Page 261 of 1266 FirstFirst ... 1612112512592602612622632713113617611261 ... LastLast
Results 6,501 to 6,525 of 31646

Thread: Video Games...Discuss Them

Have been playing two new games. Some impressions..

The first one is the new Wolfenstein. I'm a couple hours in and am enjoying it a lot even though it is a little bit generic. It's not a typical linear FPS, because you have this hub city in which you can take different missions and you can decide for yourself in which order you want to do the missions. I've only unlocked 4 weapons so far (I think there are about 8 or 9 in total) and the gunplay is great. All over the world you can find collectibles and these unlock upgrades for your weapons and magic. There is also something called the Veil mode in which you can use magical powers. Also I think it's pretty nice that you are able to replay any mission at anytime, so if you miss a collectible you can always get it back later. I'm not a big fan of the checkpoints, I think they should autosave a little bit more often so if you die you don't have to do a big part of a level over again.

I also started playing Batman: Arkham Asylum and this is awesome so far. The presentation of the game is amazing. Voice acting, visuals and atmosphere are really good. Also the free flow combat system is so fluid and taking down whole groups of bad guys feels great. It's so awesome when you silently take down enemies in a room until there are only a few left. Their reactions are awesome when they get more and more scared. I don't think I'm that far in yet. I've only beaten Zsasz so far and just encountered the armed enemies. Overall, I'm very impressed with this game. You actually feel like you are playing Batman. He even has a detective mode in which you can look for special or hidden areas and items or solve crime scenes. There is also a challenge mode in the game, but haven't tried that yet.

I'm gonna get Batman: AA for sure sometimes this year. Still into Shadow Complex. Finally, I know how to destroy the blue boxes and it is glorious!
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    I'm gonna get Batman: AA for sure sometimes this year. Still into Shadow Complex. Finally, I know how to destroy the blue boxes and it is glorious!

Yeah, all the effects in this game are so, so cool.

And they really nailed the ability to create a 3D environment on a 2D plane. Being able to shoot enemies who are on all axes is perfectly controlled. It never feels like a hassle trying to aim at stuff that's off my particular plane.

It's really a great game. I hope it is successful and we'll be brought more "Shadow Complex" games in the future.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Interesting Gamasutra article on games and politics, written by Christian Nutt, one of the best in the biz.

http://gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=24627

Should Gays support Shadow Complex even though it is partially created by a recognized homophobe?

Should Japanese gamers support Dragon Quest even though its main music composer staunchly denies the Rape of Nanking?

When Shadow Complex was announced, I personally was torn. I'd already long since made the conscious decision to not support Orson Scott Card directly with my money. I also would like nothing more than to play a new game developed in the vein of some of my personal favorites -- Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Super Metroid, the game's two biggest influences. I didn't have to hem and haw very much, however, as Chair Entertainment sent me a download code for the game.

Not everyone is so lucky, however.

GayGamer offers up an interesting suggestion toward compromise in its thoughtful analysis of the issue: buy the game, and donate to a gay-positive charity to offset any profits that might funnel to Card. While Card established the universe, along with Chair, that the game resides in, he didn't work directly on the title. Dialogue was handled by Peter David, a comic book writer who GayGamer describes as "straight but extremely gay-friendly.
    "

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I bought Metroid Prime Trilogy today and played a little bit before work. The control scheme feels good, and it was nice and nostalgic landing on Tallon IV again.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Picked up my Batman: Arkham Asylum Collector's Edition today after work and damn what a big box! It's roughly the size of those Guitar Hero bundles with the guitar and game. Can't wait to play it this weekend.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

What else is in the box?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    What else is in the box?
    The box is a gigantic bat symbol probably around 18 inches long by 8 inches wide. Inside their is a big plastic Batarang (made to look all battle worn) on a stand. Their is a leather Arkham Asylum diary, two Batman: Arkham Asylum stickers, and a code for the collector's edition exclusive map. I got mine from gamestop so their was also a gamestop exclusive Scarecrow map code in the box.

I don't normally buy collector's editions but I have a room in my house dedicated to Batman so I kind of had to get it.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Yeah, it's a fucking amazing game.

Game of the year material, for sure.

Batman: AA continues the awesome. I'm going through it on a snails pace, I don't want it to end. I just got the inverted takedown upgrade, with which you can takedown enemies while hanging upside down from gargoyles.

I love that Twisted Pixel managed to incorporate a Christian Bale joke into "'Splosion Man".

"Cursed Mountain" on the Wii looks really good.

I'm having a Captain Coke while waiting for Resistance 2 updates to install, so I can start playing.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    I'm having a Captain Coke while waiting for Resistance 2 updates to install, so I can start playing.

What's a Captain Coke?

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    What's a Captain Coke?

+

'

In this case, I've substituted Dr Pepper for Coke. Add some milk, and it would be called a Rhotweiller.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Oh OK.

I've never heard of adding milk to a rum and coke. What's the ratio there?

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Oh OK.

I've never heard of adding milk to a rum and coke. What's the ratio there?
    About a couple creamers worth in a pint glass. Not much.

Rum is nasty enough, but that concoction you listed, Scar, sounds downright vomit-inducing.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    Rum is nasty enough, but that concoction you listed, Scar, sounds downright vomit-inducing.
    My lil bro discovered the combo at the Reef bar in Duluth. They're pretty tasty.

Tomorrow I'll be buying a handle of Captain, and a bottle of Glenlivit. Operation Vacation is a go.

The Chopin history bits in Eternal Sonata feel like something I could make myself given a couple of hours, Photoshop, Wikipedia and and Powerpoint. Like the game otherwise though, it's good that with these new generation JRPGs you can get rid of rubbish English dubs.

Beat "Shadow Complex". Really just a superb game all around. That final fight is incredible.

"Batman Arkham Asylum" is, well, freaking incredible. I love it. Finally a great Batman game. A mix of superb gameplay and a great story and writing. Just awesome stuff.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I was so bummed out about Arkham Asylum, cause all I have is an underpowered Wii...

But my roommate Ned just bought a PS3.

ritch:

It's, like, fate or something.

Oh man, "Arkham Asylum" is just so freaking awesome. They really nailed the idea of a fairly open-world Batman game. That is, the story and missions are linear, but you can go about completing them in just about any way you want. Particularly in situations where you have 10 enemies in a room...there are many different ways you could take them out.

The game challenges you to think like Batman, which is so cool.

I just had a situation where 5 enemies with shotguns were cornering a civillian. They were inside a small enclosed area, which basically meant that I could take them all on one-by-one and just swoop in and out of the situation, but I risked major health damage there.

So I loaded the walls surrounding them with Batman's spray-explosive, and detonated it all at the same time. It went into slow motion as it showed the walls behind the assailants blowing up, and them being knocked unconscious.

God, that was so freakin' cool.

I was sort of underwhelmed with the demo but these positive reactions are giving me more hope.