Page 1080 of 1266 FirstFirst ... 805809801030107010781079108010811082109011301180 ... LastLast
Results 26,976 to 27,000 of 31646

Thread: Video Games...Discuss Them

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I don't think I've ever played a single one of those games.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    Knowing what I know now, and that you adored part I, I must respectfully inform you that it's a mistake not playing part 3.

I was just afraid it would be like part 2. I'll get on it. Still need to finish up Skyward Sword.

From what I recall, Prime 3 was more similar to Prime Hunters for the DS in terms of its overall layout, which was also a pretty fun, if more simplified, version of the Prime games.

Gosh that Mario Odyssey trailer doesn't look the least bit appealing to me. :|

That open world Spidey game looks like a huge amount of fun. If we get to do things like try and stop Rhino as he rampages down a crowded street, or have a sky scraper to sky scraper battle with Doc Ock, I am so in.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    What are everyones thoughts on the Metroid Prime series? I adored part one, immediately jumped to part two and quit after a couple hours (felt it was redux of one with parallel levels to make it an annoying maze). Part three has been on shelf for years.
    I love the first one and mostly enjoyed the two sequels. My favorite bits of Prime were its holistic key/gate system (the classic Samus thing where barriers are environmental and you "unlock" them with new physical abilities or weapon systems), the faux-organic level design, and how the new scan system made me feel like a space archaeologist. The only complaint I could level against it is that it's almost an exact schematic duplicate of Super Metroid, but who cares?

Echoes had some great design and the same excellent control scheme, but the key/lock system became more basic, and the portal-hopping resulted in some needlessly obtuse level design (e.g. a lot of one-way-only rooms). In that way, I completely agree with you. And the Dark World itself got awfully boring in a hurry, with its uniform purple/black color scheme and ambient noise (instead of score).

[Once you get the Light Suit, it graduates from "fun" to "excellent."]

Corruption, again, great design, excellent control, fair utilization of Wiimote mechanics, but overcompensated for Echoes' sometimes-maddening world design with a way-too-directed sense of action and loss of exploration. It takes about an hour of Federation directives before you actually head off on your own. Once you do, it levels up and satisfies. Big fan of how a "satellite" room lets you launch probes into space and learn the locations of pickups you've missed.

I'd grade them as A+, B+, and B+. They're all worth playing, though, and the Metroid Prime Trilogy disc is one of the best things ever, if you have a Wii.
    Last edited by Dead & Messed Up; 06-14-2017 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I don't think I've ever played a single one of those games.
    I'd definitely recommend the original Prime if you have a Cube or a Wii.

Duke I can't imagine you wouldn't like the first Prime. I adored it. Especially everything DaMU said. It had a feel of Zelda in a way, when you obtain that new tool, you can then get in the next area.

With your description of part three, I'm definitely going to play that next.

Yeah, I think it was the gamecube one that kept me with that system for a little bit longer.

I think it was Resident Evil 4 that was the final game for that system for me.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Yeah, I think it was the gamecube one that kept me with that system for a little bit longer.

I think it was Resident Evil 4 that was the final game for that system for me.
    Heh. RE4 was the only reason I bought a game cube. Then capcom fucked me and announced it for PS2 like a month later.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Eternal Darkness. Another title so good it validated owning the system on its own.

There were quite a few killer games. I enjoyed the hell out of Metroid Prime, Echoes, Rogue Leader, Smash Melee, Eternal Darkness, RE4 (although Duke points out Capcom dropped the exclusivity in the final months), Viewtiful Joe, F-Zero GX, and the Resident Evil remake. Also enjoyed non-exclusives like Spider-Man 2 and Tony Hawk 3, with its absurd combos.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Eternal Darkness. Another title so good it validated owning the system on its own.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Skitch again.

God I loved the Gamecube.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)

Corruption, again, great design, excellent control, fair utilization of Wiimote mechanics, but overcompensated for Echoes' sometimes-maddening world design with a way-too-directed sense of action and loss of exploration. It takes about an hour of Federation directives before you actually head off on your own. Once you do, it levels up and satisfies. Big fan of how a "satellite" room lets you launch probes into space and learn the locations of pickups you've missed.

I'd grade them as A+, B+, and B+. They're all worth playing, though, and the Metroid Prime Trilogy disc is one of the best things ever, if you have a Wii.
    Skytown was a great world and introduced a rail-type travelling system long before Bioshock Infinite would repeat it.

The MP games trigger the imagination. It wouldn't be exagerated to say that, while at work, I was daydreaming about whether a possible solution that was coalescing in my mind would be the right one.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Skytown was a great world and introduced a rail-type travelling system long before Bioshock Infinite would repeat it.

The MP games trigger the imagination. It wouldn't be exagerated to say that, while at work, I was daydreaming about whether a possible solution that was coalescing in my mind would be the right one.
    For sure. The sequels each had one jaw-dropping new alien location. Corruption had Skytown, and Echoes had that microchippy Sanctuary Fortress.

Reggie on MP4's early announcement:

https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/15/15...switch-e3-2017

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

In yet more news, Shadow of the Colossus PS4 won't be a remaster, but a full-blown remake with for instance a more modernized control scheme.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

Still playing The Division. This is the most exhilarating game I have played in a looong time that involves shooting weapons.
    I feel that way about Overwatch.

Picked up Horizon: Zero Dawn this week. Still super early on, but it seems promising.

After 130 hours clocked in, I finally beat Persona 5. That... was a long game.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Hyuna in Just Dance 2018 is the real megaton of E3.

I mostly agree with DaMu on the Prime trilogy. I'd probably drop Echoes to a B- tho because the dark world stuff really bummed me out. Everything else was solid. Corruption is definitely worth playing and my second favorite of the trilogy and Metroid fans should not be sleeping on that. I really liked the boss fights against the Hunters, too. Something a little different for the series but it works. Very cool atmosphere.

Very curious to see what Nintendo does now with a Prime 4.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)

Good?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    Impressive.

So, I'm enjoying Horizon Zero Dawn quite a bit, but it's not sucking me in like my favorite games.

Which got me thinking, I seem to find open-world games a bit less engrossing than games with a more linear storyline (e.g. Uncharted). I even liked Rise of the Tomb Raider less than Tomb Raider because it was more open-worldy.

Having to run around and level-grind or gather supplies or even getting distracted by side quests seems to take away from a game's impact for me. It doesn't help that no matter how much thought is put into a game, the side-quests eventually begin to feel like chores.

Given the larger trend toward open-world games, I'm probably relatively alone in this. But I just want to be told a good story with inventive gameplay (I think Uncharted and The Last of Us are really the pinnacle of this). I don't need a simulacrum of how the character would actually survive in the world.

The way things are going, the next Metroid: Prime will probably be open-world.

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    So, I'm enjoying Horizon Zero Dawn quite a bit, but it's not sucking me in like my favorite games.

Which got me thinking, I seem to find open-world games a bit less engrossing than games with a more linear storyline (e.g. Uncharted). I even liked Rise of the Tomb Raider less than Tomb Raider because it was more open-worldy.

Having to run around and level-grind or gather supplies or even getting distracted by side quests seems to take away from a game's impact for me. It doesn't help that no matter how much thought is put into a game, the side-quests eventually begin to feel like chores.

Given the larger trend toward open-world games, I'm probably relatively alone in this. But I just want to be told a good story with inventive gameplay (I think Uncharted and The Last of Us are really the pinnacle of this). I don't need a simulacrum of how the character would actually survive in the world.

The way things are going, the next Metroid: Prime will probably be open-world.
    I'm with you on this, for sure. Well put. Tomb Raider was way superior to Rise of the Tomb Raider and that's probably the main reason.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford