Thread: My Top Ten Albums of 2007

A Long Way to Tipperary MacGuffin's Avatar

My Top Ten Albums of 2007

I decided to go ahead and do this.

10. Burial, Untrue

Genre: Dubstep

I recall reading in an interview that the anonymous dubstep artist from the UK describes this as the sort of music you'd probably want to listen to while walking home late at night from somewhere. With that said, I probably have yet to fully experienced this recording, but I do feel obligated enough to put it on here for it's dreamy, distant renditions, and the fact that, while I may not of experienced it the way the artist intended it to be experienced, I still feel like I have grasped onto what it is trying to do. There's two narrators throughout Untrue: the one heard in the opening intro, and the one that the viewer creates through the artist's unique and nostalgic dark soundscapes. The last one, if I may, being the "untrue" narrator. I don't think there's really any wrong way to listen to this recording, and while it doesn't seem to innovate the electronic genre as some critics have noted it to, it's refreshing to see this anonymous artist create some simply brilliant moody tracks like "Archangel", and at the same time, remind us that music is a very subjective art form, and can be interpreted in many ways. Your way of listening may be untrue to some, but that's what makes the whole experience all the more personal.

Key Tracks: Archangel, Etched Headplate, Shell of Light

I guess I should listen to this Burial record, huh?

just added Burial to my last.fm and got Thesis, which i liked a lot too.

oh, thanks for the recommendation, keep'em coming.

9. A Sunny Day in Glasgow, Scribble Mural Comic Journal

Genre: Shoegaze

What A Sunny Day in Glasgow do with this quietly beautiful album is bold and rare. There was simply no real emotional connection between me and the music here (except for maybe 5:15 Train, which may as well be their Strange Lights), but technically speaking, this is a fine accomplishment indeed. Each song seems delicately composed and tailored to the vocalist, but at the same time everything blends together to create a feeling of intensity. What's worth noting is how the album is always diverse in it's form, but it follows a very linear structure. No song sounds the same, but they all follow the general "shoegaze" short of theme, where it sounds like the music may as well have just been played on one giant instrument that strings together an array of electronically inspired drums, dreamy guitars, and high pitched vocals. Definitely not perfect by any means, I chose this over a similar and inspiring, enjoyable, yet horrendously structured Cryptograms by Deerhunter, simply because it's so energetic. Deerhunter may be able to explore the many ways shoegaze can be performed ("ambient punk" as their lead singer calls it), but what A Sunny Day in Glasgow has here is thirteen indispensable (even if they aren't exactly innovative or emotionally attachable) tracks where they show off their music's quiet beauty through shoegaze's most original form and structure.

Key Tracks: Wake Up Pretty, No. 6 Von Karman Street, 5:15 Train

Good album.

8. Jonny Greenwood, There Will Be Blood

Genre: Soundtrack

I've always thought Radiohead would be better if they were an instrumental band. Something about Thom Yorke's whiney voice always got to me. While perhaps this doesn't sound like Radiohead without Thom (okay, it doesn't at all), it still says what a musician can do when he explores territory his band might not explore otherwise. The soundtrack to one of this year's greats is a gliding, intensely atmospheric accompaniment to a gliding, intensely atmospheric motion picture. It's a collection of subtle, yet distinctive compositions that fit the haunting tone of the movie. Being no expert on movie scores, no real insight is going to be added, however it is worth saying that like all great movie scores and soundtracks, when you listen, you are instantly reminded of imagery from the movie. This particular album evokes the image of a greedy man sitting in front of an audience ready to make a proposition.

Key Tracks: Future Markets, Henry Plainview, Proven Lands

Two great picks/write ups in a row. Obviously, I love the Sunny Day in Glasgow album and I'm sure Greenwood's would've been somewhere on my list if I'd heard it before January.

7. Battles, Mirrored

Genre: Technical Progressive

2007 will be, for me, the year that acclaimed albums were hard to get into. Between this, Deerhunter's Cryptograms, and the After Dark compilation, I've been really busy trying. This, however, must have taken at least a month before I began to appreciate what it was trying to do. It's not a graceful album, but it is clearly well crafted. A sense of musicianship and talent is abundant, and while I can't claim to enjoy all of the tracks equally, the ones I enjoy (I could probably count just about on one hand) are among the best of the year. Basically, I'm putting this on here because I'm proud of myself for taking the time to get into it, and I want to recognize that. But also because this band is going somewhere.

Key Tracks: Atlas, Ddiamondd, Leyendecker

Banned
    Please keep going!!!

Quote Quoting TheMostGorgeousSituation (view post)
    Please keep going!!!
    Hmm, not right now because I lost the list. I might later though, perhaps.

I actually found "Mirrors" fizzled out after the first couple of tracks.

And what exactly is "dubstep"? I've never read that term before.

And props for the "There Will Be Blood" soundtrack! Very eerie, atmospheric stuff.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    And what exactly is "dubstep"? I've never read that term before.
    Just a term coined to refer to sub-genre of dark, atmospheric and often plodding/slow-paced techno. I'm pretty sure it originated from Great Britain, but it's spread like wildfire over the past couple years. Burial is essentially the newly touted messiah of it.

Well I'm really enjoying the Burial album - thanks for sharing it!

Well I'm really enjoying the Burial album - thanks for sharing it!
    No problem. I just think that I may have started this list too early, because what was I thinking putting Mirrored (which I just don't like, as much as I want to, and as much as I say I do) above Scribble Mural Comic Journal, or better yet, starting it before I heard Liars!?!?!?

I can't believe how totally addicted I am to this Burial album.

It's all I've been listening to lately.

I can't believe how totally addicted I am to this Burial album.

It's all I've been listening to lately.
    I'm glad you enjoy it. I think I'm going to try listening to it during the night time, which is how I imagine it's meant to be experienced.

Quote Quoting Clipper Ship Captain (view post)
    I'm glad you enjoy it. I think I'm going to try listening to it during the night time, which is how I imagine it's meant to be experienced.

I imagine it's sublime during a nighttime drive.

I imagine it's sublime during a nighttime drive.
    Yeah, well, he has said it's supposed to be listening to coming back from something. I think he said that in the Village Voice interview, which should be relatively easy to find. He's a clearly passionate musician.

Caught some Burial/Untrue tracks on YouTube. Nice. "Archangel" was great. Some of it didn't hit me very hard though.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

I sampled a few of those Burial tracks and thought it was irritating noise.
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

God, that Burial CD is like crack.

It's still all I am listening to.