Page 11 of 1266 FirstFirst ... 91011121321611115111011 ... LastLast

Thread: Video Games...Discuss Them

Three in a row!

What do y'all think the best RPG's available for the PS2/PS3 are?
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Three in a row!

What do y'all think the best RPG's available for the PS2/PS3 are?

I know "Final Fantasy X" is supposed to be incredible - it's from 2001, but a lot of people still say it's the best FF game after number 7.

Also "The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion" for PS3 is again supposed to be incredible. It's an absolutely huge game - like 200+ hours.

"Suikoden 3" for PS2 also got really good reviews, if you like anime RPGs.

I also remember those "Dark Cloud" games getting stellar reviews.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I know "Final Fantasy X" is supposed to be incredible - it's from 2001, but a lot of people still say it's the best FF game after number 7.
    It was pretty damn good. Tried playing it again, but couldn't get back into it.

Also "The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion" for PS3 is again supposed to be incredible. It's an absolutely huge game - like 200+ hours.
    This game rocks, hard. My character is maxed out right now, I should go back and close a bunch of Hell gates.

"Suikoden 3" for PS2 also got really good reviews, if you like anime RPGs.
    I heard about that. Might be something worth checking out. I also have an itch to try Okami, but it might be slightly difficult to find, outside of e-bay.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

If you like strategy RPGs, like Final Fantasy Tactics, then the PS2 is your heaven. Check out almost anything published by Atlus and developed by Nipponichi. Especially Disgaea 1 and 2. These games are epic, huge, monstrous, and a ton of fun. You can spend hundreds of hours in each - they are among the biggest, most in depth games ever made. Turn based strategy RPGs just don't get any better.

Also, for action RPGs, check out the fist Champions of Norath. It is a ton of fun, and can be played 4-player co-op.

Best Boy
    the best rpg hands down on the PS2 is Dragon Quest VIII. incredibly addictive and takes no prior knowledge of the series. and you should be able to find it at most places now for less than $20.

Quote Quoting Mr. Valentine (view post)
    the best rpg hands down on the PS2 is Dragon Quest VIII. incredibly addictive and takes no prior knowledge of the series. and you should be able to find it at most places now for less than $20.
    I tried that one awhile back. Just couldn't get into it. Maybe the graphics were too 'kiddy' or something. Maybe I should try it again.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    I heartily recommend the Shin Megami Tensei games, Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga. I have a feeling they're exactly what you're looking for Scar.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Also the Marvel RPGS beat-'em-ups are great if you like that sort of thing.

"Marvel: Ultimate Alliance" rocks.

I'm curious if the bac0nater has had time to fire up God of War II yet.....
    Oh yes. The Godzilla Unleashed Affair of November 2007 is now but a distant unfortunate memory fading into the distance.

This game kicks all kinds of ass. I've made it into the Bog of Whatsitcalled and just beat that barbarian guy with the gigantic hammer.

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Oh yes. The Godzilla Unleashed Affair of November 2007 is now but a distant unfortunate memory fading into the distance.

This game kicks all kinds of ass. I've made it into the Bog of Whatsitcalled and just beat that barbarian guy with the gigantic hammer.
    I've found that of the weapons you get access to, the best is still the blades of athena, so save your red orbs!

I've found that of the weapons you get access to, the best is still the blades of athena, so save your red orbs!
    Yeah, that's what it was like in the previous game. The Hammer is kinda cool, but it's pretty slow and unwieldy. I'm not gonna bother even upgrading the thing until I have the blades of athena maxed out.

Also the Marvel RPGS beat-'em-ups are great if you like that sort of thing.

"Marvel: Ultimate Alliance" rocks.
    The only problem, at least with the X-Men one, is that it doesn't really feel like a RPG to me. In the end, you end up getting the same result.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Anyone else think it's bullshit that people have to pay for the new multiplayer maps on "Halo 3"?

Not only that, but they're freaking $8.99 EACH.

That's disgusting.

Anyone else think it's bullshit that people have to pay for the new multiplayer maps on "Halo 3"?

Not only that, but they're freaking $8.99 EACH.

That's disgusting.

