Page 1083 of 1266 FirstFirst ... 835839831033107310811082108310841085109311331183 ... LastLast
Results 27,051 to 27,075 of 31646

Thread: Video Games...Discuss Them

Horizon: Zero Dawn didn't hold my interest very long.

Beautiful for sure, but feel like I've played this 100 times before. Which wouldn't be a problem if I was interested in the story and world...which I'm not.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

I thought the robots taking over the world story in HZD was great. Some of the other stuff, in regards to Meridian and such, not so much. I enjoyed the hunting and combat a lot, but I can completely understand how it would feel overfamiliar to someone who's played a lot of open-world games.

In other news, I just got the platinum trophy on the Witness, which has consumed much of my waking life since I started playing it. I'm still a bit away from 100-percenting it, though. I imagine I'll continue to come back to it and wander around looking for environmental puzzles. Though I'm missing some panels as well.

FF12 is pretty great. I got really into it for a few days then got distracted by Darkest Dungeon again. I'm sure I'll get the JRPG itch again soon, and I'm glad it'll be there. The gambit system has a pretty steep learning curve.

So far, The Surge is a huge step up from Lords of the Fallen. It controls way better, and the mechanic of targeting limbs for specific loot works well. Progression also feels really good--instead of leveling up your stats it's all about finding and crafting different components of your exo-suit rig. I'm only one boss in, but it's probably the best soulslike I've played (not by From of course).

I'm also playing The Long Dark. Talk about challenging. It's a completely unforgiving wilderness survival game where you always have to weigh how hungry, thirsty, cold, and tired you are against the perils of searching for supplies (wolves, bears, blizzards... but mostly wolves). It's a really unique game that to the casual observer would look like a walking simulator but to the player feels like you're in near-constant crisis. One bad decision can mean permadeath. One missed rifle shot feels catastrophic. But finding a ragged wool scarf in a burned down cabin will make you cheer.

Also, I got the platinum for Resogun and am proud of myself. Only my third, along with The Last of Us and Shadow of Mordor. I'm close in Bloodborne (it's just so damn hard) and Defense Grid 2.

I started playing Prototype 2. I forgot how gory and cool the first game was. This is hardcore. Bit of a weird control scheme, but its instantly fun.
    Last edited by Skitch; 08-20-2017 at 11:37 PM.

Currently playing Uncharted 4 (first time). It's good but far from being series best. Currently in the jeep section in Madagascar. Horribly laid out.

Traded in a few games at EB yesterday - The Surge, Horizon: Zero Dawn, and CoD BLOPS 3. Got a $77 credit and there were no games I was particularly interested in, so I got some cool Star Wars stuff.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Currently playing Uncharted 4 (first time). It's good but far from being series best. Currently in the jeep section in Madagascar. Horribly laid out.

Traded in a few games at EB yesterday - The Surge, Horizon: Zero Dawn, and CoD BLOPS 3. Got a $77 credit and there were no games I was particularly interested in, so I got some cool Star Wars stuff.
    I think it's the best in terms of realism, characterization, storytelling, but yeah I prefer most of the others in terms of sheer gameplay.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

I'm finding the story telling pretty weak compared to the others too.

I know it's a part that's had enough criticism already, but long lost brother? Really? Why have we never heard of this guy before?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

I know it's a part that's had enough criticism already, but long lost brother? Really? Why have we never heard of this guy before?

So odd that, THAT's your big criticism of the game, yet you are in utter love with the Halo franchise, the most generically laid out story of the 21st century.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Halo is more fun to play. I do enjoy the story and universe but after one playthrough of each game I pretty much skip all that stuff.

Uncharted puts story first and foremost. And up to this one the writing has been pretty stellar.

I'm still enjoying the game and it's better than most. But I expected more from Naughty Dog given their track record.

Oh and Halo being "the most genetically laid out story of the 21st century" is pretty much the very definition of hyperbole.

They were both troublemakers, it does not seem outside of the realm of possibility that they became alienated from each other although I do not remember the exact specifics of the fourth game.
    That being said, I thought it was a nice touch, I thought it worked, it created a new dynamic rather than female sidekick #43.
    It took three Indiana Jones movies to discover the man with the hat has a dad, but you won't hear me complain. Their chemistry was instantaneous and moving.

A Thief's End is more realistic and believable in terms of characters and story. Whereas previous games had what felt like an unlimited supply of villains for Nate to kill, the fourth game has longer stretches of desolation, just you vs. the environment. Everything feels more measured and possible rather than videogame-y. Cut scenes too feel startlingly real and just plain incredible to watch, the opening stretches literally feel like Nate and partner just, you know, eeking out an existence, working. Getting by. Like you and me. The ending too takes more time than usual and you're essentially just watching and I did. And not getting bored compared to say Metal Gear cut scenes.

Perhaps the quest itself isn't as memorable, I could agree with that. And as I already said, for sheer gameplay I prefer parts 2 and 3. Part 1 vs 4 not so sure.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

We see Nate and Sam in prison together as adults shortly before Nate's adventures in the first three games. And with the events that occur in the prison, it seemed very strange that Nate (or even Sully) wouldn't have been mentioning his brother in the events of the first three.

