Page 111 of 270 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121161211 ... LastLast
Results 2,751 to 2,775 of 6728

Thread: The Book Discussion Thread

dissolved into molecules lovejuice's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Melville (view post)
    Hey Milky Joe, have you read Foucault's Discipline and Punish?
    i love this book and in fact most of foucault's. "his" panopticon idea is very influential. after reading this book, i notice it's quoted quite a lot in popular culture.
    "Over analysis is like the oil of the Match-Cut machine." KK2.0

Against the Day is good. REAL good. Though it's a bit disheartening to get through a "tough" 350 pages and know you still have over 700 left. Actually, this is one of the more linear, accessible Pynchon narratives I've read. And I guess I've read them all.
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Melville (view post)
    Hey Milky Joe, have you read Foucault's Discipline and Punish? I finished it a few days ago, and given your somewhat paranoid views, I think you might be interested in Foucault's analysis of shifting power structures.
    I have not. I've tended to stay away from theory-stuff like that (the lit theory class I just finished taking was excruciating for me) though I've lately started to become more interested in philosophy, so maybe I'll check it out. Honestly, when you said Foucault and mentioned my paranoid views, I immediately thought you were talking about Umberto Eco, whose Foucault's Pendulum I've often thought of reading.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Quote Quoting Benny Profane (view post)
    Against the Day is good. REAL good.
    That's it. I'm reading this one next.

Finished Snuff, moved on to Company Man.

Snuff in company? Man.

Quote Quoting kuehnepips (view post)
    Snuff in company? Man.
    Pretty much. Need to bathe in bleach after that book.

Sweet!

A new Hap and Leonard book is coming out this month:

Last seen in 2001's Captains Outrageous, Lansdale's East Texas twosome of Hap Collins and Leonard Pine, who specialize in daring jobs for hire, are in fine fettle—slightly older and wiser, still prone to down-home philosophical rants and as eager as ever to lead violence by the nose. In their seventh raucous outing, the unlikely partners—Hap's a white, horny heterosexual good ol' boy, and Leonard's a black homosexual Vietnam vet—rescue a friend's daughter from the clutches of drug dealers. Unbeknownst to our heroes, the dealers are part of the Dixie Mafia, which proceeds to send waves of assassins in retaliation, each worse than the last. Joking as they go, Hap and Leonard dispose of each with their usual brand of brutality. Then, the mafia sends its weapon of last resort, Vanilla Ride, a beautiful hit woman. Edgar-winner Lansdale's storytelling skills are as sharp as ever—bursts of action, moments of reflection and lots of shooting the breeze before trouble comes calling again.
    Love those dudes.

dissolved into molecules lovejuice's Avatar
    halfway through ulysses. yes, i enjoy it, although since i look at the book as a challenge, my feeling is more akin to "hey, this is not so bad. i think i can do it!" than "gosh, i can't put this thing down."

i'm going to be quite proud when i finish it.

so please tell me, pynchon's is not that harder than joyce's. i know, they are. i just hope they're more similar. ulysses doesn't hit my limit just yet.
    "Over analysis is like the oil of the Match-Cut machine." KK2.0

Quote Quoting lovejuice
    so please tell me, pynchon's is not that harder than joyce's. i know, they are. i just hope they're more similar. ulysses doesn't hit my limit just yet.
    it isn't that much harder. though I would skip pynchon and go right for Infinite Jest.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    it isn't that much harder. though I would skip pynchon and go right for Infinite Jest.
    This is a terrible idea.

Read Artifices and The Aleph by Borges. lovejuice suggested in the ISOYFDT that he's postmodern-y. I think that's fairly true. His ideas seem to permeate pretty much all of the postmodern fiction I've read. These were both real good, although I wish he wrote a little more about women. His settings and characters are so diverse, but they're almost all male.

Also read The Quiet American by Graham Greene. It was decent. A very concise and perhaps simplistic examination of colonial tendencies. I say simplistic because Alden Pyle is such a fucking idiot, and pretty one-dimensional. I also tire of the cynical-reporter-protagonist-who-occasionally-says-profound-truths as a character type. It's very common. Not as common as the cynical private eye, but still pretty ubiquitous.
    Wishful thinking, perhaps; but that is just another possible definition of the featherless biped.

Quote Quoting Duncan (view post)
    This is a terrible idea.
    These folks would seem to disagree:
    http://infinitesummer.org/

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Also read The Quiet American by Graham Greene. It was decent. A very concise and perhaps simplistic examination of colonial tendencies. I say simplistic because Alden Pyle is such a fucking idiot, and pretty one-dimensional. I also tire of the cynical-reporter-protagonist-who-occasionally-says-profound-truths as a character type. It's very common. Not as common as the cynical private eye, but still pretty ubiquitous.
    Eh. Pyle is an idiot insofar as he gets caught up in his own ideals and can't see common sense anymore, but that's true of many people. I didn't find his idiocy unrealistic. It's just misguided passion to do what he believes is the right thing.

Also, I think you're judging the novel with 2009 in mind when talking about how tired you are of the cynical journalist with profound moments. I'm not sure how cliche that was when The Quiet American was written, but people latch on to success and imitation is, of course, the sincerest form of flattery. I don't think you can blame Greene for others aping his work (and yes, I'm aware that he wasn't the first to develop a character like Thomas Fowler, but his novel helped push that character type further into cliched territory).

I thought the book was incredible, and still incredibly relevant, which surprised me the most. The entire time I was reading I couldn't help but think that Pyle could, and probably does, exist today, and was somewhere with us in the Middle East these last eight years.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Eh. Pyle is an idiot insofar as he gets caught up in his own ideals and can't see common sense anymore, but that's true of many people. I didn't find his idiocy unrealistic. It's just misguided passion to do what he believes is the right thing.
    I see what you're saying, but I find the "innocence" of his character, as Greene puts it, too all pervasive. He was very much a type to me. Loves his mom, respects his dad, believes in the books he reads. I didn't find much depth in him.

Also, I think you're judging the novel with 2009 in mind when talking about how tired you are of the cynical journalist with profound moments. I'm not sure how cliche that was when The Quiet American was written, but people latch on to success and imitation is, of course, the sincerest form of flattery. I don't think you can blame Greene for others aping his work (and yes, I'm aware that he wasn't the first to develop a character like Thomas Fowler, but his novel helped push that character type further into cliched territory).
    I don't think that's much of an excuse. The problem is, again, that the character feels less like a human than a literary type. There's not much for me to distinguish him from others like him. I've read a lot of old books that don't feel cliched at all.

I thought the book was incredible, and still incredibly relevant, which surprised me the most. The entire time I was reading I couldn't help but think that Pyle could, and probably does, exist today, and was somewhere with us in the Middle East these last eight years.
    Agree that it's still very relevant. I was actually thinking of Michael Ignatieff (who is the leader of the Canadian Liberal Party) while reading it. Very smart guy who, while running some committee or something at Harvard, came out in support of the Iraq War because of some of the exact same reasons Pyle did.
    Wishful thinking, perhaps; but that is just another possible definition of the featherless biped.

I'm started a book called The Ambient Century: From Mahler to Trance - The Evolution of Sound in the Electronic Age. It sounds fascinating.

Philip Roth was was taking Nixon down a peg before Watergate; before Agnew resigned; in short, before taking Nixon down a peg was cool. Our Gang is short, bitter, bizarre, and oh-so-funny.

Also taking my time with books of essays by Alfred Kazin, Gary Indiana, and Gore Vidal.
    Twitter

Next Projection Top 10s (update - Top 10 Action Sequences 1/29)
    Yearly Top 11s

I see what you're saying, but I find the "innocence" of his character, as Greene puts it, too all pervasive. He was very much a type to me. Loves his mom, respects his dad, believes in the books he reads. I didn't find much depth in him.

I don't think that's much of an excuse. The problem is, again, that the character feels less like a human than a literary type. There's not much for me to distinguish him from others like him. I've read a lot of old books that don't feel cliched at all.
    If depth is the problem, I think that was intentional. Our perspective is purely that of Fowler, who doesn't like Pyle, and shows us only what he sees in him. I think he makes him more buffoonish as a way of knocking him down, out of jealousy and spite. I don't think Pyle was really that shallow, as some of his devious behavior suggested in the second half. Fowler just didn't want to give him any more credit than necessary.

Quote Quoting Eleven (view post)
    Philip Roth was was taking Nixon down a peg before Watergate; before Agnew resigned; in short, before taking Nixon down a peg was cool. Our Gang is short, bitter, bizarre, and oh-so-funny.
    I've been thinking of reading some Roth lately. Have you read other books by him? If so, how does it compare?

Anyone else read anything by him?

Also, Don DeLillo. I keep seeing his name places, but whenever I read a quote by him it doesn't seem that interesting.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    If depth is the problem, I think that was intentional. Our perspective is purely that of Fowler, who doesn't like Pyle, and shows us only what he sees in him. I think he makes him more buffoonish as a way of knocking him down, out of jealousy and spite. I don't think Pyle was really that shallow, as some of his devious behavior suggested in the second half. Fowler just didn't want to give him any more credit than necessary.
    But what I'm saying is that they're both kind of shallow characters.

But what I'm saying is that they're both kind of shallow characters.
    Ah. Well, in that case I guess we just disagree. I thought Fowler was well fleshed out.

I've been thinking of reading some Roth lately. Have you read other books by him? If so, how does it compare?

Anyone else read anything by him?

Also, Don DeLillo. I keep seeing his name places, but whenever I read a quote by him it doesn't seem that interesting.
    I like American Pastoral (which I know either KFan or Raiders loathes), Portnoy's Complaint, and The Plot Against America. Other good ones range from witty adolescent realism (Goodbye, Columbus and Indignation to quite interesting meldings of fact and fiction (Operation Shylock and Zuckerman Unbound). I'd start with Portnoy, it's fairly representative, well-regarded, and funny.

As for DeLillo, the conventional starting point is White Noise, which I love, but Libra and Mao II are just as good. Underworld is best to be tackled later.
    Twitter

Yearly Top 11s

I wasn't very high on White Noise at all.

As for Roth, I have only read The Plot Against America, which seemed like a pretty pointless exercise.
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

Quote Quoting Eleven (view post)
    I like American Pastoral (which I know either KFan or Raiders loathes), Portnoy's Complaint, and The Plot Against America. Other good ones range from witty adolescent realism (Goodbye, Columbus and Indignation to quite interesting meldings of fact and fiction (Operation Shylock and Zuckerman Unbound). I'd start with Portnoy, it's fairly representative, well-regarded, and funny.

As for DeLillo, the conventional starting point is White Noise, which I love, but Libra and Mao II are just as good. Underworld is best to be tackled later.
    It's I that hates American Pastoral. It's not insultingly bad, it's just totally pointless. I guess I don't hate it so much as hate that it's so widely praised. It's the only Roth I've read. I've also read White Noise by Delillo, which was solid, but also kind of forgettable. I don't really remember much about it at all.

Me - 1
    Roth writes pointless novels - 2
    Twitter

Yearly Top 11s

Quote Quoting lovejuice (view post)
    halfway through ulysses. yes, i enjoy it, although since i look at the book as a challenge, my feeling is more akin to "hey, this is not so bad. i think i can do it!" than "gosh, i can't put this thing down."

i'm going to be quite proud when i finish it.

Approaching it as a challenge doesn't seem like a good way to go. Just enjoy the characters, humor, dazzling wordplay and variations in style, and scope of it all. It kind of reminds me of Citizen Kane: it's a very fun, lively book, but people sometimes seem to let its reputation get in the way of that.

Though some of its chapters are admittedly really tough to unravel. I never did finish Gravity's Rainbow—I inexplicably lost interest right after finishing the first section and figured I should wait til I regained interest to read the rest—but from what I've read, it's never as tough as the most impenetrable sections of Ulysses. However, Ulysses is probably easier to read overall, because its frequent changes in style prevent it from ever feeling monotonous (to me, at least).

I'd skip DeLillo. I've only read White Noise, but it didn't inspire me to read anything else by him: while its portrayal of self-aware postmodernity is occasionally amusing, I didn't think it was all that interesting. Though you seem to be reading books at a lovejuician rate, so I guess you may as well give it a shot, given its reputation.
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews