Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Travolta's son is autistic, but no, it's just those dam thetan levels

Travolta's son is autistic, but no, it's just those dam thetan levels

Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

“What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    That is horrible. Autism cannot be ignored.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Jesus Christ. To ignore years upon years of medical research in favor of the quackery of a failed science fiction writer is just insanity.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Jesus Christ. To ignore years upon years of medical research in favor of the quackery of a failed science fiction writer is just insanity.

You're forgetting that Hubbard now lives on a throne on Mars.

How could we not blindly follow his teachings? Mars rocks! It's all like...red...and stuff.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    Choice L. Ron Hubbard quotes:

"l'd like to start a religion. That's where the money is."

"Make money. Make more money. Make other people produce so as to make more money."

"The only way you can control people is to lie to them. You can write that down in your book in great big letters. The only way you can control anybody is to lie to them."

"There is no more ethical group on this planet than ourselves."
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

What about his midichlorian levels!?
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Nigel Tufnel: Well, so what? What's wrong with being artistic?
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting Rowland (view post)
    Choice L. Ron Hubbard quotes:

"l'd like to start a religion. That's where the money is."
    "Y'know, we're all wasting our time writing this hack science fiction! You wanta make real money, you gotta start a religion!"

Or something like that...

He was with Theodore Sturgeon and Robert Heinlein when he said this (all three of them were living together) and Strugeon relayed this quote to others.

There is a good 5 part documentary on Google Video about Hubbard called, The Secret Life of L. Ron Hubbard:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=1

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Nigel Tufnel: Well, so what? What's wrong with being artistic?
    It wins people Oscars for their impressions for Pete's sake!

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Best Boy
    it seems like that article was written just to belittle scientology though. i couldn't care less about scientology but when i see people trying to pick apart one quack religion when their own is just as nonsensical it's seems a tad hypocritical.

Quote Quoting Mr. Valentine (view post)
    it seems like that article was written just to belittle scientology though. i couldn't care less about scientology but when i see people trying to pick apart one quack religion when their own is just as nonsensical it's seems a tad hypocritical.
    But when one quack religion requires - in order to receive "salvation" - that it's members pay very large sums of money (and without said payment its members cannot obtain the necessary training materials to progress into "enlightenment"), and then physically and mentally abuses and blackmails those who wish to leave said religion through leagues of powerful lawyers, then I think it sets itself up to be picked apart and belittled.

Best Boy
    well when one religion publically denies knowledge of years of child molestation by it's "teachers" even when it is proven that they did know about it and spent millions covering it up it deserves to be picked apart also. but whenever it is brought up people start getting very defensive.

my point is that it seems like scientology is the new cool religion to bash while people pretend that their own isn't filled with just as many hypocrisises.

well when one religion publically denies knowledge of years of child molestation by it's "teachers" even when it is proven that they did know about it and spent millions covering it up it deserves to be picked apart also. but whenever it is brought up people start getting very defensive.
    Hopefully these people will be brought to justice for their gross and disgusting misconduct.

And thank God we can pick apart the Christian and Catholic religion without the fear of packs of bloodthirsty lawyers declaring us SPs and doing everything in their power to destroy our lives for speaking out against them!

Director
    Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    And thank God we can pick apart the Christian and Catholic religion without the fear of packs of bloodthirsty lawyers declaring us SPs and doing everything in their power to destroy our lives for speaking out against them!
    Exactly. All religions are open for criticism for shady actions in their past but they'll always be able to say that their doctrine isn't copyrighted and withheld from people who aren't willing to pay to see them.

That's when it crossed the line from mostly harmless life philosophy to predatory money making operation.

And not to defend the Catholic faith or nothing, cuz it neither needs nor deserves my help, but the whole problem with the pederast priests is a failure of the clergy NOT FOLLOWING the tenets of its own religion (the whole do unto others as you would have them do to you), whereas Travoltron, as far as I know, is failing his child because he IS FOLLOWING the tenets of his religion.

I agree with your point, but I just wanna make sure we're comparing apples to apples here.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

No religion is perfect, and I doubt that even the most devout Catholics can say "I agree and live up to every single thing written in the Bible".

But I don't think it's a far stretch to say that Scientology is a little harder to take seriously and a little easier to pick apart.

And not to defend the Catholic faith or nothing, cuz it neither needs nor deserves my help, but the whole problem with the pederast priests is a failure of the clergy NOT FOLLOWING the tenets of its own religion (the whole do unto others as you would have them do to you), whereas Travoltron, as far as I know, is failing his child because he IS FOLLOWING the tenets of his religion.

I agree with your point, but I just wanna make sure we're comparing apples to apples here.
    What i was gonna say.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Catholics are to religion, what MLB is to Sports. Don't worry about it, it'll just go away.

And I'm one of them.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Well-spotted and said. I'm a born again Catholic (meaning I was raised in it but have since fled to a spiritual Canada).
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Best Boy

but it is part of the Catholic faith, priests are meant to live celibate lifestyles which goes against their human instincts which leads to things occuring like the child molestation scandals.

but it is part of the Catholic faith, priests are meant to live celibate lifestyles which goes against their human instincts which leads to things occuring like the child molestation scandals.

I would argue it takes more than a human's natural instincts for wanting sex, to resort to child molestation.

Best Boy
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    No religion is perfect, and I doubt that even the most devout Catholics can say "I agree and live up to every single thing written in the Bible".

But I don't think it's a far stretch to say that Scientology is a little harder to take seriously and a little easier to pick apart.
    i find a religion which believes in aliens far easier to take seriously than a religion which believes in zombies.

Best Boy
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I would argue it takes more than a human's natural instincts for wanting sex, to resort to child molestation.

obviously, but it does lead to those type of things happening especially when you have them in close contact with someone who considers them a father/authority figure and a figurehead for their religion who they don't want to disappoint or question.

i find a religion which believes in aliens far easier to take seriously than a religion which believes in zombies.

But that's an incredibly thin argument using only small pieces from the religions to back up your point.

If that's all we are talking about, then yes, I would agree that the idea of aliens having come to Earth millions of years ago is much easier to swallow than the idea that 2000 years ago a man was brutally murdered then resurrected three days later.

But the fundamental beliefs and teachings of these two religions are much more than that.

Christianity (and Judaism, Islam, etc.) teach at their basest levels that we should all love one another unconditionally. That forgiveness is never out of reach. That one does not have to worry about death being "the end", but it is rather the beginning of our existence in Heaven, and that anyone can be forgiven or reformed and earn their way to this higher existence.

But Scientology asks people to pay large sums of money in order to "earn" happiness and spiritual oneness. It says that people should completely ignore the years and years and billions of dollars of medical research that has gone into helping people with serious diseases/conditions, in favor of vitamins and - again - monetary donations.

It's actually frighteningly medieval.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast