Page 1088 of 1266 FirstFirst ... 885889881038107810861087108810891090109811381188 ... LastLast
Results 27,176 to 27,200 of 31646

Thread: Video Games...Discuss Them

What we need are more companies like From Software. Companies who make games that are great to play, but may not have the best technical aspects, so they can keep their budgets relatively low. The major developers have completely lost sight of what makes a great game great.

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    This, coupled with EA's push away from single player, towards all games being services, and Shadow of War's loot boxes and upselling in game menus is quickly killing any love for the hobby I had left.
    Because you are historically such a huge fan of EA, Activision, and WB.

(Sorry, I'm still defensive of my hobby.)

As an art form, video games are in their infancy. Every so often people proclaim the "death of video games" because things are trending in the wrong direction. Remember how PS3/360 was supposed to be the last console cycle because the app store was gonna take over the world? Money talks, and while publishers are currently frothing at the mouth for GTA Online and Destiny money, the overriding feel I've gotten from industry folks and hardcore gamers like ourselves is that this business model will ultimately receive a backlash that helps balance the ecosystem out again.

Also, 2017 is IMO the best year for gaming in quite a while. That's gotta mean something.

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    As an art form, video games are in their infancy. Every so often people proclaim the "death of video games" because things are trending in the wrong direction. Remember how PS3/360 was supposed to be the last console cycle because the app store was gonna take over the world? Money talks, and while publishers are currently frothing at the mouth for GTA Online and Destiny money, the overriding feel I've gotten from industry folks and hardcore gamers like ourselves is that this business model will ultimately receive a backlash that helps balance the ecosystem out again.

Also, 2017 is IMO the best year for gaming in quite a while. That's gotta mean something.
    One time, long ago, a young lad nicknamed Skitch said he's tired of always being last to the cutting edge, so when the cutting edge took a 50% price drop he got a loan from his dad and dropped just over $400 dollars to be ON the cutting edge. It was a pretty cool couple of months.

I still own my Panasonic 3DO, and will likely never be on the cutting edge again.

I would love to support more indie games if they weren't so damn difficult. I want more games like Journey and Firewatch rather than Cuphead.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Remember how PS3/360 was supposed to be the last console cycle because the app store was gonna take over the world?
    No.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Hey, if it makes any of you guys feel any better, I'm really enjoying the first few hours of Shadow of Mordor. I've spent hardly any time advancing the plot; I'm having too much fun sneaking up behind and killing Uruk Hai, as well as chasing down and killing their captains.

Why, I had a pretty fun fight going with Glῧb The Arse-Faced before he summoned his flunkies on me, turned tail, and ran. I wound up chasing him half way back to The Shire before I caught up with him and finished the job.

I guess, if there is a point to be had with this little screed, it's that even if the newer games start coming out with this proposed EA/Activision nickle-and-dime-you-to-death model, the upside is:

1) I'll be saving myself some money on account of me not buying any of these new games.
    2) This will be a great opportunity for playing some of the games I've been meaning to get to this gen but never was able to. And i have a big enough backlog to keep me going for years. And all of the games in that backlog will be 25 bucks or less.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Because you are historically such a huge fan of EA, Activision, and WB.

(Sorry, I'm still defensive of my hobby.)
    Hey now!

I liked a lot of EA's games, or at least I liked a lot of the games made by companies they acquired and killed off. Activision not as much, except for Blizzard stuff. WB? Maybe? The first Batman Akrham game?

I get it. Companies need and want to make money, and as much as possible. That's fine. I just don't like where the big companies are focusing their attention. I'm glad we're seeing the rize of the mid-sized game again. These mid-sized games were always the undiscovered gems during the PS1 and PS2 eras, so if we see more of these, that's great.

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    I would love to support more indie games if they weren't so damn difficult. I want more games like Journey and Firewatch rather than Cuphead.
    There are far more games like the ones you like than there are games like Cuphead.

Wats, seriously, check out Hob. It is incredible. One of the best games I've played in years.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    No.
    I should clarify that it was near the end of the PS3/360 cycle that this was a fear. It seems like a long time ago, but there was a lot of trepidation leading up to the launch of the PS4 and XBONE. Here's a Variety article that reminds me of a lot of what I was hearing back then. People were scared that casual gamers had overtaken the market and "soon-to-be-console-quality" iPads, etc. were the future.

Oh man. That article is hilarous. "Why buy a $400-$500 box that is going to be obsolete within a couple of years when we have desktops, laptops, tablets and smartphones all over the place?"

Because desktops, laptops, tablets and smartphones are somehow obsolete proof.

Trying running iOS 11 on a 2010 iPhone. I dare you.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I should clarify that it was near the end of the PS3/360 cycle that this was a fear.
    I remember people talking about/like that. I scoffed. I've seen real death of video games (see post Atari, pre NES years), so I'm not scared any more. Video games have taken a complete foothold in society thanks to Mario, and it hasn't barely dipped since imo. Go completely to phones? Nah. There will always be audience for each section.

One of my favorite quotes of all time about Halo (can't for the life of me remember who, could've been a MCer), "People that think Halo is revolutionary haven't played an FPS on PC in a decade."

I'm not a PC gamer. I'm a console guy. And the numbers of sales show its not going anywhere imo.

Wats, seriously, check out Hob. It is incredible. One of the best games I've played in years.
    I'll check it out.

Any other recent-ish indie to recommend that aren't overly difficult?
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    I'll check it out.

Any other recent-ish indie to recommend that aren't overly difficult?
    Fortnite is free and fun.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Finished Uncharted The Lost Legacy. Solid fun, spectacular vistas, but I can't say ND was struck by a flash of inspiration. Which is putting it real mildly.

Starting Watch Dogs 2 now. Didn't quite get into part 1, but this one is supposed to be better.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

I know its but said before, but it really irritates the shit out of me that in a time when we have the biggest tvs we've ever had, split screen gaming is almost completely non-existent anymore. All those hours squinting at teeny tiny Goldeneye 1/4th screens...

Oh man, this is great.

(Sorry, can never get videos to embed properly).
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

I'm pretty sure somewhere there's a story to this Shadow of Mordor game, but right now I'm having way too much fun climbing up top of buildings and hunting Orcs like I'm Batman in Arkham City, albeit with a sword, and gleefully unencumbered by that whole no-kill clause.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Hey everyone. The Kinect is dead and likely will come down to the reason that ruined the Xbox One's chances. It's up there with the Virtual Boy and Wii-U now for interesting attempts gone wrong.

Between Zelda and Mario, I've never seen so many perfect scores. Nintendo dominated 2017 and there hasn't even been a holiday yet. A healthy Nintendo is good for gaming. Can't wait to play Mario tomorrow.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Hey everyone. The Kinect is dead and likely will come down to the reason that ruined the Xbox One's chances. It's up there with the Virtual Boy and Wii-U now for interesting attempts gone wrong.
    GOOD

Between Zelda and Mario, I've never seen so many perfect scores. Nintendo dominated 2017 and there hasn't even been a holiday yet. A healthy Nintendo is good for gaming. Can't wait to play Mario tomorrow.
    Nintendo is really going to town with their key characters. Bodes well for Metroid Prime 4.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

The new Wolfenstein is also getting raves. Many are praising its...humanity and emotional resonance.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]