Not really. They've already given people so much in the original game, and in a few months these new maps will be free. They pay people to design them, test them, and polish them, so they cost money.

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    Not really. They've already given people so much in the original game, and in a few months these new maps will be free. They pay people to design them, test them, and polish them, so they cost money.

How do you know that in a few months they will be free?

Sorry, but I've already paid full price for the game.

Having to pay another $36 for a couple of maps is pretty scummy, especially since I'm already paying for X-Box LiVE.

I know they've got stuff like that for Resistance: Fall of Man, and that crazy off road game I've got. I'd be tempted to get them for R:FoM, but I don't multiplay. But I certainly understand that they are expansion packs, and expansion packs aren't stuff just found on the cutting room floor.

How do you know that in a few months they will be free?

Sorry, but I've already paid full price for the game.

Having to pay another $36 for a couple of maps is pretty scummy, especially since I'm already paying for X-Box LiVE.
    Because they said so. In 3-6 months these maps will be free, probably closer to 3 months, but don't quote me. They did the same thing with Halo 2.

Also, yes you've already paid for the game, and you got your money's worth. A killer single player campaign, and the most robust console multi-player experience ever made. Tons of maps, modes, the Forge, an intuitive friends and party system, and everything run smooth.

These new maps were not part of the game that were left out in order to make you pay more, later. These are new maps, expansions, add ons. These were designed in addition to everything else you already paid for, thus if you want them, they will cost money. It's not like the game was missing stuff and now they are making you pay for the complete experience, ala Motor Storm on the PS3.

Bungie doesn't owe you anything, except for he best gaming experience they can. They've already given you that with Halo 3. For your money, the delivered an awesome game that people will be playing for years down the road. And now, they've gone back and made more maps to extend the game even further, and these maps they've made took people - who are paid - time to make them, thus they cost money.

I understand what you're saying, D, and you've cleared it up for me - I kind of was under the impression that these were a bunch of maps they just held back on to charge extra later. I didn't know they were newly made. But I must call you on the "tons of maps" thing.

This is just false. Pretty much every review I've read/seen for the game agrees with me, too - there are like 6 maps. Hardly impressive for a game nowadays.

I thought the game was released with 11 maps? Plus the ability to customize each of these in the Forge, and the ability to customize all of the various aspects of the game type. Makes for a ton of possibilities.

That's plenty.

I've played quite a bit of this game, and I am still not bored with what they have given me for my money. And now, if I want more, I can get it.

There's the small forest map for 1-on-1 or 2-on-2.

Then there's The Pit, High Ground, Snowbound, Valhalla, Isolation and Construct.

Those are the only maps I have seen, and I'm getting really, REALLY sick of them.

There are 11:

Construct
    Epitaph
    Guardian
    High Ground
    Isolation
    Last Resort
    Narrows
    Sandtrap
    Snowbound
    The Pit
    Valhalla

Compared to CoD4 which comes with 16 maps, but it lacks co-op through the single player campaign and The Forge.

There are 11:
    Epitaph
    Isolation
    Last Resort
    Narrows
    Sandtrap

I have never seen any of these.

I have never seen any of these.

Strange, very, very strange. We get these all the time.

Strange, very, very strange. We get these all the time.

It's probably one of those "not available in Canada!" things.

It's probably one of those "not available in Canada!" things.
    It's because of the matchmaking playlists. Sandtrap and Last Resort generally only appear in Big Team Battle. Narrows is generally only seen in Team Deathmatch. The small ones you listed are what normally appear in regular deathmatch, but Epitaph is included in that -the reason you probably haven't seen it (or don't remember) is because people seem to hate it so it doesn't show up much.

And on that note I agree you. The maps are too few. There are 11 in all, but only half of them show up in deathmatch (or singles), a couple others are there for team deathmatch, and BTB only gets use of 3. They're specialized, and thus limited. There are plenty of options in forge, true, and custom games are a lot of fun as a result, but you can't actually do matchmaking in custom games - and that is essentially what my problem boils down to. I'd like to join random rocket race matches, but no dice. If I want to do matchmaking - and I love Lone Wolves - then I'm stuck with the same 5-6 maps.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *