Page 1 of 1266 12311511015011001 ... LastLast

Thread: Video Games...Discuss Them

Video Games...Discuss Them

This is the official video game thread.

I'll start by saying "Half Life 2: Episode 1" was kind of disappointing.

Mostly for the fact that it took me 2 1/2 hours to beat.

I remember when it first came out on PC, and it cost $49.99 (usually a "full" game will cost $59.99-$69.99 if it's on PC)...I would have been MEGA-pissed if I had bought that back then and played through 2 1/2 hours and get a cliffhanger ending.

Anyways, I'm onto "Episode 2" now and it seems much better. The graphics especially are greatly improved.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Man, you blazed through episode 1. It's taken me about 5 hours both times, which is a perfect length for the game, and for the price ($20, was it really $50 in Canada? Damn - that's crazy.) if you were to buy it as a stand alone expansion. But any how, now you get it for free, just for buying Half Life 2 on the 360.

It doesn't quite live up to the greatness of HL2 (but there are only so many things that do), but damn, from the hospital on through the ending, it's pretty bad ass.

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    Man, you blazed through episode 1. It's taken me about 5 hours both times, which is a perfect length for the game, and for the price ($20) if you were to buy it as a stand alone expansion.

It doesn't quite live up to the greatness of HL2 (but there are only so many things that do), but damn, from the hospital on through the ending, it's pretty bad ass.

Really? I was actually being quite patient going through the game - exploring all the rooms and areas, any possible alternate routes, etc.

Yet when I beat it I had been playing for about half an hour, and the time at my last save wasn't even 2 hours yet.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Really? I was actually being quite patient going through the game - exploring all the rooms and areas, any possible alternate routes, etc.

Yet when I beat it I had been playing for about half an hour, and the time at my last save wasn't even 2 hours yet.
    That's crazy, I don't think I could beat it that fast if I tried.

But man, they charged $50 for it in Canada? You could have dl'ed off of Steam for only $20 when it came out.

Did I somehow skip a large part of the game, then?

Because seriously...I was borderline pissed off when the end credits came around.

But man, they charged $50 for it in Canada? You could have dl'ed off of Steam for only $20 when it came out.

Yeh, in Canada the Episode One PC game was $49.99...I think it wasn't until the Orange Box came out that it went down to $29.99.

Where exactly was Episode 1 being sold for $50 CAN? It was $20 here, too, everywhere I looked. Same with SiN Episodes.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

Yeh, in Canada the Episode One PC game was $49.99...I think it wasn't until the Orange Box came out that it went down to $29.99.
    Wow, I just did some research, and even retail here it only cost $20 when it first hit. What was the price on Steam when it was released?

That's just crazy, I'm sure Valve had nothing to do with how much the game was in Canada. They were very firm with the $20 price point here - it's a short expansion, another level or two to add on to HL2.

Best Boy
    this thread should just be called the Orange Box thread. it was like that for the last 5 pages of the old site also.

Quote Quoting Mr. Valentine (view post)
    this thread should just be called the Orange Box thread. it was like that for the last 5 pages of the old site also.
    If there is one game that deserves it's own thread, it is Half Life.

Quote Quoting Stay Puft (view post)
    Where exactly was Episode 1 being sold for $50 CAN? It was $20 here, too, everywhere I looked. Same with SiN Episodes.
    The only place I ever saw it for sale was FutureShop, and it was $49.99 when I saw it there.

The only place I ever saw it for sale was FutureShop, and it was $49.99 when I saw it there.
    Wow. That had to have been some kind of isolated mistake on their part. My local FutureShop was selling it for $19.99 when it came out, and it has been available on the FutureShop website for a while now for $9.99.

Wow. That had to have been some kind of isolated mistake on their part. My local FutureShop was selling it for $19.99 when it came out, and it has been available on the FutureShop website for a while now for $9.99.

Really?

That's strange.

What area of Canada do you live in?

What area of Canada do you live in?
    Northern Ontario, i.e. the boring half of Ontario.

Northern Ontario, i.e. the boring half of Ontario.

Ah...Ottawa's not much better.

It's nickname is "The City That Fun Forgot".

I'm taking a little break from The Orange Box and am playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance a lot. I just finished up Asgard and I can't get enough of it. I really was suprised by the depth of the customization of the characters and all the other extra stuff (like trivia games) they've put in the game. It's great!

My 4 year old and I love playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance. Have you discovered the "special teams" that are in the game? When you put certain characters together you get bonuses. For example: Fantastic Four, the New Avengers, or Girl Power (using all female characters), and my favorite- Bad to the Bone (use Blade, Wolverine, Luke Cage, and Ghost Rider).

I haven't tried those special teams out yet, but I will later. I kinda expected some kind of bonus if you pick the Fantastic Four (because that's the obvious one ofcourse ), but I would've never guessed the other ones you mentioned.

I usually play with Captain America, Hulk, Wolverine and Thor / Cyclops.

Yeh, I too love Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

I really should get around to buying those extra characters packs one of these days, so I can play as Cyclops, Hulk, Venom, Magneto, etc.

I usually play with Iron Man, Captain American, Daredevil and Wolverine.

So, what are the bonuses you get when you create certain teams, exactly?

Are there any really great pick-me-up-and-play-for-no-more-than-10-minutes games for the Wii? I'm feeling really stupid about buying this piece of machinery, which I've spent roughly $400 on and 30 hours with. The only kind of game I have any desire for these days are things where my session with it won't exceed a coffee break.

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    So, what are the bonuses you get when you create certain teams, exactly?
    I've taken this from GameFAQs and haven't tried it out myself but these are some of the bonuses:

Agile Warriors : 10% Reduced Energy Cost (Spider-Man, Spider-Woman, Elektra, Deadpool)
    Avengers : +5% damage (Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Spider-Woman, Ms. Marvel)
    Bruisers : +15 Striking (Thing, Captain America, Luke Cage, Ms. Marvel)
    Think Tanks: +15% Max Health (Dr. Strange, Mr. Fantastic, Spider-Man, Iron Man)

Here's the full list:
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox...de/932586.html

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    Are there any really great pick-me-up-and-play-for-no-more-than-10-minutes games for the Wii? I'm feeling really stupid about buying this piece of machinery, which I've spent roughly $400 on and 30 hours with. The only kind of game I have any desire for these days are things where my session with it won't exceed a coffee break.
    Hmm, Super Mario Galaxy is probably a game that will work well in quick bursts. It's not out yet though (16th November is the release date). And overall the reviews are very positive about this one, it should be a great game.

I think Guitar Hero III is great for short play sessions, but it's more expensive because you will have to buy the whole guitar package.

Quote Quoting Saya (view post)
    Hmm, Super Mario Galaxy is probably a game that will work well in quick bursts. It's not out yet though (16th November is the release date). And overall the reviews are very positive about this one, it should be a great game.

I think Guitar Hero III is great for short play sessions, but it's more expensive because you will have to buy the whole guitar package.
    I'll probably up Mario then. I was doing alright in Zelda until I took a break mid-temple. That never works out well.

I'll probably never own a Guitar Hero game, as I feel very stupid when playing them. I don't feel other people are stupid when playing them; it's just me.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Words cannot describe how fun Guitar Hero III is, as well as just how good I am at it.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    Jesus man, the Wii is like, made for that. Rayman! Wario Ware! Kororinpa! Wii Sports! Excite Truck! Wii Play! Elebits! Virtual Console games! Did I mention Kororinpa?