Page 1168 of 1266 FirstFirst ... 1686681068111811581166116711681169117011781218 ... LastLast
Results 29,176 to 29,200 of 31646

Thread: Video Games...Discuss Them

To say that "video game stories are awkwardly stapled on top of gameplay" indicates to me this person's conception of video games (and storytelling, for that matter) is needlessly limited. I'm guessing this is the type of person who would say Dark Souls, Inside, or maybe even Gone Home don't have stories because there's never a sequence where you put the controller down and watch characters speak to each other.

Need to vent a bit guys... Wife and I work at the same video game company, as you may remember. Today we had to sign away 30% of our paychecks for the next 6 months in order to keep the company afloat. This is company-wide and includes all departments and the owners themselves. The idea is to bridge us over the next period as we finalize negotiations with large publishers for our two upcoming projects, stuff we've been shopping around for a while now. We still make hidden object games, but we've forked over to core gaming a few years back when the hidden object market started to dwindle. Our first big game, Pagan Online, basically flopped in August and I guess the money ran out before our new stuff secured funding...

This is just a shitty situation for us... I can't even disclose what I'm making because, obviously, even my full paycheck wouldn't even cover gas money in the US, but after being frustrated for months over not getting a raise and anticipating switching to a much better and more creative position within the team only to be told the whole thing is on hold the morning it was supposed to happen, I'm finding it really hard to get into a mindset where I don't feel like an idiot and the biggest sucker ever.

I've given six years to the job (veteran age in the gaming industry) and I'm 40 now, with vague gaming development experience and skills in a young people industry, and almost nothing to show for it. The period ahead is uncertain and I'm going to have to make some tough decisions.

Sent from my Mi 9 Lite using Tapatalk

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    ETM, I see reports of this kind of thing going on all the time in the video game industry. It's almost like developers run their business completely separate from every other company on the planet.

Back in 09 I went through a similar situation. I had just been laid off at the beginning of the recession. Ended up finding a job that paid 10% less than what I was making. Took the job. 2 weeks later there was a mandatory 10% pay cut for the entire company just so the company could meet their earnings projections on wallstreet. So that was a rough 6 months for me adjusting to the new salary and then an additional cut.

As a type 1, alpha, planner myself.... uncertainty is the biggest fear of mine and what helps me get through it, is putting everything down on paper with numbers. Then you can clearly see, mathematically where you are and what decisions to make.

I can help you set this kind of thing up if you're interested. I have a template you might find useful.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

That's really nice of you, Duke, but it's okay. We have some money saved up and we'll weather this. We've always been thrifty and bought as much as possible on sales even when we have enough money not to care. I'm not sure if we'll have anything left each month while this lasts, but we'll be okay, as long as things work out with the publishers. I am, however, starting the job hunt anyway, ASAP. Not gonna be a fool anymore. We've already lost three people today, from what I hear in the office.

Well if you change your mind you know where to find me.

You can use my template more as "where we are and what am I spending my money on?" type of tool. Puts things in perspective on subscriptions, utilities, long term loans etc.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I was going to say that there are rumours PS5 might be shown as early as this February.

But in hindsight, hope things work out for you and the wife ETM. If not immediately, then after this tough period.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Sorry to hear that ETM. I didnt know you and your wife were in that industry. Have you said what company? It's cool if you dont want to.

So sorry to hear that, ETM. What a strange way to run an industry.

I'm sure you guys will make it through okay.

Let's just hope it's not Telltale.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    So sorry to hear that, ETM. What a strange way to run an industry.

I'm sure you guys will make it through okay.
    We should be okay. Our main local competitors, who at their biggest had 400 employees (we had 170 at most) laid off over 100 people with no advance notice (Telltale style) a few years ago, and recently they were bought out by a Russian company who makes those generic cutesy mobile games, losing a further chunk of employees. Our owners chose to not fire anyone. We did lose almost ten good people already, anyone who has any other plan isn't gonna wait this out.

There really, really needs to be a game developers union.

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    There really, really needs to be a game developers union.
    Surprised there isn't.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Speaking as a guy who's worked in tech for over 25 years, most of them as a developer, I am not. Programmers have absolutely zero leverage. If they become too expensive, their jobs get shipped overseas.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

We are the "overseas". Only now they're beginning to ship our jobs to even lower paying countries.

I just read an interview with the dude who left Bungie to start V1, and he was talking about crunch time and how brutal it is.

What I don't get, though, is that he said that crunch time was people "spending upwards of 50 hours a week".

I thought it would be much, much more than that.

50 hours is my normal work week.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I just read an interview with the dude who left Bungie to start V1, and he was talking about crunch time and how brutal it is.

What I don't get, though, is that he said that crunch time was people "spending upwards of 50 hours a week".

I thought it would be much, much more than that.

50 hours is my normal work week.
    Yeah 50 hours isnt crazy at all. I remember hearing some programmers work 120 hours a week.

Yeh if they're complaining about 50 hours a week that's weak. Welcome to life.com.

I've never heard of anyone working 120 hours a week. Can't even fathom how it'd work.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I've never heard of anyone working 120 hours a week. Can't even fathom how it'd work.
    Technically, firefighters do it all the time.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I've had people at my company pull those kinds of hours. Rare, but its happened. Routine is pushing 80+.

I worked a couple of 80+ hour weeks at WalMart, and I felt like I would rather die than continue pushing.

120 hours seems impossible. I'm not saying it is, I mean for me.

Plan 8 looks wild.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Videogame programmers to all other industries:

‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Technically, firefighters do it all the time.
    48 on, 96 off, unless you make some type of trade.. And I've been there... And those hours at the fire station aren't exactly daunting.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Got my 4th Platinum trophy last night, with Jedi: Fallen Order!