Page 1018 of 1266 FirstFirst ... 18518918968100810161017101810191020102810681118 ... LastLast
Results 25,426 to 25,450 of 31646

Thread: Video Games...Discuss Them

The boss battles in MGS3 always looked totally bad ass.

I've read, listened to, and watched a lot of stuff on MGS3.

I finished Until Dawn. The final hour has some pretty cool stuff. I saved only three characters.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

CSB time:

I had one of the most thrilling video game experiences I've ever had last night.

Playing Phantom Pain, I was tasked with infiltrating this Russian stronghold to free a doctor who was being held prisoner. I had just researched and required a sniper rifle, and wanted to try it out. I started by picking off the first layer of guards, one-by-one. But then I got greedy and careless, moved in too close and got spotted. Shit went bad, and went bad fast. Alarms were raised. The Russian COM officers tried to radio in for reinforcements. Unbeknownst to him, on a recent SIDE-OPS mission I had disabled the communications radars on the two closest bases (this, btw, wasn't a mission objective, just something I did). The stronghold was completely cut-off from the rest of their forces.

Enemy soldiers started shelling me with mortars, foot soldiers started moving in on my location. That's when I was saved by an act of God. A huge sandstorm moved in, and I moved with it. I was completely enshrouded by a blinding cloud of sand and dust, but I kept pushing forward. As enemy soldiers blindly entered my field of view, I popped them off with one head shot at a time, taking down a dozen men. I stayed within the confines of the storm until I came across my objective - the stairs leading down to an underground prison where the prisoner was being kept.

Unfortunately, there were too many lights down there, and a few guards around the corner. I found the power generator. Shut it off, and then hid in a dumpster. The last of guards came to investigate why the power had gone off, I busted out of the dumpster and took them down with three perfectly placed head shots. POP. POP. POP.

With all the Russians dead or unconscious, I had completely secured the stronghold, found the doctor, extracted him, and sent him back to Mother Base, and now I can upgrade my prosthetic arm.

This game is so bad-ass it hurts.
    Last edited by D_Davis; 09-03-2015 at 03:52 PM.

How is it to follow along with, D?

Do you need to be an MGS vet?
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    How is it to follow along with, D?

Do you need to be an MGS vet?
    I've answered this question here like 4 times now.

I haven't seen a Metal Gear game in its entirety since MGS2. The last one I played in its entirety was MGS1.

I know very little about the story, and I'm pretty sure The Phantom Pain will be among the very best games I've ever played.

Just watch those videos I posted earlier, and play through Ground Zeroes (should take a couple of hours).

Or watch the Gametrailers 11 minute story so far.

Phantom Pain is very light on the story once you get past the prologue.

Sorry.

No worries.

I would just say if you like really deep, complex, stealth and action games, with a heavy dose of weird shit, some base building and RPG elements, get the game.

Ground Zeroes has been downloading for like a month and a half. Whenever that finishes, I'll play it, then check out The Phantom Pain.

So D, do you find the story in MGS5 hard to follow? Do you need to be an MGS vet to get it?
    Last edited by megladon8; 09-06-2015 at 07:30 PM.

Ground Zeroes has been downloading for like a month and a half. Whenever that finishes, I'll play it, then check out The Phantom Pain.
    I would just say skip GZ and buy The Phantom Pain. The main story mission in GZ is about 2 hours long, or about 10 minutes long once you know how to do it. Also, it only offers up a tiny slice of that TPP is - GZ is more of an extended tutorial on the new control mechanics.

Just watch a recap of Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes. You can get most of the back story in TPP by listening to the cassette tapes at any time.

The Phantom Pain continues to be remarkable in very single way. I am confident in placing it right along side Dark Souls as one of the very best experiences I've ever had gaming. It continues to be get more complex without getting more frustrating, and the missions continue to be exciting. One mission in particular I played this past weekend was one of the coolest things I've ever experienced in a game. It was absolutely exhilarating; a nerve-wracking, tense, and nail-biting search and rescue mission culminating in me outrunning an attack helicopter in a small mech suit while simultaneously escaping a giant Metal Gear and a small squad of soldiers hot on my trail. It made me feel like a total bad ass.

One problem I've had with Ground Zeroes is that it just tossed me in with no context, tutorial or anything.

A friend at work said The Phantom Pain has a better structure and eases you in with control tutorials and the like.

One problem I've had with Ground Zeroes is that it just tossed me in with no context, tutorial or anything.

A friend at work said The Phantom Pain has a better structure and eases you in with control tutorials and the like.
    Ground Zeroes was meant as nothing more than a PS4 demo for future Metal Gear Games.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

So how's the story in The Phantom Pain? Do you have to know a lot about MGS games?

Pretty much. I've played all of them numerous times, and I also run the MGS Wiki. Without this encyclopedic knowledge, The Phantom Pain is unplayable.

I'd really like to check it out, I'm just worried about following the story.

The MGS games are pretty convoluted.

What do you think, D? Do I need to have played and know earlier games in order to "get" it?

Will this question ever get answered?

“What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

I mean, I've played the previous Metal Gear games, but is that enough to understand what goes on in MGSV?

Quote Quoting Neclord (view post)
    I mean, I've played the previous Metal Gear games, but is that enough to understand what goes on in MGSV?
    I'm sorta in the same boat. I haven't played any MGS games since Sons of Liberty. Will I have trouble jumping into Uncharted 3?
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I thought I answered this question weeks ago.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    I'm sorta in the same boat. I haven't played any MGS games since Sons of Liberty. Will I have trouble jumping into Uncharted 3?
    I'm worried about Fallout 4, since I'm in the same boat as you.

So one of the things I love about Dark Souls is the number of complex systems at play. There are items that have super cryptic, undocumented uses, and entire areas and NPCs you can miss if you don't do weird, archaic things. Even when I'm not the one figuring puzzles out, I love that the stuff exists.

The Phantom Pain has stuff like that, which is why it's scratching that itch more than games like Dark Souls II and Bloodborne did.

For instance: in the game you have a personal, smart data device called the iDroid. It's also a cassette player (love the anachronisms). You get cassettes with mission and background info. You also get short cassettes of phrases and sounds. One such sound is a recording of a dude taking a dump. OK. That's weird. You can also modify your iDroid with an external speaker.

There are also places where you can hide to wait out enemy alert statuses. One of those places are the outhouses scattered about. However, these aren't totally safe because sometimes you might be hiding in one and a dude will have to use it and then you'll be discovered.

But if you have the external speaker on your iDroid, and you have the cassette of the dude taking a dump, you can use that to trick the enemies into thinking that you're just another soldier using the outhouse, and then you won't be bothered.

This information is never presented to you. And there seems to be a ton of stuff like that. Stuff that lesser games would highlight and draw attention to "HEY! LOOK HERE! DO THIS!"

So many times I've asked myself "I wonder if I can do this?" And the answer is almost always "YES!"

I wasn't able to play the game yesterday, and now I'm totally jonesin' to go home and play it for hours on end.

BTW, I wouldn't touch The Phantom Pain unless you've reached Master status in the original NES Tetris. There's stuff that happens in that game that sets up a TON OF STUFF in TPP.

It's so weird to be the guy super into Metal Gear.

Anyhow...this website is somehow connected, and will be doing something in a couple of days.

http://ingsoc.org/