Page 1184 of 1266 FirstFirst ... 1846841084113411741182118311841185118611941234 ... LastLast
Results 29,576 to 29,600 of 31646

Thread: Video Games...Discuss Them

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    I don't think they're mutually exclusive, I like my The Witness and Transistor as much as my occasional Tomb Raider because they don't overlap. It would be terrible if everyone would start copying TR but so far the franchises don't really swallow up the market and TR is one of those things where it's kinda ok to repack more of the same into a new frame of reference once in a while, just to keep the core idea alive.
    True, but AAA titles dominate the industry and the conversations around it, much like Marvel/Superhero/"Cinematic Universes" now dominate Hollywood.

So in some sense the limitations of this engine becomes the limitation of the industry and the experience.

Nobody takes risks when the budgets push past $100 million, after all.

Sure, but by being free, Unreal has democratized the playing field like nothing before it. Likewise, Adobe is seriously threatened in the graphics field by newcomers like Affinity who offer virtually the same, sometimes better, tools for a small one time payment instead of the rental method that Adobe introduced. Sure, it makes great sense for big players to use the big tools but the little guy can produce the same result on a $10 iPad app, and that is HUGE.
    Free is a double edged sword because it usually means (a) that thing becomes a standard and (b) nobody can compete against it. Very large companies use "free" to suck all the air out of the room. Eg: Web browsers and servers, development frameworks, email clients, etc.

When you saw the demo, you saw possibility. When I saw it, I sighed with boredom because it felt as though I was getting a sneak peak at the next 10 years of major releases, complete with the same hyped-up talk about polygons and triangles and resolutions that I've been hearing for decades.

Playing through some major release recently, I was struck that how similar they are to those ridiculous FMV games released on CD-ROM in the 90s. The interfaces are slicker now and the graphics better, but functionally it's the same old shit.

ETA: I am extremely cranky about this but of course my viewpoint is also limited, being outside the industry. I honestly hope your optimism wins out at the end of the day. God, that would rock.
    Last edited by Irish; 05-15-2020 at 07:51 PM.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    What is true VR according to you? It's been made from the ground up with vr in mind.
    More in line with what ETM said --- Oasis or a Holodeck.

I haven't played HL:A but I've watched gameplay footage. This is of course a limited way to view it but everything the guy did in the game was the same shit you can do on a console with a controller. The major difference with VR is that your body becomes the controller, but the game's scope and what it can offer is more or less the same.

So, on my new play through of RDR2, once I got off the mountain, I did the Hosea mission, and now I’ve already bagged three legendary animals with the Springfield: Grizzly, moose, beaver.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

We're all here talking about VR and worrying about COVID.

Scar over here bagging some legendary beaver.

Fuckin legend.

Supposedly. Stream or it didnt happen.

*gets popcorn

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    More in line with what ETM said --- Oasis or a Holodeck.

I haven't played HL:A but I've watched gameplay footage. This is of course a limited way to view it but everything the guy did in the game was the same shit you can do on a console with a controller. The major difference with VR is that your body becomes the controller, but the game's scope and what it can offer is more or less the same.
    Perhaps I'm fuzzy on what the holodeck actually does, but that's also just a world around you that's made out of pixels. And probably the kind of thing you and I won't live to see in this life for home consumption. So for me VR is the kind that exists now, rather than a pipe dream. VR can be transformative, but rewriting the rulebook wholesale for what games should be? I guess not. I suspect HLA wouldn't be the same at all with a controller. Not as intuitive, like grabbing a bucket to trap headcrabs underneath, or hiding and with another hand preventing a bottle to fall so as not give away your position, just the act of physically reloading your gun. That you can do that with a controller is kinda moot no? I mean, it's also good cuz having top of the shelf VR is costly enough, but I can imagine driving to work in a brand new BMW is nicer than in a Ssangyong Rodius even when the end result is the same. Perhaps there's loads of untapped potential regarding what games can be, but you'll have to forgive me when I say not even holodeck farming simulator is going to get my juices flowing.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Supposedly. Stream or it didnt happen.

