got the first details. Both Aykroyd and Ramis are teaming up for scriptwriting duties and are going far beyond just the typical licensed add-your-voice-to-the-game-you-had-nothing-to-do-with formula. And no, this has nothing to do with the Ghostbusters Zootfly video demonstration that floated around the internet in January.

I am experiencing conflicting emotions, to say the least.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

Quote Quoting Stay Puft (view post)
    Yeah, so apparently Ghostbusters 3 is a videogame.
    This according to a Game Informer exclusive.

http://gameinformer.com/News/Story/2...1221.16217.htm

I am experiencing conflicting emotions, to say the least.
    This has been a rumor for some time now. Awhile ago, there was some footage up on Youtube and everyone was saying it was for an upcoming Ghostbuster's game. However, it was made by a company who had not yet acquired the rights to do so, and the footage was taken down.

Super Mario Galaxy is unlike anything I've ever played before. It's so awesome.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Big Surprise:

God of War II is awesome.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    Super Mario Galaxy is unlike anything I've ever played before. It's so awesome.
    It's basically what Mario 64 wishes it could have been. Which is, pure Mario gameplay distilled perfectly in 3D. it's nonstop magic!
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

I dunno...I thought Mario 64 was pretty awesome.

When I get a Wii next year I will undoubtedly get Super Mario Galaxy.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Guitar Hero III is everything I hoped it would be. It's not as difficult for a beginner to pick up as I thought it would be, which is nice. I had it on easy tonight, and after 45 minutes or so I was getting 5 stars on some of the songs. My wife hates it. She tried playing it a couple times and got so frustrated she started dropping a deluge of F-bombs. It was hilarious.

I watched my friend play "Crysis" today, and yeh, it's ridiculous.

I know it's hard to believe, but there are several moments in the game where they actually achieved photorealism. It's incredible to see a giant alien tank get blown to bits and be able to think "that actually looked real".

Seriously, look at this, it's insane...

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I watched my friend play "Crysis" today, and yeh, it's ridiculous.

I know it's hard to believe, but there are several moments in the game where they actually achieved photorealism. It's incredible to see a giant alien tank get blown to bits and be able to think "that actually looked real".

Seriously, look at this, it's insane...

Yeah - it is a great engine. They built in a bunch of feature proof modules, so when the time comes, they can flip them on with a patch, thus continuing to make the game look and play better as the hardware catches up to their true vision. Very cool stuff.

I just CoD4. Man, what a dang good dame it is. I immediately started over on a higher difficulty. I can't remember the last game I beat and started again in the same sitting.

I preordered Mass Effect and Guitar Hero III today and picked up Super Mario Galaxy and Endless Ocean.

I've played Super Mario Galaxy for a couple hours and got like 11 stars. As for the game, it is incredible. And the music is awesome.

[
    ]

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Guitar Hero III is everything I hoped it would be. It's not as difficult for a beginner to pick up as I thought it would be, which is nice. I had it on easy tonight, and after 45 minutes or so I was getting 5 stars on some of the songs. My wife hates it. She tried playing it a couple times and got so frustrated she started dropping a deluge of F-bombs. It was hilarious.
    Just wait until Dragonforce. Oh, just you wait...
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

So, CoD4 has actually done something that most other games have not: it's made me think about its subject. There are a couple of really powerful moments in the game, moments that echo their real life counter parts, and moments that pack an emotional punch. I woke up this morning thinking about them in the same way I might think about a great film I watched the night before. CoD4 is an example of the kind of games I love to play, but so rarely given the opportunity: immersive experiences that offer up something of merit, a game with some real maturity, and a game that actually makes me think about stuff outside of the game play mechanics, graphics, and features.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    Just wait until Dragonforce. Oh, just you wait...
    Oh I've seen how hard it can be from that video that was posted in the YouTube thread. That's why I made a point of saying I was pleased that it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be for a beginner who has never played it before. I can't imagine ever getting 5 stars on expert, no matter which song it may be. I don't have that kind of time to devote to a video game. Still, it's a ton of fun, and I'm definitely not disappointed.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Still, I'm glad you're not disappointed. It is a very fun game.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

To clarify, meg, Mario 64 was awesome, it's just that Galaxy is that much more awesomer.

Damn! Why doesn't Episode 3 come out tomorrow? Or next week? Why?!! Why?!!!

At least I'll have Call of Duty 4 and Mario Galaxy to stem the pain.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]