Page 1258 of 1266 FirstFirst ... 25875811581208124812561257125812591260 ... LastLast
Results 31,426 to 31,450 of 31646

Thread: Video Games...Discuss Them

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    On Day 9 of the hunt, PS5 ordered! It was a little nerve-wracking, but becoming a pro member at Gamestop seems to be the best way right now. I was forced to get a bundle as well, but fuck it. $769 for the disk console, Spider-Man Miles Morales, Ratchet & Clank, an extra (black) controller, and a year of PS Plus.

Supposed to arrive by the end of the week. I'll pick up Demon's Souls and Returnal today in anticipation. Success!
    Damn. What a score.

Were you able to order the PS5 separately and just added on? or did all of that come in a bundle?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Were you able to order the PS5 separately and just added on? or did all of that come in a bundle?
    No option to buy only the console. It was bundle or nothing.

- - - - -
    Stalker secretly wants to play Ratchet n Clank

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Stalker secretly wants to play Ratchet n Clank
    I'll admit, I'm not upset about having a showpiece for my new toy. By all accounts it is very impressive technically. But yeah... Not really my thing. My niece however loves the series -- maybe I'll let her play and I'll just watch.

First game going in is Demon's Souls. Once I'm ready to throw my new DualSense controller into the kitty litter (probably around the third boss), I'll switch to Returnal.

I'll admit, I'm not upset about having a showpiece for my new toy. By all accounts it is very impressive technically. But yeah... Not really my thing. My niece however loves the series -- maybe I'll let her play and I'll just watch.

First game going in is Demon's Souls. Once I'm ready to throw my new DualSense controller into the kitty litter (probably around the third boss), I'll switch to Returnal.
    Can't wait to hear what you think of all of them!
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

I hope that The Ascent gets a PlayStation release somewhere down the line. It looks and sounds really neat.

PS5 delivered today. This thing is massive lol. Minimalists beware. Demon's Souls looks and sounds great so far, but really I'm just standing around in the tutorial planning the best way to platinum.

PS5 delivered today. This thing is massive lol. Minimalists beware. Demon's Souls looks and sounds great so far, but really I'm just standing around in the tutorial planning the best way to platinum.
    Yes it is quite large. Do you have it horizontal or vertical?

Bigger than a gaming PC? Because thats where its all going.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Yes it is quite large. Do you have it horizontal or vertical?
    Horizontal currently, but I may shift to vertical.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Bigger than a gaming PC? Because thats where its all going.
    No, but I'd say it's 2.5-3x the size of the original PS4.

- - - - -
    I hope that The Ascent gets a PlayStation release somewhere down the line. It looks and sounds really neat.
    This is on GamePass right now, I think? I might need to re-up my sub because of it.

- - - - -
    Meanwhile, I got Tim the Tatman's stream playing on a second screen. 6 million subs, 114k people watching right now.

He dropped $500 on Apex loot boxes, opening them on stream... crazy this isn't considered gambling and not regulated all to hell.

This is on GamePass right now, I think? I might need to re-up my sub because of it.
    Yeah it is. I've just heard that playing it on a launch Xbox One is definitely not the ideal way to play. Load times apparently exceed 3 minutes!!

- - - - -
    Yeah it is. I've just heard that playing it on a launch Xbox One is definitely not the ideal way to play. Load times apparently exceed 3 minutes!!
    They borked multiplayer on the GamePass version, and apparently there's some issues on PC, too, but afaik it's not a performance thing. Game plays fine. Haven't seen anything about load times.

- - - - -
    Meanwhile .... Back 4 Blood is a terrific looking game & looks like a lotta fun, but I remain surprised how many shooters have similar mechanics. Like, the gameplay loop is exactly the same?

Aside from environments/maps, I can't see a huge diff between this and CoD ... or Apex ... or Valorant ... or Splitgate. Kinda wonder why anyone switches between one and the other.

Which CoD has a better single player campaign...

Modern Warfare (the recent one, not 4)
    World at War

He dropped $500 on Apex loot boxes, opening them on stream... crazy this isn't considered gambling and not regulated all to hell.
    It's pretty wild; at least in the cases of meta-markets like the "skin gambling" in Counter-Strike, that's widely accepted as gambling and disallowed (Valve moved to shut that stuff down, but did not make any meaningful changes to the in-game market itself as I recall). I do remember a case in Europe blowing up a while back though and EA specifically getting into legal trouble with its FIFA games, so I did a quick search which led me to this PC Gamer article from 2018:
    https://www.pcgamer.com/the-legal-st...nd-whats-next/

Conversely, the regulation/legislation section of the wikipedia article on loot boxes seems pretty comprehensive:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loot_box

It was the Netherlands and Belgium where this stuff was being challenged. EA did not accept the results of the Commission in Belgium but as per the wiki article they did eventually stop sales of the FIFA UT packs in 2019 after the Commission went to the courts to seek legal action against them. EA actually tried to sue in the Netherlands and lost their case (LOL). Also interesting to note that companies like Valve and Blizzard voluntarily modified their games in those regions in response to what was happening with EA (Valve patched them out, Blizzard removed the ability to buy them with money). Mostly, however, at least in North America/Europe, it seems no real legal challenges have been presented and the industry is merely recommended to self-regulate... which leads to rating boards like PEGI to declare that it's not up to them to determine what is or isn't gambling (LOL). The ESRB is more explicit in openly declaring them NOT gambling and using prior legal challenges to trading cards as precedent.

But worth noting that some Asian countries do also regulate to some extent, particularly China which bans the sale of "lottery ticket" items and passed legislation requiring games to display the payout rates of loot boxes and even modify algorithms to guarantee payout rates on rare items over a set amount of loot boxes(!). I didn't realize how different the experience for something like Overwatch is across the world as such but it's interesting to think about (you can buy loot boxes here, you can't buy them in the Netherlands/Belgium but you can earn them as in-game rewards, you can't buy them in China but you can earn them as rewards and the game is actually transparent about the percentage chances of finding rare category items per box with potentially modified algorithms for that market alone(?)).
    Last edited by Stay Puft; 08-06-2021 at 08:45 PM.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

Installed Mafia III because I'm craving an M-rated open-world game with violent action and it fit the bill. I got through most of the introduction sequence to get to a police shoot-out where the learning curve appeared to go straight upward. Attempted to get through the sequence multiple -- MULTIPLE -- times on "normal" difficulty and eventually "rage deleted" the game from my system. Now, I'm stuck wondering if I acted too soon. The download takes 3 or 4 hours. Anybody have an open world game suggestion? I was looking at Watch Dogs Legion, but I dunno.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Not gonna lie, the gameplay video I found for Watch Dogs Legion makes it seem pretty intriguing.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Going going for the speed run trophy on XCOM2 today.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Going going for the speed run trophy on XCOM2 today.
    I think I’ll be starting over and enabling the DC content where you have to trigger the Uber queens and kings. Completely forgot about that, and just triggered the UFO / crash landing mission. Still with all basic gear I figured I could knock it out. Then the Goddamned Fucking Viper Queen shows up before I’ve even encountered a Viper. Fuuuuuuck that.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

I fucking HATE the UFO crash mission.

I fucking HATE the UFO crash mission.
    Not a fan, but if you have the Chosen DLC and two reapers, it’s almost a cake walk. Reapers borderline break the game when used properly.

I am loving Demon's Souls and Returnal... but sheesh I may put in Spider-Man just so I can relax a little. These games are tough!

On my second run in Returnal I did really well: beat the first boss, went to lvl 2, then came SO CLOSE to beating second boss. So cool, and so much fun. Now I've lost my mojo, dying several times in a row in lvl 1. But I love the roguelike elements, and it runs like a dream.

Demon's Souls looks fantastic. Going to see the Monumental is no longer onerous and burdensome... it's awe-inspiring. The flickering candles, the newly-orchestrated music, the atmosphere -- that vibe that the game always had but was hidden behind dated tech now has a chance to come to the forefront. Bluepoint did an amazing job. I'm running a priest melee build: dipped into 5-1 for a sec to get the Blessed Mace, now running a faith/vit tanky boy with health regen. As has always been the case, struggling with the 3-1 jail and those damned cthulu mindflayers.