Page 1169 of 1266 FirstFirst ... 1696691069111911591167116811691170117111791219 ... LastLast
Results 29,201 to 29,225 of 31646

Thread: Video Games...Discuss Them

Have started Breath of the Wild, and WOW. This game is something else.

Still haven't set a Switch up in docked mode, only playing portable.

I have to say, I really hope Nintendo makes good on their hinting at a trophy / achievement system of their own in the future. I love that stuff - achievement hunting, marking my progress with them, the satisfaction of "completing" a game.

I know we've only had it for the last 2 generations of systems, but I can't imagine not having it now.
    Last edited by megladon8; 01-28-2020 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I've never heard of anyone working 120 hours a week. Can't even fathom how it'd work.
    I'm doing this right now, though maybe more around 110 hrs a week (and I don't work in the gaming industry). This is how it works for me anyway:

- I work a 14 hour day, typically 7a-9p or 8a-10p
    - Go home and eat an extremely late dinner, maybe try to clear my brain by watching a youtube video or calling my mom, who only proceeds to ask me to rehash my day
    - Spend another 1-2 hours doing more work on my computer at home while watching TV (this is what really gets you near the 120 mark)
    - Fall asleep on the couch while working
    - Wake up and spend about 30 minutes browsing news or MC while drinking my morning coffee
    - Rinse and repeat everyday, including weekends

I've had to do this before and I'll have to do it again; it's the nature of my job. When it happens, it's usually a 2-3 week burst, though this particular time is more unpredictable than the others. That said, I do believe that if at any point I needed a break from this, I could let my leadership know and they would find a way to rotate someone else in. It helps that I don't work in the private industry. These game developers don't have that option; or at least are too afraid to seek it out.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    What line of work are you in? You don't work in a private industry suggests you work a government or state job?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I have some doctor friends that work crazy hours, but it works out, because then they'll spend 2-3 weeks on some other continent.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

That's incredible, amberlita. Kudos to you being able to do that.

Anything more than 60-70 and I start to shut down.

Has your health not taken a toll at all? Especially this time of year?

Will be buying this at my earliest convenience:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1145360/Hades

Same company that did Bastion, Transistor and Pyre. A rogue-like/lite with clean, snappy combat and sweet visual design, with the usual rpg elements and progression thru runs. In early access unfortunately, but given the company's track record, I don't mind putting my trust in them. Watched someone play it for several hours the other day, and it looks terrif. Given that I'm also a soft touch for mythology, this is an easy one.
    Last edited by Wryan; 01-31-2020 at 11:22 PM.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)

Even pushing 60 makes me crazy, double since I added kids to the mix.

My dad worked like a dog my whole life. Wasn't around for much because he was working. His theory was if he works super hard now he wont have to work later. So then I'm 17 and hes like, "Lets hang out". That doesn't really work with any 17 year old I've ever heard of. I'm not trying to dog my dad, he was a thousand times his father, but I'm just trying to do better. Yeah I'm probably not gonna have much of a retirement, but I'm gonna be around for my kids growing up, the little things. Besides, my luck, if I worked a 100 hours a week until I reached retirement age, I'd get hit by a car the next week. Tomorrow is never promised.
    Last edited by Skitch; 02-01-2020 at 01:48 AM.

Yussssss. Their games are something else.

Been a fan of Greg Kasavin since his days as a gamespot reviewer.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)

Thanks. It definitely has taken a health toll. And a personal one -- I've torpedoed a few relationships because of my lifestyle. The bad thing is that the effect it takes is long term, so it's hard to see it happening. You look back and realize the gradual decline that has occurred.

I don't find too much issue with the short term effects. I'm an ID doctor. They don't put it on the curriculum, but part of the training for any physician is functioning through the immediate effects of fatigue and codifying a certain work ethic. In truth, I bet anyone could do it because the training requires you to. Sure, if you jumped into those hours right now you'd collapse but that's because you aren't used to it! I am. I left clinical practice to work at the CDC about 5 years ago, and part of the reason I have thus far decided not to go back to clinical practice is because the 80-100 hr work weeks were not in brief bursts - it was all the time.

I don't love working this much. But I love what I do - both infectious diseases and public health. I think it's important and meaningful, and it's personally rewarding to me to work hard at something I believe is impactful. Like today - I just got home about an hour ago. It was a 16-hour day. I'm tired. I'm don't know if I did everything right, I don't know how others feel that I handled situations. But I feel content knowing that, at the very least, when the stakes are high I refuse to be out-worked.

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread...how about all these 2020 game delays, huh?!! WTF?!!

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    I don't love working this much. But I love what I do - both infectious diseases and public health.
    This is the most important part of it all. Thanks for sharing.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Oh wow amberlita. That's amazing. That's another profession that demands insane hours. Should we move to Random Thoughts or another thread, I'd love to hear your take on this Corona virus.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Oh wow amberlita. That's amazing. That's another profession that demands insane hours. Should we move to Random Thoughts or another thread, I'd love to hear your take on this Corona virus.
    Let’s take that to PM instead.

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    Thanks. It definitely has taken a health toll. And a personal one -- I've torpedoed a few relationships because of my lifestyle. The bad thing is that the effect it takes is long term, so it's hard to see it happening. You look back and realize the gradual decline that has occurred.

I don't find too much issue with the short term effects. I'm an ID doctor. They don't put it on the curriculum, but part of the training for any physician is functioning through the immediate effects of fatigue and codifying a certain work ethic. In truth, I bet anyone could do it because the training requires you to. Sure, if you jumped into those hours right now you'd collapse but that's because you aren't used to it! I am. I left clinical practice to work at the CDC about 5 years ago, and part of the reason I have thus far decided not to go back to clinical practice is because the 80-100 hr work weeks were not in brief bursts - it was all the time.

I don't love working this much. But I love what I do - both infectious diseases and public health. I think it's important and meaningful, and it's personally rewarding to me to work hard at something I believe is impactful. Like today - I just got home about an hour ago. It was a 16-hour day. I'm tired. I'm don't know if I did everything right, I don't know how others feel that I handled situations. But I feel content knowing that, at the very least, when the stakes are high I refuse to be out-worked.

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread...how about all these 2020 game delays, huh?!! WTF?!!
    That's very admirable.

I'm happy people like you are in these positions, helping all of us.

I love what you wrote in your second last paragraph. While I'm just a mere retail worker, I too love that sense of pride of getting home after a wild, long day and knowing I worked hard and didn't give up. While its nothing compared to what you're doing, retail can be damn stressful, yo!

As a fan of rogue likes and that particular studio, I’m interested in Hades. Isometric games are rarely favorites, tho... not sure why I have a hard time with that perspective.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Now I need a switch.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/1/31/21...ay-xbox-switch

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I have Apple, so I couldn't play this, but I watched someone play it on youtube... and I really want to play the full game when it comes out

If you have windows and 20 mins of time...

SENTIENT

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Cannot get over how much I'm enjoying Breath of the Wild.

Don't show scar.

Haven't touched Fallout 76. Half tempted to fire up Fallout 3 again after beating New Vegas again.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Haven't touched Fallout 76. Half tempted to fire up Fallout 3 again after beating New Vegas again.
    This is supposed to be the update that makes Fallout 76 good.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    This is supposed to be the update that makes Fallout 76 good.
    Intriguing....
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

I still have zero interest in Fallout 76, especially after fuck-up after fuck-up after fuck-up with this epic disaster of a game. Couple that with the fact that I really don't have any interest in MMOs. I tried getting into Elder Scrolls Online, for example, but couldn't; it just kills the immersion of a game when you see a bunch of elves scattering about with names like 3xtr3m3K1LLALOL.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    I still have zero interest in Fallout 76, especially after fuck-up after fuck-up after fuck-up with this epic disaster of a game. Couple that with the fact that I really don't have any interest in MMOs. I tried getting into Elder Scrolls Online, for example, but couldn't; it just kills the immersion of a game when you see a bunch of elves scattering about with names like 3xtr3m3K1LLALOL.
    Besides, you won’t finish RDR2 until 2025.

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Well this is the update that adds in NPCs. I'm at least way more interested now than at launch. Especially if you can play through the game co-op (which they should have added in Fallout 4).

It doesn't matter for me right now anyway. I have one night a week I can dedicate for gaming and I always end up playing some random shooter that I can drop in 15 minutes rather than try and get immersed in any RPG.

My gaming days are close to dead.

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Besides, you won’t finish RDR2 until 2025.
    Ha! You're not wrong.

And welcome to parenthood, Duke. Positive side is, you can get a single game to stretch out for mooooooonths. I'm STILL on Act 4 in RDR2.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)