Page 1214 of 1266 FirstFirst ... 2147141114116412041212121312141215121612241264 ... LastLast
Results 30,326 to 30,350 of 31646

Thread: Video Games...Discuss Them

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    A futuristic city that isn't in ruins might seem refreshing to go through at least.
    I never played Witcher 3, but Cyberpunk's world seems denser, more immediately inviting and appealing as well. At least to me.

I see more opportunities for alleyways, backdoors, climbing, jumping on top of things etc.. than in a game with a medieval setting that's bound to look more desolate.

I mean, anytime I stumbled across a secret in Red Dead Redemption 2, I felt that it was basically a cave somewhere. A generalization perhaps, but Cyberpunk's world may have more visual triggers to pique one's interest. In theory.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    I never played Witcher 3, but Cyberpunk's world seems denser, more immediately inviting and appealing as well. At least to me.

I see more opportunities for alleyways, backdoors, climbing, jumping on top of things etc.. than in a game with a medieval setting that's bound to look more desolate.

I mean, anytime I stumbled across a secret in Red Dead Redemption 2, I felt that it was basically a cave somewhere. A generalization perhaps, but Cyberpunk's world may have more visual triggers to pique one's interest. In theory.
    Exactly. And Fallout, while sci-fi, was also desolate and ruins. Ghost of Tsushima wasn't really anything close to Fallout/RDR levels to even be in the discussion.

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic is pretty good I suppose, and probably comparable, although you could only go into so many buildings.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -
    There have been some good sci-fi games with decent amounts of exploration. Star Trek: Elite Force, Deux Ex, Halo, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Star Wars: The Old Republic (the failed MMO), Mass Effect, Destiny, Apex Legends, Nier Automata...

The only RPG I've played where you could literally walk, run, climb, and jump around every single object in the world was Breath of the Wild. You saw a mountain or a tower or a fortress on the horizon, you could eventually find a way to get there and check it out.

In Witcher 3, while in combat, Geralt couldn't jump over a half meter tall fence. He couldn't swing a sword and leap over a stool or a table. They had huge, bustling cities, which were def a highlight of the game, but you could only go into certain buildings during quest events. He couldn't spontaneously climb anything, either ,and ladder physics were a little dodgy.

CDPR uses the same in-house engine for all their games. I assume they made improvements over the last 5 years, but it feels like you guys are expecting way more than any RPG could deliver. Most of these games are about breadth with the illusion of depth: wipe open terrain, lotsa objects on the screen, fully voiced NPCS, etc. But at the end of the day you're looting crates over and over for crafting mats and vendor trash, navigating the same dialogue trees multiple times, and checking boxes on a skill tree.

ETA: I'm still curious about how it will play (and especially how much Keanu-time players actually get), but I'm sorta expecting Cyberpunk to look incredible while being mostly similar to every other RPG out there, because that's how Witcher 3 was.
    Last edited by Irish; 10-22-2020 at 02:43 AM.

- - - - -
    Curse my brain now I have the weirdest impulse to replay Knights of the Old Republic again or boot up Divinity Original Sin 2 ....

Mass Effect, thank you. Similar to Knights of the Old Republic, but truly felt like a game that was "role-playing game." Tons of different directions, not where you pick a certain choice, only for it to really end up how the game wanted it to be. Loved that. I never played 4, or whatever it's called after 3.

And yeah, I got maybe a hour into Witcher 3 and hated the controls and similar issues that I just couldn't get into it.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Curse my brain now I have the weirdest impulse to replay Knights of the Old Republic again or boot up Divinity Original Sin 2 ....
    I've been trying to get Knights of the Old Republic to work on my PC for a couple of months now. It's totally broken in today's standards the biggest problem being hte dated controls.

But I'm trying to get the Ultra Widescreen option to work better.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

"All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    I seriously burned out on Witcher 3 because I did ALL the side quests.
    Basically, these are the only games I like playing anymore. I can just muck around and do random stuff for a while and then bail whenever. Breath of the Wild was pretty much the only reason I got a Switch. (Though my wife and I like playing Overcooked together). I need to upgrade my computer and get RDR1&2
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Firing up an XCOM2 DLC Legendary run while The Darkest Dungeon downloads.

EDIT: Title fix
    Last edited by Scar; 10-23-2020 at 03:39 PM.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Oh man, please tell me what you think of Darkest Dungeon!! I love it!

- - - - -

Curious if you're playing with "Lost and Abandoned" turned off? Or with any of the second wave options? I kinda loathe L&A because it takes forever and it's pretty easy to cheese once you've played it. OTOH, immediately getting 2 hero classes and a specific Chosen enemy also makes the first 1-2 months much, much easier.

Pro-tip on DD: Don't read anything about the boss fights before you do them. The encounters are much more fun when you go into them blind.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Curious if you're playing with "Lost and Abandoned" turned off? Or with any of the second wave options? I kinda loathe L&A because it takes forever and it's pretty easy to cheese once you've played it. OTOH, immediately getting 2 hero classes and a specific Chosen enemy also makes the first 1-2 months much, much easier.

Pro-tip on DD: Don't read anything about the boss fights before you do them. The encounters are much more fun when you go into them blind.
    I just go with the integrated DLC option. The skirmisher always gets captured, and the reaper and I go killing.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Scar I wish you could record some of your game play for that game. I'd love to see how you play.

At about 3:30am today, this happened...

God...DAMN! :-)

Challenge accepted.

Legen - wait for it - dary!

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    At about 3:30am today, this happened...

ALL the Dreamcatchers???

I forgot what I had to collect, but the weird guy in Saint Denis had me looking for stuff, and I never found a single one.

Well done!

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Scar I wish you could record some of your game play for that game. I'd love to see how you play.
    I backed off from the Legendary run, and just started a lowly veteran run just to have fun. If I remember to save some video, I will.

I backed off from the Legendary run, and just started a lowly veteran run just to have fun. If I remember to save some video, I will.
    Awesome! Even Veteran is like Impossible Mode for me

Yeah or live stream, whatev

Quote Quoting Scar
    God...DAMN! :-)

Challenge accepted.
    LOL

*flexes*

Quote Quoting Ezee E
    ALL the Dreamcatchers???

I forgot what I had to collect, but the weird guy in Saint Denis had me looking for stuff, and I never found a single one.

Well done!
    Algernon Wasp. He's the flower guy who makes hats.

Anyway, yup...it was ALL the things. The full compendium is what I'm most proud of. It's not necessary for the 100%, though it does put me closer to Platinum if that's a thing I do (I ain't decided yet; a friend loaned me her Wii and I'm going to play BotW next). Most things you only need a portion. But it didn't feel like a proper 100% unless I had everything.

And not just discovered - I got full bars for the entire compendium. If to get a full bar for a horse you needed to study, break and bond with multiple coats of that breed, I did that, even if it meant I went to a stable, bought a horse with an uncommon coat, rode it for 3 seconds, and then immediately sold it back. If you had to catch a northern pike with a river lure and not just any old bait, I did that too. And so on. In fact, I could've completed the 100% weeks ago, but I reserved my final activity that I knew would push me over the official 100% until I'd studied/killed/collected every animal and bird, got every trinket and weapon, crafted every single item from the Trapper, etc.

Been chipping away at this for 9 months. I checked my time in game on Rockstar Social Club, and I'm not sure I want to report out that number here.

It's probably the most insane thing I've ever done. But it was also the most satisfying gaming experience I've ever had.

Having a game take hold of your imagination like that is such a great feeling. It can be maddening, too, but it's mostly awesome.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    Been chipping away at this for 9 months. I checked my time in game on Rockstar Social Club, and I'm not sure I want to report out that number here.
    You're talking to people who may or may not have put ~700 hours into Diablo III. There is no shame in the Video Game thread.

(Just look at Scar. He's playing X-Com on Veteran. )
    Last edited by Irish; 10-27-2020 at 03:46 AM.

Over/under 300 hours is my estimate. Gosh, I hope there's another game that will get me in the open world like that did. Last of Us 2 made me appreciate story just like I did in the first one. RDR2's story is certainly right with it.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter