Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Cut's Top 10/Bottom 5 of 2012 Revealed!

Ted is definitely one of the worst films I saw last year. Haven't seen the others.
    Follow me on Twitter

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    So what's number 1? Silent Hill?
    Hunger Games!
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Chronicle is leagues better then the film that is MC's favorite of 2012.

Edit: Maybe not! I was thinking Life of Pi was the #1.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

THE WORST MOVIE OF THE YEAR

Quote Quoting watashi
    This whole movie was pointless. What an awful final scene.
    Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan
    This was a bloated, corny, convoluted mess.
    Quote Quoting Zac Efron
    It's beautiful but its a fucking mess. Ridley Scott, news at 11.
    Quote Quoting megladon8
    ENGINEER SMASH!!! SMASH SMASH SMAAAASSSH!!!!

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

AND NOW THE TOP TEN

#10 - Life of Pi

MATCH - Ang Lee filmed this with the intention of using the 3D. He does a masterful job with it. He joins the ranks James Cameron and Martin Scorsese as great users of it. Funny how these three don't really throw it in your face, but instead use it for the environment. Most will comment on the flying fish scene, but I found it most useful for the conflict between Pi and Richard. The use of distance shows that 3D can be used in a subtle way here. Ezee E

CUT - I wanted to like this I really did but besides it being pretty it's too full of spiritual gobbleygook for me to embrace it. eyeswideopen

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    Hunger Games!
    Definitely disliked this film more than the four I've seen from the worst list.

Love Chronicle.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    hey I got quoted, cool. Cosmopolis definitely sucked.

wow, Prometheus at #1? that's kind of shocking.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I hate MC consensus lists so much. So god damn pretentious. But then again, I love lists so.... I'm fucked.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Oh and please posts quotes with the top 10 lists too. It's fun reading those.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    So god damn pretentious.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Old reliable Duke. Always here to make a brainless, anti-intellectual remark.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

[coughs]Looks at duke's comment, looks at B-Side's response, looks at B-Side's take on Cosmopolis haters.[/cough]

Interesting result on Prometheus. I didn't hate it so much as mourned how wonderfully evocative and powerful the trailer was compared to the actual full film. And the engagement with spirituality there, though it only remains a surface concern, did ring with me. The biggest fault of the film is that the script manipulates characters no matter their predisposition toward an issue--that's unarguable.

And I'm surprised that Life of Pi made the best of list. Lee directs the hell out of it, and I imagine people respect that. It's one that I doubt people will remember years from now, but it's good.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Heh, B-Side has been on my ignore list for months. If he attacked me, fine. I was at least attacking an inanimate object MC LIST and not someone on a personal level. Plus it should have been taken half heartedly based on the second half of my post.

Heh, B-Side has been on my ignore list for months. If he attacked me, fine. I was at least attacking an inanimate object MC LIST and not someone on a personal level. Plus it should have been taken half heartedly based on the second half of my post.
    I take no issue with disliking the list so far, but man I hate the "p word." Never used in the right context. I don't think disliking Cronenberg's film, for instance, is very pretentious of us. I would also say that as far as Scott's film goes, it has a much stronger case for being pretentious as opposed to us calling it crap.

But anyway, I look forward to the top ten which are sure to be the best films of the year, as long as there isn't any juvenile comedy or action shit. Hate that crap.
    Recently Viewed:
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½

Films By Year

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    [coughs]Looks at duke's comment, looks at B-Side's response, looks at B-Side's take on Cosmopolis haters.[/cough]
    Oh, please, do explain to me how pointing out that passive film-viewing is something no one is immune to is pretentious of me. I'd be interested to hear it. And maybe if someone came up with a more compelling reason to hate it than "it was boring", I might be more inclined to take them seriously.
    Last 5 Viewed

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

Quote Quoting B-side (view post)
    Oh, please, do explain to me how pointing out that passive film-viewing is something no one is immune to is pretentious of me. I'd be interested to hear it. And maybe if someone came up with a more compelling reason to hate it than "it was boring", I might be more inclined to take them seriously.
    "That film must have really flown over the heads of a lot of individuals"

Anytime your defense of a film is basically "I got it and you didn't," you have already lost. I agree in spirit that I think a lot of people hate on the film for things that make it so fascinating to me, but I am sure the opposite is true of me on other films. It's why we are unique and special. We are the World.
    Recently Viewed:
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    "That film must have really flown over the heads of a lot of individuals"
    I only "got it" in the sense that I was able to enjoy and appreciate it. Saying it went over someone's head doesn't necessarily imply a lack of intelligence. It mostly implies a lack of ability to gel with its world and ideas. When I read remarks about how bad the acting is or some such silliness, I can't help but feel like people are kind of missing the point. The acting is so deliberately mannered that traditional ideals of acting are irrelevant. I don't think it's a very condescending thing to say that many people really expected something different and were upset when it didn't deliver. This isn't The Fly or Naked Lunch. Hell, it's not even A Dangerous Method. That film had a much firmer basis in reality and standard dramatic acting than this did.
    Last 5 Viewed

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    I take no issue with disliking the list so far, but man I hate the "p word." Never used in the right context. I don't think disliking Cronenberg's film, for instance, is very pretentious of us. I would also say that as far as Scott's film goes, it has a much stronger case for being pretentious as opposed to us calling it crap.

But anyway, I look forward to the top ten which are sure to be the best films of the year, as long as there isn't any juvenile comedy or action shit. Hate that crap.
    Haha that's the first time I've seen someone refer to it as the "P word". And I do think I used it correctly. It's all the history of MC posting and MC condemning big time hollywood movies and prime time directors as THE WORST. And lifting smaller independent movies into the spotlight maybe more deserving.

I'm totally fine with hating a movie for being bloated or corny or a mess...

#9 - Oslo, August 31

MATCH - This is a brilliant portrayal of character. Layers of his past, present, and future are unveiled simultaneously not through flashbacks or cuts through time, but the events of a day. It's an unfortunate case of a man simply unable to close a chapter in his life because he incidentally exposes himself to a past that changed without him. Finally, a 2012 release I can really stand behind. LUCKY

CUT - NONE.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

#8 - Cabin in the Woods

MATCH - This movie was fucking beautiful. This was just so supremely satisfying. A send-up, love letter, and sharp critique of the genre, riffing on every possible cliche while showing the insane imagination of its history. I was smiling incessantly for the last twenty-odd minutes, to the point where my mouth hurt. Dead & Messed Up

CUT - This was too clever by at least half. Maybe even a full stop. I grew tired of the riffing, the winking, and the spoon fed self-congratulating. This is one of those movies where all you can see is the ink on the page. It fails to engage on any other level. DavidSeven

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

#7 - Zero Dark Thirty

MATCH - I've now seen this twice within the last few days and it really is such an expertly crafted, tightly-wound piece of storytelling that I almost can't imagine any other (better) way of this subject matter being made into a film. Despite employing much of the same stylistic aesthetic as The Hurt Locker, this is a very different, much less character-based, emotionally-motivated narrative, and yet it manages to be every bit as engrossing in its storytelling because of how specific its details of even its most well-known events that reverberated throughout the world as they unfolded in the past find ways of relating to a grander landscape of this story. HENRY GALE

CUT - I generally don't like to politicize works of art but in this case the topic is so sensitive and the manner in which it is broached is so irresponsible that I can't merely appreciate the craft and disregard the content. Zero Dark Thirty is woefully unbalanced, untruthful and apolitical and it's impossible for me to ignore this no matter how expertly crafted it may be. ROBBY P

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

lol @ TAMPAX

What in the holy hell does pretension have to do with condemning Hollywood films? Jesus.
    Last 5 Viewed

Haha that's the first time I've seen someone refer to it as the "P word". And I do think I used it correctly. It's all the history of MC posting and MC condemning big time hollywood movies and prime time directors as THE WORST. And lifting smaller independent movies into the spotlight maybe more deserving.

I'm totally fine with hating a movie for being bloated or corny or a mess...
    Well, some Big Time Hollywood Movies and Prime Time Directors aren't very good (and some really are the worst), but that doesn't mean MC thinks all of them are. Anyways, does it make me pretentious if I tend to like independent movies more than I like Hollywood movies?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast