Page 3 of 1266 FirstFirst 1234513531035031003 ... LastLast

Thread: Video Games...Discuss Them

I love JSRF, although I have not had the time to finish it, I might have to pop it in and finally beat it since I was pretty close. I am fond of the BS 2000 song but that is just because I am a Beastie Boys kind of guy. I like it a lot more than the DC outing just because of the changes to the graffiti, it makes the gameplay run so much smoother instead of having to stop and do the motions.

Quote Quoting Justin (view post)
    I like it a lot more than the DC outing just because of the changes to the graffiti, it makes the gameplay run so much smoother instead of having to stop and do the motions.
    I agree. A lot of people complained about the tagging changes, but I thought they greatly streamlined the game play. It is a case of making the game better by simplifying the controls and mechanics.

Well, I am already completely and hopelessly stuck in "Portal".

I honestly have no freaking clue how to get out of this section.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Wow, nevermind my last post, I managed to get through "Portal" without any aid of any kind.

That was such a brilliant game, and absolutely HILARIOUS. I couldn't believe how much I found myself laughing at the horribly morbid sense of humor.

That song at the end is just priceless.

"And when you're dying
    I will still be alive
    And when you're dead
    I will still be alive.
    Believe me
    I am still alive"

Isn't Aperture Science mentioned in Portal as being behind the experiment? I believe Aperture Science will figure heavily in Episode III, one of Black Mesa's competitors. Which is cool.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

16. R-Type Delta (1989) - IREM - Playstation

R-TYPE DELTA may be one of the most meticulously crafted and finely tuned shmups ever made. Almost every part of every level requires skill based gameplay coupled with infallible memorization. The game is packed to the gills with strategy, and each of three ships requires the player to tackle each situation differently. The levels almost feel "puzzle-like" as they snake along and slowly scroll to reveal chasms, pipes, underwater passages, space debris, falling machine-parts, tiny tunnels and organic, fleshy environments.

The level design in the game is second to none, and each of the stages offers a new kind of challenge, in a different kind of environment:

Level 1 - Starts in a city with small waves of enemy ships attacking you, followed by a small mech. Typical R-Type to be sure. Soon though, the level lets lose with some giant screen filling battle ships, and a huge boss with a GIANT, plasma-beam weapon. The difficulty here starts easy, and gets hard pretty fast.

Level 2 - This level takes place mostly under water...mostly. And, it also features my favorite music track to be found in a shmup. What's more, the music changes in clarity depending on whether you are out of or in the water - very cool. Here, the game really starts to shine, as the difficulty ramps up quite a bit, and the safe passage ways become smaller and smaller. The enemies here are all fish-like, much like those found in the DARIUS games. The boss is also no push over, and is a kind of gross mechanical slug-like thing. This is one of my favorite levels of all time, in any game.

Level 3 - The "all boss, all the time" level. This level features a GIGANTIC walking mech, that must be flown around, under and over for the entire level. Very strategic, and very difficult. Also a total blast, as it builds tension from start to finish.

Levels 4-7 - Here the game blasts off into space, and into the enemy's territory, as the player takes the battle to the Bydo's dimension. The enemies in level 4 are mostly mechanical in nature, but from level 5 on, they start to get more and more organic and alien like. There are ghastly baby-like things surrounded by crystal shields, giant mutant slug-fish-things, and all kinds of craziness. And yes, the game gets really freaking hard.

R-TYPE games are known for their difficulty, and DELTA is no exception. Without a doubt, the R-TYPE games need to be beaten in one life, or else things get nearly impossible. In later levels, it is almost impossible to power up your ship fast enough if you die, and therefore, nearly impossible to make it through alive. The best way to beat an R-TYPE game is to play the same level over, and over, and over until you can clear it in one ship, and then go on to the next level and repeat the process.

Ships/Attacks

The POW Armor power up allows you to change your Force Orb - the little option thingy. These Forces can be attached to the front or back of your ship and can be fired off to become a controllable or heat seeking device. Each ship's Force powers up differently, and forces the player to change the way they play a level. My favorite is the R-X, and the Tentacle Force, with its yellow power up and the homing ability.

R-TYPE DELTA was the last great R-TYPE game, as R-TYPE FINAL was a total let down. They should have ended the series with DELTA - they would have left way ahead of the game, as DELTA represents the genre in top-notch fashion.

I started playing the Mythos beta tonight. It's pretty cool. It's the new game made by Flagship, the guys that left Blizzard after Diablo 2. It's basically Diablo 2.5, in 3D, with a little bit of Guild Wars and a Wow inspired look thrown in. My current PC doesn't even meet the min. specs, so I am running everything on low, low, low. It still looks okay, and the animation is really good.

I am hoping this will hold me over until I get my new PC and Hellgate: London. I know it hasn't gotten the best reviews, but I just have to play it.

You know, D, you just need to keep on trying until you run out of cake.

For the people who are still alive.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    You know, D, you just need to keep on trying until you run out of cake.

For the people who are still alive.
    Best damn video game song ever.

I know my disparaging remarks towards Nintendo and their franchises are tired and bothersome, but I will be pretty pissed if Mario Galaxy ends up beating Portal for over all game of the year from the major publications. I know it doesn't really matter, but dammit, Portal is just too good, too innovative, and too much dang fun.

I couldn't get into The Darkness. Right now I'm playing God of War II since I never got around to it.... :embarrased:

Might pick up GHIII later.

15. Guwange - (1999) - Cave/Altus - Arcade

GUWANGE combines a few of my favorite things into something that totally and completely rocks:

1. Asian mythology
    2. Ninjas
    3. Monsters
    4. Gore
    5. Manic bullet dodging/shooting action

If there is a gaming heaven, I expect it to look and play like this game. The first time I laid eyes upon this spectacular example of perfect game design, I almost didn't believe it was real - it seemed too perfectly tuned for my tastes. Guwange is a totally manic shooter - that is one where there are literally hundreds of bullets on screen at once displayed in awe-inspiring and hypnotic patterns. The gameplay is simple to learn, but does take some finesse to master.

There are three modes of attack.

1. The standard tap-the-button to fire
    2. Hold down the fire button to release a spirit warrior who can absorb certain bullet types and do some massive damage. This attack causes your character to slow down, and is good to use when you need precision movement.
    3. The screen-clearing super bomb that is more like a super charged explosive blast

Of course there are power-ups scattered about in the shape of buckets full of what looks like blood. These power ups make your standard shot HUGE, and also make your character more powerful.

The art style in the game is gorgeous. The colors pop, and the backgrounds are insanely detailed. The character and monster sprites are amazing, and the game designers went all out. Some of the enemies look like steam punk characters, or like they were taken out of the anime series Sakura Wars. There are large wooden tanks and cannons that pack some serious fire power. The rest of the monsters are based on Japanese Oni, or demons, and include spiders, centipedes, heads in jars, and all kinds of gross little creatures.

If there's anything I can get down with, it's top shooters. Easily my favorite kind of game. This one looks marvelous.

Quote Quoting iosos (view post)
    If there's anything I can get down with, it's top shooters. Easily my favorite kind of game. This one looks marvelous.
    My favorite genre as well. I love them. This one is one of the best. You can get it on MAME.

I downloaded the Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2/The Lost Levels the other day and, despite the fact that it's kicking my sorry ass, it's awesome. I can't wait to unlock worlds A through D (about ten years from now).

Does Nintendo ever intend to release any Game Boy games through Virtual Console? I'm just those games away from being able to play every Zelda game on my Wii. I never played the two Game Boy Color ones, but Link's Awakening is probably my favorite of the series.

So Assassins Creed is, very surprisingly to me, getting great reviews:

Game Informer: 9.5
    GamePro: 5/5
    Games Radar: 10/10

Granted, these are not the most authoritative sites, but still, after that last bug-filled E3 demo, I thought this game would be total garbage.

I have heard rumors that 1up.com didn't like it at all though...so I guess we;ll just have to see the rest of the numbers. These early scores have piqued my interest though.

Anyone hear of this game called Spanish for Everyone? By all appearances, it's racist, loaded with inappropriate sexual innuendo, bizarre, and not very good at teaching anyone anything.

Opening video.

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    So Assassins Creed is, very surprisingly to me, getting great reviews:

Game Informer: 9.5
    GamePro: 5/5
    Games Radar: 10/10

Granted, these are not the most authoritative sites, but still, after that last bug-filled E3 demo, I thought this game would be total garbage.

I have heard rumors that 1up.com didn't like it at all though...so I guess we;ll just have to see the rest of the numbers. These early scores have piqued my interest though.
    Yep, I was suprised to see the game getting these high marks too. The newer videos of the game really do look a lot better than that E3 crap. I'm not sold on the game yet though. I'll wait on some more reviews as well.

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    I couldn't get into The Darkness.
    Well, that's a shame. I woulda thought that game woulda been right up your alley.

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Well, that's a shame. I woulda thought that game woulda been right up your alley.
    Yeah, me too. Guess I'm really selective with my shooters. Red Faction I, II, and Resistance: Fall of Man really made me snobby.

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    Anyone hear of this game called Spanish for Everyone? By all appearances, it's racist, loaded with inappropriate sexual innuendo, bizarre, and not very good at teaching anyone anything.

Opening video.
    You have to know that's a joke, right? Watch the other scenes:

scene 3

And the ending really gives it away. I love the "fireworks" after all of the cars pull up. :lol::lol:

So CoD4 is pretty bad ass. The presentation is out of this world.

I've started Episode 2 and I must that after an immensely promising beginning, it has, luckily only temporarily, degenerated into a tedious, subterranean bug blaster. What are those green ant things that spew goo at me? Can't wait to get to the damn surface and see daylight.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    I've started Episode 2 and I must that after an immensely promising beginning, it has, luckily only temporarily, degenerated into a tedious, subterranean bug blaster. What are those green ant things that spew goo at me? Can't wait to get to the damn surface and see daylight.
    I hate those goo bugs. Getting back to the surface was a welcomed relief.

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    I hate those goo bugs. Getting back to the surface was a welcomed relief.
    And boy am I back now. I've just gotten the car and jumped the balancing bridge. These episodes, and certainly Ep. 2, are surely the future of expansion packs. And yes, it all looks very nice. Looking in the general direction of were the citadel was is always a stunning sight.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]