Page 1123 of 1266 FirstFirst ... 12362310231073111311211122112311241125113311731223 ... LastLast
Results 28,051 to 28,075 of 31646

Thread: Video Games...Discuss Them

I’m really not big on Ubisoft games. All their big franchises seem to feel the same.

I don’t think I could pick a AAA studio that I’d say is doing a good job overall lately. I would have said Bungie but IMO they’ve dropped significantly with Destiny stuff.

Blizzard seems to have now jumped into crap territory as well.

Bethesda isn’t a lost cause because of one failure, but it’s worrisome.

So yeah, maybe Irish is right. Nintendo. Say what you will about their games not being mature enough, or how many more Mario or Smash Bros. games we need, they consistently blow away expectations with both reviewers and gamers.

- - - - -
    I'm a little bit warmer on Ubisoft because they've released new games and decent ports for Switch.

"Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle" is basically "X-Com" with a Nintendo aesthetic. Totally goofy, totally fun. (I didn't think a silly rabbit AI could come up with solid strategy, but I was wrong. It's like getting your ass handed to you by the Trix cereal mascot.) "Rayman Legends" is an older game but it looks and plays beautifully on Nintendo's limited hardware.

I think it's a totally valid criticism to say that Nintendo just releases the same shit every console generation. OTOH, what they're doing this gen with hardware design, portability, motion controls, and gameplay features feels wildly creative and just plain fun. (And luckily, since this stuff is brand new to me, that criticism isn't as meaningful.)
    Last edited by Irish; 12-06-2018 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    meanwhile from the team who made "hotline miami," lol

[]
    Oh.

My.

God.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Oh.

My.

God.
    More of this. Less of everything else.

Oh my.

I wandered into a GameStop looking for a copy of Skyward Sword for 'Scarette' [
    ], and heard the employees talking about Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. Anybody play that?
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

- - - - -
    I wandered into a GameStop looking for a copy of Skyward Sword for 'Scarette' [
    ], and heard the employees talking about Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. Anybody play that?
    Second hand, but: I've heard nothing but good things. Supposed to be one of the best games on the platform. More story driven than action driven. Top tier voice acting. Not sure about the mechanics. I don't think it's a hack-n-slash or dodge-roll hyper-adrenaline sorta thing. The story is apparently a metaphor for mental illness.
    Last edited by Irish; 12-07-2018 at 12:45 AM.

- - - - -
    BTW, Game Awards live stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHt3FyE-VIQ

Pre-show right now, awards start at 9pm eastern.

I never knew this existed until last week but a buncha YouTubers have been talking about it ... so I guess it's important?

ETA: "Dead Cells" / Motion Twin just won Best Action Game ... during the pre-show? lol

...Monster Hunter World wins Best RPG

...Cloud9 wins Best Esports Team

...Overwatch wins Best Esports Game

...This is such a bizarre show I have no idea what's going on
    Last edited by Irish; 12-07-2018 at 12:55 AM.

Second hand, but: I've heard nothing but good things. Supposed to be one of the best games on the platform. More story driven than action driven. Top tier voice acting. Not sure about the mechanics. I don't think it's a hack-n-slash or dodge-roll hyper-adrenaline sorta thing. The story is apparently a metaphor for mental illness.
    They also said it was rather unsettling (BONUS), and to make sure to wear surround sound head phones. I asked if a robust 7.1 speaker system would suffice, and they nodded enthusiastically. Creepy voice effects / acting, etc. I think it retails for 30 on PSN, and it just got a physical release, too, since it did so well as a digital only release.

- - - - -
    They also said it was rather unsettling (BONUS), and to make sure to wear surround sound head phones. I asked if a robust 7.1 speaker system would suffice, and they nodded enthusiastically. Creepy voice effects / acting, etc.
    No doubt. I think there's a psychological horror element to it, too. Apparently, the heroine is haunted by voices and spirits talking to her as she travels.

Def interested in reading your thoughts if you play it!

- - - - -

Coming to Switch 2019?! WTF. It's an exclusive. Never saw that coming.

Wow. I need to get a Switch.

Whoa. Suddenly my most anticipated game.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

- - - - -

No doubt. I think there's a psychological horror element to it, too. Apparently, the heroine is haunted by voices and spirits talking to her as she travels.

Def interested in reading your thoughts if you play it!
    Might be awhile. Wandered away from RDR2 for no apparent reason, and fired up XCOM2 again. After the elusive Gold Trophy of Champion + Difficulty Ironman mode. Plus, the DLC finally went on sale.

Who knows what might happen after a couple scotches tomorrow night, though.

- - - - -

Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey from Panache Games. (2019, PC / XBox / PS4)

- - - - -

"Scavengers" teaser. Midwinter Games, maybe 2019?

- - - - -

"Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe." Exclusive console content, new endings, etc. (2019, PS4 / XBox One)

- - - - -

"Anthem" story trailer. EA/ Bioware. (Yuck.)
    Last edited by Irish; 12-07-2018 at 02:09 AM.

- - - - -

"The Outer Worlds." Obsidian ... the same devs behind the original "Fallout" and "New Vegas." (2019, PS4 / XBox One / PC)

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Just over here hoping for Metroid stuff.

- - - - -

"Sayonara: Wild Hearts." I have no idea what this is but I kinda wanna play it.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Just over here hoping for Metroid stuff.
    Yep. This is the most awkwardly produced awards show I've ever seen.

I'm still watching only to see if Nintendo will have more surprise announcements.

- - - - -

Psychonauts 2!

- - - - -

Dragon Age teaser from EA / Bioware

http://blog.bioware.com/2018/12/06/thedreadwolfrises/