Page 1164 of 1266 FirstFirst ... 16466410641114115411621163116411651166117412141264 ... LastLast
Results 29,076 to 29,100 of 31646

Thread: Video Games...Discuss Them

Another maverick list from Slant. I haven't even heard of several of the games in the top 10.

- - - - -
    I'd heard of everything but only because I routinely search Kotaku, Polygon, MetaCritic, and OpenCritic for their rolling best-of lists, mostly in desperate need of the new and different. This is only the second site I've seen recommend Hypnospace Outlaw and Manifold Garden, though.

Also extremely surprised that Control is suddenly getting good press? When that came out a lotta people shrugged at it. Then IGN named it GOTY. Now this. So wtf?
    Last edited by Irish; 12-11-2019 at 09:54 PM.

I thought so too, Irish (re: Control).

The IGN GOTY had never scratching my head. I mean, their review was certainly very positive, but nowhere near the hyperbole I’d expect from IGN for something they end up giving the award to.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    I heard almost nothing but good things about Control from the people I trust (ie, not IGN). Aside from the technical aspects of its being too graphically intensive for the base PS4—I'm personally going to wait until the PS5 to play it for that reason, but I very much look forward to it.

That list seems pretty good though, cheers to slant's vg staff. Disco Elysium looks fantastic and I will be playing that as soon as it becomes available to me. Baba Is You is a work of genius.
    Last edited by Milky Joe; 12-11-2019 at 10:58 PM.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

All about that Disco Elysium game when it comes out for PS4

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -
    Reminder: Game Awards stream tonight!

https://www.twitch.tv/thegameawards

Coverage begins at 5:30 PM PT / 8:30 PM ET

lol
    Last edited by Irish; 12-12-2019 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Reminder: Game Awards stream tonight!

https://www.twitch.tv/thegameawards

Coverage begins at 5:30 PM PT / 8:30 PM ET

lol
    LET ME KNOW HOW IT GOES!

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -
    Anyway, holy shit this was a terrible event. All awards shows are promotional but JFC. This one made it seem handing out the actual awards was the filler and the announcements, trailers, and straight up commercials were the main event.

What a huge waste of time. Why did I watch this. I am never doing this again, lol.
    Game Awards 2019 starting now!!!!

ETA:

- Holy shit they have a 30 minute "pre-show" lol

- And their first promo is for Marvel Alliance DLC on Switch, a game that received mediocre reviews and reportedly didn't run well on the platform.

- Second promo is for Man Eater, where you play a shark and the goal is to ... eat people.

- Death Stranding wins Best Score

- The hostess is wearing what might be the ugliest outfit I've seen on television. The top half is like a prom dress crossed with bridesmaid nightmare. The bottom half is ... basic black slacks? I can't tell but JFC who told her to wear that.

- Why am I watching this

- Third promo is Humankind, which looks like a fairly typical indie world building 4X strategy type of thing.

- Next: NO MORE HEROES III. Holy shit. Extremely strange promo. Almost nonsensical but that's expected given the franchise. Release in 2020. Switch exclusive. [Trailer]

- Another Final Fantasy VII remake trailer. Looks amazing but not significantly different from what was shown at E3.

- Super Smash Bros Ultimate wins Best Fighting Game.

- Ninja is sitting right behind Reggie in the audience lol

- Jonathan Nolan (wtf???) presents Best Narrative to ... Disco Elysium *fuck yeah*

- Phil Spencer announces XBox Series X (I guess this is Project Scarlett??). Holiday 2020. It's shaped like a mini-tower PC lol.

- In-engine shots from Hellblade II: Senua's Sacrifice running on XBox Series X: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJWI4bkD9ZM

- Call of Duty: Whatever wins Best Audio.

- Fire Emblem Three Houses wins Best Strategy.

- New Warframe expansion called "Empyrean" out on PC now. Looks good but I'd guess anybody already playing Warframe already knows about this and is already downloading it.

- Ikiri Nokamori is back!! I can't understand a word she is saying but she's awfully cute.

- Control wins Best Art Direction.

- JJ Abrams is doing a "Rise of Skywalker" promo inside Fortnite this Saturday. What the fuck.

- OTOH I do love how these people are absolutely shameless in running back to back commercials for multi-million dollar properties while handing out an "award" every 20 minutes or so.

- Freaky trailer for Sons of the Forest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAybpvqkuEs

- Also gotta love extremely lip synced musical performances. gg.

- Devil May Cry 5 wins Best Action Game, presented by our boy Norman Reedus.

- Reveal for co-op Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance. Looks sorta terrible? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mfjdNf0SDY

- Gris wins Games for Impact. I have no idea what that category label means.

- Luigi's Mansion 3 wins Best Family.

- Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled Best Sports/Racing.

- Call of Duty: Mobile wins Best Mobile. JFC.

- Weird West, an upcoming action RPG from the makers of Prey, looks good. Coming "soon": https://store.steampowered.com/app/1097350/Weird_West/

- Ninja is such a huge fucking embarrassment.

- Apex Legends wins Best Multiplayer.

- Gears: Tactics releases April 28, 2020. Turned based X-Com style strategy.

- Ghosts of Tsushima. Fighter? Action RPG? Summer 2020. PS4 exclusive? [Trailer]

- Best Ongoing Game goes to Fortnite. Who cares? (meanwhile Sydnee Goodman is back on stage in her terrible dress)

- League of Legends wins Esport Game of the Year

- Beat Saber wins Best VR/AR

- Best Performance goes to Mads Mikkelson for Death Stranding

- Fire Emblem: Three Houses wins Fan Vote

- Not surprised so many mobile games are getting attention (and ad spots) but still feels gross to see them

- Also holy shit they've run 3x Samsung ads so far with that dork from Linus Tech Tips

- Okay admittedly Greenday doing a couple of songs was pretty cool.

- Reggie presents Best Indie to Disco Elysium. Stiff competition in this category. It was up against Outer Wilds, Slay the Spire, and Untitled Goose Game.

- Goldenboy wearing a gd necktie. Good for him.

- Death Stranding wins Best Direction.

- Michelle Rodriguez introduces promo for Fast & Furious: Crossroads. May 2020.

- HA! Vin Diesel is a surprise guest.

- But holy fuck could they drag this shit out even more? Now the orchestra is back and playing another set of theme songs. JFC. Just announce the goddamn GOTY winner already.

- SEKIRO: SHADOWS DIE TWICE! wins!!!!
    Last edited by Irish; 12-13-2019 at 03:39 AM.

thank you for your service.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    They have live performances now?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Xbox.
    Xbox 360
    Xbox One
    Xbox Series X? Fire their entire marketing department.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Wow. That Hellblade II trailer was incredible.

Like... jarring... disturbing... super effective.

Awards shows are uniformly terrible. I can't imagine how awkward a game awards show would be.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    They have live performances now?
    Somehow they got Green Day, Chvrches, and Grime to show up and convinced Jonathan Nolan and Stephen Curry to present. I have no idea how.

Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    Awards shows are uniformly terrible. I can't imagine how awkward a game awards show would be.
    Dude you have NO idea, lol.

I've seen high school plays with better blocking and production values.

- - - - -

Agreed!

Somehow they got Green Day, Chvrches, and Grime to show up and convinced Jonathan Nolan and Stephen Curry to present. I have no idea how.
    I'll tell you: $$$$$$$$

- - - - -
    Best trailer was Hellblade II.

Interested in No More Heroes III and Weird West but want to see more.

I liked the show a little more this year but holy shit 3 solid hours of ads & promos tires me the fuck out.

It'd be less gross if they didn't include free mobile game shit & literally sell every inch of advertising space, right down to corporate sponsorships on individual awards.

- - - - -

^ Xbox SeX announcement.

MSFT has always sucked at industrial design and the mini-tower here makes me think "oh yeah this is just like an off brand PC but more limited." I think that might hurt them in some weird way.

I want its name officially changed to Xbox SeX.

I like the design. I was hoping for a metroid prime trilogy announcement for the Switch.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Stunning yes, but we've had some stunners this generation also. More persuasive stuff will probably be shown in the months ahead.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Not only have they outdone themselves with an even dumber name than before (who thought it was possible?), they designed it in a way that it is awkward for every existing tv stand. Unless you can lay that brick on its side, I guess.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Not only have they outdone themselves with an even dumber name than before (who thought it was possible?), they designed it in a way that it is awkward for every existing tv stand. Unless you can lay that brick on its side, I guess.
    Seriously. If you thought the Xbone was ugly.... I swear they just name these thing the first thing that comes to mind.

- - - - -

I didn’t watch the video game awards, and I have no doubt they were a bloated mess. Gotta say, however, the winners were really strong. Disco Elysium and Sekiro have the biggest nights? Hell yeah.