Page 1256 of 1266 FirstFirst ... 25675611561206124612541255125612571258 ... LastLast
Results 31,376 to 31,400 of 31646

Thread: Video Games...Discuss Them

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Is there a PS5 exclusive out there you're jonesing to play?

I was thinking about this the other day --- we're 6+ mos into a new generation and outside a perf boost on older games, there isn't a compelling reason to buy the new machines*.

Anyway, exactly 2 bits of unsolicited advice from my hard won years of consumer wisdom:

- Never buy consumer electronics second hand, unless you personally know the seller
    - In 6 mos or a year, you'll be able to buy these consoles at retail, or less than that. Will you still feel good about spending the extra money?

* Bear in mind, I'm someone who has more than once thought, "Gee, I bet Skyrim would run really well and look awesome on an XBox Series X"
    This might not be true. Being pretty widely reported that the microchip shortage affecting video game console production (amongst many other things) could stretch to 2023/2024.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Is there a PS5 exclusive out there you're jonesing to play?
    Definitely. Demon's Souls and Returnal are exclusive games I'm very excited to play.

Quote Quoting Irish
    - In 6 mos or a year, you'll be able to buy these consoles at retail, or less than that. Will you still feel good about spending the extra money?
    I think so. As long as I'm being financially responsible elsewhere, I don't have a problem shelling out a little extra from time to time. I almost never get buyer's remorse. I bought a fancy Kuerig last year when my last one busted -- a week later it went on sale, and I didn't care because the coffee I had for that week was worth paying the premium. Having a PS5 around during my upcoming vacation will feel similar.

Quote Quoting Irish
    - Never buy consumer electronics second hand, unless you personally know the seller
    I would like to hear more about this. I've never done it before, but aren't there reputable sellers out there?

I wonder if this will extend the life of the console.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    I think so. As long as I'm being financially responsible elsewhere, I don't have a problem shelling out a little extra from time to time. I almost never get buyer's remorse. I bought a fancy Kuerig last year when my last one busted -- a week later it went on sale, and I didn't care because the coffee I had for that week was worth paying the premium. Having a PS5 around during my upcoming vacation will feel similar.
    I'm probably more risk adverse than you --- but the diff there to me is that you couldn't anticipate the Kuerig sale, while you know for an absolute fact the PS5 price will drop because you're paying over retail.

I would like to hear more about this. I've never done it before, but aren't there reputable sellers out there?
    Problem is you don't know the provenance of the machine. The previous owner could have been a germaphobe who only touched the console while wearing an Intel-style bunny suit, or a junkie with a bad dog who peed on the thing whenever their owner wasn't around.

The resellers don't give a shit. If the device boots, they'll take money for it. It's not as if anyone playtests to make sure the machine doesn't freeze 40 minutes into regular gameplay.

I kinda sorta learned this the hard way with the OG XBox and I never bought electronics second hand again. At least if you buy new, you have some recourse. You buy refurbished from the manufacturer or direct from scalpers, and as soon as the cash changes hands, it's no longer their problem.

TL;DR: Somebody ditched that box for a reason, and that reason usually isn't good.

Yeah I only buy from people I don't know if its super cheap. Otherwise I go to an Exchange store with a policy so I don't get a lemon.

I have heard a lot of PS5 owners having trouble with severe stick drift on the controller. And if it's the controller that came with the console then they would have to send the entire unit in for exchange - which, because of the shortage, would inevitably lead to just getting a refund on the PS5 rather than a new console and controller. They wind up just having to buy a new controller separately. So even those who bought from a retailer under warranty are getting screwed on that.

Not saying you'll definitely have controller problems, but it's a potential hidden cost you'd want to consider.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    I have heard a lot of PS5 owners having trouble with severe stick drift on the controller. And if it's the controller that came with the console then they would have to send the entire unit in for exchange - which, because of the shortage, would inevitably lead to just getting a refund on the PS5 rather than a new console and controller. They wind up just having to buy a new controller separately. So even those who bought from a retailer under warranty are getting screwed on that.
    This doesn't make any sense.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    tbh I read that and didn't blink bc Sony

Yeh but returning a whole system for a controller issue? That's gotta be some kind of hyperbole.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

TL;DR: Somebody ditched that box for a reason, and that reason usually isn't good.
    I don't think this applies to scalpers though. Most if not all of the systems I'm seeing on ebay and stockx are still sealed.

Problem is you don't know the provenance of the machine. The previous owner could have been a germaphobe who only touched the console while wearing an Intel-style bunny suit, or a junkie with a bad dog who peed on the thing whenever their owner wasn't around.
    This reminds me of one New Years Eve, way back when I was new to drinking and didn't know my limit, when I used my xbox 360 elite as a urinal. That thing was a trooper. Sold it for $150 a few years later.

Yeah, will be waiting for them to just be in stock. No rush on games to get one for me either, although I would like a winter sports game to get in on.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I didn't realize drift was an issue on the PS5, too.

I've only heard of it as a massive problem on the Switch, but luckily neither Jen or I have experienced it
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

I was playing Super Mario Kart a few months ago on the switch, and holy shit was my controller drifting to the right. Didn't know that was as widespread a problem as it is. May need to play the game again to see if it's still happening and if so, which controller.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Day two of PS5 hunt. Apparently they became available at Wal-Mart for about 30 seconds yesterday, but I'm pretty sure it was a false positive spurred on by scalpers. Just now a bundle appeared on Gamestop ($750 for the disc system, three games I don't want, and an extra controller), was only available for Pro members, and was sold out in two minutes.

Waiting for Best Buy. That seems my best shot.

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    Day two of PS5 hunt. Apparently they became available at Wal-Mart for about 30 seconds yesterday, but I'm pretty sure it was a false positive spurred on by scalpers. Just now a bundle appeared on Gamestop ($750 for the disc system, three games I don't want, and an extra controller), was only available for Pro members, and was sold out in two minutes.

Waiting for Best Buy. That seems my best shot.
    You may want to do an old school camp out.

I've been playing No Man's Sky - price came down to $30. It's a low-stress exploration/crafting game. It's not bad - not worth $60 though!

Target only offers curbside pickup. Best I can do is refresh the browser, see that it's sold out, and wait another day.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    I've been playing No Man's Sky - price came down to $30. It's a low-stress exploration/crafting game. It's not bad - not worth $60 though!
    I went nuts on that a few months back. Stopped playing when all I did was harvest my green houses and make parts, then more expensive parts, then ridiculously expensive parts and sell those parts. And then debrief my frigates, refuel my frigates, and send them out. That save is sitting on a ridiculous amount of credits.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

- - - - -
    petition to move this thread and maybe tales from the tent to discord bc i am lazy and holy shit is it easy to use

- - - - -
    also it'd be nice to use software that wasn;t designed in 1998, lol

(i'm only a little bit joking, actually)

petition to move this thread and maybe tales from the tent to discord bc i am lazy and holy shit is it easy to use
    Should I let everyone know about MC Discord yet? I seem to be on there talking to myself most of the time.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Should I let everyone know about MC Discord yet? I seem to be on there talking to myself most of the time.
    lol after i posted i thought, "wait doesn't duke have a discord?"

i almost pm'd you to ask.

send me an invite!

First I've heard of it. I'm game