View Poll Results: Yay or Nay

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

35 85.37%
  • Nay

6 14.63%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Under the Skin (Jonathan Glazer)

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    I'm kind of at a loss with people who think this is too outre. The narrative thread is really straight forward. The Man Who Fell to Earth is more confusing to me.
    Yeah, I think the gist of the "story" is pretty easily penetrable. I think the lack of conventional dramatic tension and dialogue probably causes people to disengage for chunks at a time, but that doesn't mean its opaque. It's just more challenging/taxing to engage.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I got serious "The Brother From Another Planet" vibes, as that film was also more a combination of images and moments, a travelogue with a bit of story. I'd like to watch the two back to back sometime.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    I got serious "The Brother From Another Planet" vibes, as that film was also more a combination of images and moments, a travelogue with a bit of story. I'd like to watch the two back to back sometime.
    That's a good comparison that hasn't been brought up much. Probably because John Sayles isn't nearly as interested in being a hardcore stylist like Roeg & Glazer.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

I saw this a while back when Match Cut was in transition. Fucking loved it. It was everything I wanted it to be. Best movie of the year, and no Oscar noms. A damn shame.

Wow, has anyone else read the book? Completely different. Glazer really made it his own.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Scarlett is on Howard Stern this morning discussing this movie, and I had no idea the people she picks up off the street- most of them were non-actors and they filmed those scenes with hidden cameras.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Mild yay - first half is significantly better than the second half, where it becomes a standard "rebelling against your role" thing layered in arty catnip (mostly good arty catnip, but still...). The problem is, I never really bought the idea that the alien suddenly gains a conscience (for a lack of a better word) because she meets the deformed man and "feels" sorry for him (or at the very least recognizes him as different from everyone else). The first half does a great job of making the alien blank and programmed, with simple commands to follow (will they be missed immediately? Will I be seen?). Suddenly she is able to sympathize with the plight of an individual that suffers within a uniquely human context (looks vs. companionship vs. self-worth vs. loneliness). It plays a little like a little boy burning an ant hill and then choosing to save one particular ant because other ants find it ugly.... it ends up feeling hugely contrived when compared to the unsettling atmosphere that came before it.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Scarlett is on Howard Stern this morning discussing this movie, and I had no idea the people she picks up off the street- most of them were non-actors and they filmed those scenes with hidden cameras.
    I need to rewatch this, but I still don't believe that fully. If anything, I'll believe that there wasn't a script, but the non-actors knew what they were getting into.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Wasn't just the van scenes. The scenes of her walking around in the streets were filmed candidly too. When she fell and people came over to help her, those people didn't know they were filmed either.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I remember reading about that when the film came out.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234