*gets popcorn
    Y’all really want to hear me ‘yell’ at Ollie, don’t you?
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Y’all really want to hear me ‘yell’ at Ollie, don’t you?
    Is this some weird new sex thing the young people are saying now?

"Boy oh boy I had a date last night with this legendary beaver. She really made me yell at Ollie, let me tell ya"

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Is this some weird new sex thing the young people are saying now?

"Boy oh boy I had a date last night with this legendary beaver. She really made me yell at Ollie, let me tell ya"
    He is not amused...

He is, after all, the leader of Squirrel Team Six

- - - - -
    Those are pictures of dogs, not beavers.

Where is the beaver, Scar?

Oh no...Scar you don't...you don't think those are beavers, do you?

Got the Legends of the East satchel in RDR2 after weeks (months?) of hunting. This is an absurd amount of storage.

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    Got the Legends of the East satchel in RDR2 after weeks (months?) of hunting. This is an absurd amount of storage.
    Ye Old Bag of Holding.

Sick! Loooove the car skins! Ferrari F40 at the end.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Been a while since I played through GTAV. I may have to do it again.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    I've been going after that off and on for months. I'm stuck trying to find the a panther for the panther skin. There are supposed to be panthers south of Valentine in the woods along the lake, but I have yet to see a single one.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    I've been going after that off and on for months. I'm stuck trying to find the a panther for the panther skin. There are supposed to be panthers south of Valentine in the woods along the lake, but I have yet to see a single one.
    Assuming you mean south of Rhodes, that's where it should be. The wooded area just south of Bolder Glade, right along the water. At least, that's where I found mine repeatedly.

The only times I couldn't get one to spawn there is if I was using cover scent and predator bait. So instead I'd just roam around and let myself get (nearly) ambushed.

I've seen Mario accompanied by live musicians before, but this is tops. He does the music PLUS the sound effect without missing a beat. The tremolo at the end of the first level as the high score counts up is hilarious to me. The shell glitch too.

[]

Holy shit that's impressive.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    A semi-modern version of "start to crate"?

http://www.oldmanmurray.com/features/39.html
    From that piece:

Scientists tell us that our prehistoric ancestor Homo Habilis, as he stood high atop a cliff thoughtfully chewing a great mouthful of Ancient Grains brand cereal, often stared up at the sky and wondered: Where can I hide my ammo and health?
    Hahaha

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    From that piece:

Hahaha

What's funny (and a little sad) is most of what they're complaining about is still true 20 year later.

My favorite essay of theirs is "Death of the Adventure Game," where they make fun of the ridiculous puzzles in Gabriel Knight 3.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I've been playing stuff I can jump in and out of pretty quickly lately.

So I've been playing a LOT of Doom II.... Not Doom Infernal. I mean... 1995's Doom 2. I'm trying to beat a certain level on Nightmare mode, and I'm pretty confident it's impossible. There's just not enough ammo and with enemies self reviving, there's no way to get through the level without BOTH Arch-viles killing you from across the map. Fun to try though. I guess I should drop the difficulty to see if I can do it on the non-self reviving enemy one.

Also.. Torchlight 2 - What a fun little romp. Hard to not see the WoW and Diablo similarities but I think that's the point no?

Also been playing a small indie title called Get Even - It's like a combination of Outlast, Amnesia the Dark Descent, Condemned with a little bit of Assassin's Creed and some of the psychedelic episodes of Max Payne mixed in. yeh that's a wide range of games. I think that is the game's biggest flaw is it's trying to do too much and in turn, there is very little "gaming" in the game. The game relies on you to find "clues" like Condemned or Batman Arkham City and what you find changes your outcome later in the game. But finding clues is really the only "game" part of it. It's linear as shit which is a little bit disappointing.

And as a little bit of a time waster... a simple little game called Let them Come - You're a Marine alla Aliens defending your hallway from incoming enemies. You get boosts and power-ups here and there to let loose. It's fun.

PSA: Get Even is $1 if anyone feels inclined.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/bandai-namco-4

I don't play beatem ups anymore, but fuck does this look badass!

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

So who would really win in a fight? Robocop or Terminator? I'm thinkin Terminator. Robocop is just too slow. BUt yeh that looks badass. I'm happy they got Arnold's likeness too.