Page 11 of 270 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: The Book Discussion Thread

Quote Quoting Melville (view post)
    From Moby Dick, mostly sticking with at least partially humorous quotations:
    I made a t-shirt with the quote "Better to sleep with a sober cannibal than a drunken Christian" on the front.

It partially redeemed the time I spent reading that book.
    Memories of the Future

"Criticism can be monumentally creative, of course, at times highly artistic, highly personal. But it rarely relates to the work of art being assessed. It is an expression of the critic's own subjectivity." -Joyce Carol Oates, Journals

ATTENTION K-MART SHOPPERS

If you've ever been bored at work and wished you could be at home reading a book instead, I found the next best thing.

http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/

They have a pretty extensive collection of books online that you can read 'cover to cover' all the while pretending that you're focusing hard on your computer.

You're welcome.

Quote Quoting Benny Profane (view post)
    Thank you. I bookmarked it even though I no longer read books online due to raging headaches.

I started reading Atonement last night (even though I was supposed to finish the Chronicles of Narnia before beginning this one) and I really like it so far, but I'm almost dreading the end.
    My Mom - 10

Oh, did I forget to mention it is free?

Quote Quoting jenniferofthejungle (view post)
    Thank you. I bookmarked it even though I no longer read books online due to raging headaches.
    No longer? I didn't realize this was even an option until 15 minutes ago.

Yes, I see this being best used for short stories and novellas, and not, say, Anna Karenina (which is available, btw).

Anyone read The Time Traveler's Wife?

Quote Quoting Marley (view post)
    Anyone read The Time Traveler's Wife?

Yes, I read it about 6 weeks ago...wrote about it on the old forum.

I loved it. Very romantic.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

I'm now more than half way through "A Confederacy of Dunces". I am finding that I will sit down to read a chapter, and end up reading 50-80 pages.

It's great.

Ignatious just got the job as a hotdog vendor. It was hilarious when he did his first hour-long run, didn't sell any hotdogs but ate 4 of them, and tried to convince the guy he had been robbed at gunpoint.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Yes, I read it about 6 weeks ago...wrote about it on the old forum.

I loved it. Very romantic.
    Nice. I'm reading it right now and can't seem to put it down.

I'm now more than half way through "A Confederacy of Dunces". I am finding that I will sit down to read a chapter, and end up reading 50-80 pages.

It's great.

Ignatious just got the job as a hotdog vendor. It was hilarious when he did his first hour-long run, didn't sell any hotdogs but ate 4 of them, and tried to convince the guy he had been robbed at gunpoint.
    What a great book and that particular scene was the funniest part of the book for me. Just the idea of this man dressed up in a pirate suit pushing around a hot-dog stand is hysterical. While many would argue that the book is pure comedic gold I found the majority of it to be rather depressing.

I can see how it could be seen as depressing, but I am finding it to generally just be a type of humor I really appreciate.

I want to be able to liken it to a film or something, but there's absolutely nothing out there - that I can think of - which I could compare it to. It's like Wes Anderson meets Monty Python meets the Coens meets I don't know what else.

And I'm glad you're enjoying "The Time Traveller's Wife" - it's the book that's single-handedly repsonsible for getting me back into reading mode this fall.

I can see how it could be seen as depressing, but I am finding it to generally just be a type of humor I really appreciate.

I want to be able to liken it to a film or something, but there's absolutely nothing out there - that I can think of - which I could compare it to. It's like Wes Anderson meets Monty Python meets the Coens meets I don't know what else.

And I'm glad you're enjoying "The Time Traveller's Wife" - it's the book that's single-handedly repsonsible for getting me back into reading mode this fall.
    Yes, I suppose my serious lack of humor prevented me from fully appreciating the comedic aspects of the novel. Igantius is a character that I could relate to on a very personal level sans the high level intellectualism with the social awkwardness, the immaturity, the loneliness, the struggle to achieve something notable, failed relationships, etc.

Confederacy of Dunces seems to be an esoteric piece of literature but your comparisons seems apt and I'd be willing to go along with that.

I was weary at first by the length of "The Time Traveler's Wife" only to quickly find that it was completely absorbing from the first opening pages. The concept may not be particular oringal but the author infuses such an enrapturous love story within this scientific/philosophical anomaly making it completely fascinating throughout.

Quote Quoting Marley (view post)
    I was weary at first by the length of "The Time Traveler's Wife" only to quickly find that it was completely absorbing from the first opening pages. The concept may not be particular oringal but the author infuses such an enrapturous love story within this scientific/philosophical anomaly making it completely fascinating throughout.

I also think there's something to be said for her ability to make the book so easy to read and understand.

With all the jumping around in time, it could easily have become a hugely confusing mess.

But it all flows so easily.

And yes, I was a little worried about the length as well, but I read it in a flash.

Quote Quoting jesse (view post)
    I made a t-shirt with the quote "Better to sleep with a sober cannibal than a drunken Christian" on the front.

:|
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

dissolved into molecules lovejuice's Avatar
    Quote Quoting jesse (view post)

my favorite quote t-shirt is bertrand russell's "the problem with this world is that the stupid is cocksure, and the intelligent is full of doubt."

dissolved into molecules lovejuice's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Melville (view post)
    After Life (Koreeda)
    totally off topic but since i haven't seen you in the FDT. you're perhaps the first person on this forum that doesn't like this movie. me neither actually.

did you see nobody knows. i sort of have to watch it because it's this girl's favorite film.

I'm not a supporter of After Life at all either. With such an interesting concept I was appalled by how boring it was. Probably not the most valid criticism but there was a certain lack of audacity and the plot sludged along. Meh.

I also think there's something to be said for her ability to make the book so easy to read and understand.

With all the jumping around in time, it could easily have become a hugely confusing mess.

But it all flows so easily.

And yes, I was a little worried about the length as well, but I read it in a flash.
    That's a great point especially the number of plot holes which could have occurred which she does a great job of taking care of. I'll admit that some of his time traveling was a bit jarring at first and it was difficult to wrap my head around his particular instances of his journey especially when he encountered other versions of himself. After a while it began to make more sense.

The Sea, The Sea is exceptional so far.

I read Dreamtigers at Barnes & Noble, per Cello's request, but it needed much more time to properly digest (and I feel unequipped to fully comprehend but very little of it.)

An excerpt from Gravity's Rainbow:

Kekulé dreams the Great Serpent holding its own tail in its mouth, the dreaming Serpent which surrounds the World. But the meanness, the cynicism with which this dream is to be used. The Serpent that announces, "The World is a closed thing, cyclical, resonant, eternally-returning," is to be delivered into a system whose only aim is to violate the Cycle. Taking and not giving back, demanding that "productivity" and "earnings" keep on increasing with time, the System removing from the rest of the World these vast quantities of energy to keep its own tiny desperate fraction showing a profit: and not only most of humanity -- most of the World, animal, vegetable, and mineral, is laid waste in the process. The System may or may not understand that it's only buying time. And that time is an artificial resource to begin with, of no value to anyone or anything but the System, which must sooner or later crash to its death, when its addiction to energy has become more than the rest of the World can supply, dragging with it innocent souls all along the chain of life.

Any Brodsky fans around?

I'm reading some of his essays, which are proving to be most enlightening.

I'm going to finish reading "The Time Traveler's Wife" tonight and need to decide on what to read next. Any suggestions?

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Lolita.

The Demolished Man - Alfred Bester

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Lolita.
    I've had this one scene stuck in my head for sooooooooo long and can't exorcise it cos I lent a friend my copy.

*shakes fist at self*

Page 11 of 270 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast