0 0%

Thread: Tracks

Tracks

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Glad I checked this sub-forum even though I'd now assume this is much more of a 2014 release.

Liked this quite a bit. Went against my usual preference by watching this over a few sittings over a couple of weeks, but I think its long-term travelogue slant almost ended up being conducive to my circumstances with it, leaving it with certain strong emotional milestones and having them settle in my mind the days between returning to it. When it's all said and done, the impression it leaves it a bit slighter than it should, but the 100 minutes before that point are endlessly arresting purely with its incredibly crafted sense of scale and detail, with Wasikowska's elevating presence pulling you through the gorgeously engaging journey.

But overall, just a lovely, old-fashioned and remarkably assured piece of filmmaking. Doesn't paint outside the lines in any significant ways, but it still finds enough really potent moments (both harrowing and beautiful, with even some humour in between) to feel unique beyond just its story's factual (or not) bullet points. Hypothetically subtract the lead performance, lower the standard of the cinematography and swap in a less interesting score and maybe this is nothing at all, but with them present in full force, it's a very worthwhile watch.

***½ / 8.0
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)