Page 1183 of 1266 FirstFirst ... 1836831083113311731181118211831184118511931233 ... LastLast
Results 29,551 to 29,575 of 31646

Thread: Video Games...Discuss Them

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    I'm saying gaming graphics have always aimed for the highest realism achievable, at least those whose gameplay benefits from it (no point making Monument Valley hyper realistic). The ultimate goal has always been virtual reality, not what we have today, but fully immersive realistic experiences. More The Oasis than Holodeck. In every generation, we percieve what's possible in computer graphics at that time as "realistic", but the goal post keeps moving forward. This will not stop, if anything because it's easier to offer gradually more realistic versions of previous games with incremental improvements to gameplay.
    Sorta agree? at least if we're talking about recent history and a narrow segment of a narrow industry --- ie, certain genres within triple-A games.

Nintendo's continued success peddling the same IP for the last ~30 years, and doing it with cartoonish graphics, refutes your premise.

Anyway, my problem with hyper realistic graphics is that they're attached to hyper-realistic physics, and that limits what games can be.
    Last edited by Irish; 05-15-2020 at 03:13 PM.

There are plenty of Nintendo-like games out there but that was my point about gameplay that doesn't rely on realistic visuals. Nintendo is popular because of their software/hardware synergy. Adventure games like the Tomb Raider and Assassin's Creed series can't get realistic enough. Again - it's much easier to sell a hyper-visual game even with so-so gameplay.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Anyway, my problem with hyper realistic graphics is that they're attached to hyper-realistic physics, and that limits what games can be.
    Even the recent hits like Control refute that claim. What's limiting what games can be is: 1) average gamer taste 2) developer/investor imagination 3) hardware.

- - - - -
    Adventure games like the Tomb Raider and Assassin's Creed series can't get realistic enough. Again - it's much easier to sell a hyper-visual game even with so-so gameplay.
    Oh, absolutely. 100% agree.

Even the recent hits like Control refute that claim. What's limiting what games can be is: 1) average gamer taste 2) developer/investor imagination 3) hardware.
    2 of those stem from the commercial demands of the industry. The other, taste, is the end result of those demands. Something similar happened with Hollywood films over the last ~20 years, where high production costs translate into timid media.

But yeah, I guess my reaction to you initial post was dread --- imagining gaming reduced to triple-A VR, with every title a Tomb Raider or Assassins Creed wannabe. All spectacle, no substance.

- - - - -
    I mean, one of the reasons I like Nintendo is that they're both a platform and a publisher who constantly does weird shit nobody else is doing, and they somehow succeed commercially and artistically despite their tendency to recycle IP every generation.

Give me great art design over photorealism any day of the week.

The closer we get to true photo realism, the more I realize that it's not what I want at all.

It's like 3D - the more you see, the more you realize they don't know how to do it right. It's the same with games.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Nintendo has always done the opposite of what the industry is trending and they somehow survive. I'll never understand their way thinking. Would have thought the Wii-U would have set them back years. Same thing with the Gamecube. It seems every other console they release is a critical and commercial success and the ones in between are not.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I mean, one of the reasons I like Nintendo is that they're both a platform and a publisher who constantly does weird shit nobody else is doing, and they somehow succeed commercially and artistically despite their tendency to recycle IP every generation.
    You can apply what you said to them as well: their long and specific history gives them a whole lot of good will with the customers. Their IPs have lasted as long as they did because they keep reinventing them and creating new generations who have nostalgia for different games.

But yeah, I guess my reaction to you initial post was dread --- imagining gaming reduced to triple-A VR, with every title a Tomb Raider or Assassins Creed wannabe. All spectacle, no substance.
    That's why it's weird that you reacted that way to that specific demo - if anything, it shows the tools and resources available to anyone using their engine, and how they offer the same possibilities to all developers and removes a lot of the cost and development time involved with the specific detail and physics related elements. Let me tell you, the bar for a company being able to use Unreal to create a AAA title is lower than ever, which doesn't mean that we'll start seeing one mindless glitzy blockbuster after another - it means that the OTHER stuff will become the differentiator.

Look at movies and China in particular: their audiences are where we were a few years ago, where any huge effects tentpole was guaranteed to make big bucks at the BO. Now that the level of CGI is available even on TV, it's become harder ti grab that attention.

- - - - -
    That's why it's weird that you reacted that way to that specific demo - if anything, it shows the tools and resources available to anyone using their engine, and how they offer the same possibilities to all developers and removes a lot of the cost and development time involved with the specific detail and physics related elements. Let me tell you, the bar for a company being able to use Unreal to create a AAA title is lower than ever, which doesn't mean that we'll start seeing one mindless glitzy blockbuster after another - it means that the OTHER stuff will become the differentiator.
    You are much more optimistic about the industry than I am.

But good points. Personally, I'd rather see less triple-A and more weird shit like Baba is You or Superhot (a VR game!) or Katmari Damacy or even Animal Crossing --- something where the core concept is new and different and interesting.

Not like Tomb Raider for eternity.

Unreal is cool but frameworks and apps have their own limitations. Eg: Photoshop brushes and Illustrator tools in some way limit what's possible. The medium is the massage, etc etc.

GameCube was the best console of its generation, and to this day has the best gaming controller ever.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Nintendo has always done the opposite of what the industry is trending and they somehow survive. I'll never understand their way thinking. Would have thought the Wii-U would have set them back years. Same thing with the Gamecube. It seems every other console they release is a critical and commercial success and the ones in between are not.
    They have a handful of absolutely killer titles that maybe carries them through?

Remember Eternal Darkness: Sanitys Requiem? That was nuts. Games like that are worth buying the system for.

HL:A isn't "true VR." Near as I can tell, it's a traditional 2-D game with a fancy interface.

I'm guessing a bit at ETM's meaning, but I don't think it fits in with what he was saying.
    What is true VR according to you? It's been made from the ground up with vr in mind.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Oh, absolutely. 100% agree.

2 of those stem from the commercial demands of the industry. The other, taste, is the end result of those demands. Something similar happened with Hollywood films over the last ~20 years, where high production costs translate into timid media.

Variety is good ,but imagine scaling towering buildings and this time actually being mortified when looking down! Doesn't mean the rest of the game has to be vapid. I dunno, seems like a crazy next step that i embrace wholeheartedly.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    They have a handful of absolutely killer titles that maybe carries them through?

Remember Eternal Darkness: Sanitys Requiem? That was nuts. Games like that are worth buying the system for.
    I mean.. EVERY console has at least one good game.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I mean.. EVERY console has at least one good game.
    I challenge you with the Virtual Boy LOL

You are much more optimistic about the industry than I am.
    It's my take from the inside, I have to be optimistic or there's no point.

Personally, I'd rather see less triple-A and more weird shit like Baba is You or Superhot (a VR game!) or Katmari Damacy or even Animal Crossing --- something where the core concept is new and different and interesting.

Not like Tomb Raider for eternity.
    I don't think they're mutually exclusive, I like my The Witness and Transistor as much as my occasional Tomb Raider because they don't overlap. It would be terrible if everyone would start copying TR but so far the franchises don't really swallow up the market and TR is one of those things where it's kinda ok to repack more of the same into a new frame of reference once in a while, just to keep the core idea alive.

Unreal is cool but frameworks and apps have their own limitations. Eg: Photoshop brushes and Illustrator tools in some way limit what's possible. The medium is the massage, etc etc.
    Sure, but by being free, Unreal has democratized the playing field like nothing before it. Likewise, Adobe is seriously threatened in the graphics field by newcomers like Affinity who offer virtually the same, sometimes better, tools for a small one time payment instead of the rental method that Adobe introduced. Sure, it makes great sense for big players to use the big tools but the little guy can produce the same result on a $10 iPad app, and that is HUGE.

Seriously tho..I was curious about Gamecube exclusives...I think there were enough to carry it.

Baten Kaitos
    Eternal Darkness
    F-Zero GX
    Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
    Zelda: Wind Waker
    Lost Kingdoms
    Mario Kart
    Mario Part 4-7
    MGS remake
    (I hear Odama was awesome)
    Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
    SW Rogue Squadron 2-3
    Mario Sunshine
    Mario Melee

If I could get that many decent-to-great games out of a console, I'd say thats pretty good.

Edit: Man Baten Kaitos was dope. I need to play that again.

Seriously tho..I was curious about Gamecube exclusives...I think there were enough to carry it.

Baten Kaitos
    Eternal Darkness
    F-Zero GX
    Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
    Zelda: Wind Waker
    Lost Kingdoms
    Mario Kart
    Mario Part 4-7
    MGS remake
    (I hear Odama was awesome)
    Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
    SW Rogue Squadron 2-3
    Mario Sunshine
    Mario Melee

If I could get that many decent-to-great games out of a console, I'd say thats pretty good.

Edit: Man Baten Kaitos was dope. I need to play that again.
    Do you mean RE Remake?

Also surprised you left off Resident Evil 4.

But I dunno.. that doesn't really scream MUST BUY to me.

My comments were really pointing to how it was received commercially. Coming down from the N64 which sold over 30 mil units, the gamecube only sold 21 m. The only modern console to do worse was the WiiU (13 mil in case you were wondering.. yeesh).

In a market where Sony and Microsoft were advertising their consoles as alternate DVD players, Nintendo released the console with weird tiny discs. Odd move.

Do you mean RE Remake?

Also surprised you left off Resident Evil 4.

But I dunno.. that doesn't really scream MUST BUY to me.
    Nah the Metal Gear Solid remake. Wasn't that a remake of MGS2? I suck at all of them lol.

Well I was just trying to make list of exclusively Gamecube. Of course RE4 would be on list, I beat that damn thing like 5 times. But it wasn't listed as an exclusive on the page I was looking at (didnt it come out for ps too?).
    Last edited by Skitch; 05-15-2020 at 06:38 PM.

Metroid Prime and its sequels were worth the price of the console.

I challenge you with the Virtual Boy LOL
    Wario Land

edit - and I don't actually remember it being terribly good, but just an interesting historical note, Mario Tennis was a pack-in game, which started the franchise and the Mario sports games in general.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Metroid Prime and its sequels were worth the price of the console.
    Whoa how did I miss that?? Yeah MP was epic

Whoa how did I miss that?? Yeah MP was epic
    Yep. A miracle those games.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