A nitpick to be sure, but again, for a series that focuses so strongly on its characters and storytelling, it sticks out more than it would have in other games / series.

We see Nate and Sam in prison together as adults shortly before Nate's adventures in the first three games. And with the events that occur in the prison, it seemed very strange that Nate (or even Sully) wouldn't have been mentioning his brother in the events of the first three.

A nitpick to be sure, but again, for a series that focuses so strongly on its characters and storytelling, it sticks out more than it would have in other games / series.
    I still don't understand. On one of the four previous adventures you just expect Nate to drop some exposition about his brother?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Honestly yes.

No I wouldn't have wanted / expected paragraphs of expository dialogue about his relationship with his brother.

But Uncharted 4's beginning establishes Sam as being a huge part of Nate's life and how he got to where he is. Combine his brother's mentor-like relationship as kids with the way they parted ways in prison, and yeah, definitely should have been SOME mention of his existence in earlier games.

Hell, Uncharted 3(?) began with a sequence in Nate's childhood around the same time/age as the beginning of 4, and again, no mention.

It's established that Sully and Sam had a tumultuous relationship. No mention of that either.

The games are littered with dialogue. Nate rarely stops talking for a long period of time, and it's a lot of anecdotal stuff. Strange he never mentioned his brother.

Cool ad, but I can't help but wonder what the purpose of it is. What's the point of making a commercial generating interest in a product that's already essentially sold out, and that most people who would be interested in it won't ever actually be able to get their hands on one anyways? Like, this just feels like Nintendo mocking their own fanbase at this point. :\

I'm super late to the party on this, but the Witness is magical.

Duke I ask you this every once in a while since you're much more in the know than I am with VG news...

Heard anything about anything at all going on with the Dead Space series?

No. Two huge EA properties that appear to be dead in the water, Dead Space and Mass Effect.... like, seriously... it's so hard to fuck up a franchise and EA has managed to do it twice.

Visceral Games is rumored to be working on the canceled Star Wars 1313 game- revamping the gameplay and story from what was already developed before it was canceled. But that's all I know. I'm guessing they are trying to line up the release with one of the upcoming movies.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    No. Two huge EA properties that appear to be dead in the water, Dead Space and Mass Effect.... like, seriously... it's so hard to fuck up a franchise and EA has managed to do it twice.

Visceral Games is rumored to be working on the canceled Star Wars 1313 game- revamping the gameplay and story from what was already developed before it was canceled. But that's all I know. I'm guessing they are trying to line up the release with one of the upcoming movies.
    I mean, i suppose if a company released a product that sold $136 million worth of product, and their follow up only sold $36 million, that would be cause for concern. Which is why they made the studio focus on a sure thing- like Battlefield games. It's basically equivalent to what Disney does with their live action remakes, while a separate studio they focuses on new IPs.

It's been almost 5 years since Dead Space 3's release... I want another DS game now.

Thanks for the info, my man.

Total bummer though. Freaking loved that series.

Hell at this point I would settle for one of those HD remake packages of the trilogy.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Treated myself to Donkey Kong Country Returns yesterday. Playing through, and it's fairly fun - think it plays too much on nostalgia with an barely-updated SNES soundtrack and even same-named levels, but the level design is satisfying, plenty of hidden trinkets to infuriate you. Really wish you could alternate between the two heroes like in the originals, but instead Diddy is more like a weapon expansion. Highlight so far has been two stages that make use of an enormous octopus and his tentacles.

I'm heartbroken because DKC: Tropical Freeze is supposed to be a step up in terms of platforming, and it brought back original SNES composer David Wise to create new tracks. But I don't wanna buy a WiiU for one damn game.

"Mining Melancholy" from Donkey Kong Country 2:

"Seashore War" from Tropical Freeze:

Last edited by Dead & Messed Up; 08-23-2017 at 04:39 PM.

Hell at this point I would settle for one of those HD remake packages of the trilogy.
    I would buy that too actually.

I recently started a re-play of Tomb Raider Anniversary, the remake of the original TR. The last time I played it was on the PS2. This time I'm playing the HD reversion on the PS3.

TR1 is my all-time favorite game, and damn does it ever hold up.

In the first full area (4 levels), you only fight and kill a single human enemy. The entire focus is on platforming, puzzle solving, mystery and atmosphere. The game is so quiet, and slow. The level design is incredible, creating a real sense of exploration and a real sense of place.

I absolutely hated the last Tomb Raider reboot game, especially after having read how it was supposed to be "return" to the more tomb-orientated exploration of the original series. What a huge lie that was. There was more killing and action in that than in the original reboot game.

I'm so happy that the original still holds up. Not only does it hold up, but it is still a shining example of exploration-focused game play.

Same here. Dissecting aliens never got old. Still, eventually it will return. All good things do. That means we'll eventually get a new Half-Life!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I'm super late to the party on this, but the Witness is magical.
    Closest any game has come to capturing the television show Lost. I've been doing other things the past weeks, but I'm hoping to crack a few more puzzles soon.

It's a real goosebumper of a game, I doubt I'll get to 100%

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

https://github.com/Jackathan/MarcLai...3_Corrected.md

Half-Life Episode 3 story bits as penned down by HL writer Marc Laidlaw.

It's the next best thing to actually playing it.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]