Page 75 of 140 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,875 of 3495

Thread: The DC/WB Superhero Movies Thread

I watched that trailer after the Thor: Ragnarok trailer and it was such a step down.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    My thoughts after seeing the DC trailer was: Not sure even Whedon can fix this.

Too dark. Too constricting. I hate the film style. It always feels so confined in EVERY scene.

Remember all those city shots Nolan would do before entering a scene?

Example: The shots of Batman in Hong Kong before he brings Lau back to teh states? Then he would move inside to where the scene takes place.

Synder just ignores setting up the location- so when the camera does pan back.. and all you see is the stretch of road in front of the bat mobile, you don't get a sense of where the scene is taking place in the city.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

It's okay. If it ends up bad, fans will say Whedon couldn't fix Snyder's faults. If it ends up good, fans will say Whedon has done a miracle.

DC press releases are officially crediting Whedon as a co-director currently, but I'm really curious what the DGA's ruling is going to end up being.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    It's such a weird tap-dance for critics, too, because the response to Ultron was underwhelming, so Whedon should be low on cachet, but this is DCCU, so he'll come off like a comparative savior, and so few critics like Snyder, but they can't bag on him too much because of the family tragedy, so there'll be caveats and hedges. And critics will probably point to the most tangible and obvious examples of Whedon and Snyder as symbolic of who was involved where (quips vs. slo-mo), regardless of whether or not that actually approaches the truth. It'll be the Poltergeist who-directed-what argument all over again.

This detail about the JL reshoots is excellent:

Additionally, because of the moustache [Cavill] grew for his character in ‘Mission’ and his contract which doesn’t allow him to shave it until ‘Mission’ wraps, they’ve had to film him for ‘League’ with it and then will digitally remove the fuzzy caterpillar in post-production.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

They're missing a golden opportunity to add a CG moustache into all the scenes without one.

I wonder how much screen time he actually has in the movie- and then to come back for reshoots that he probably originally shot in February.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

$25 million and 2+ months of reshoots. In comparison. Thor Ragnarok had 3 weeks of reshoots.

https://variety.com/2017/film/news/j...ts-1202502433/

Producer
    I hope there's behind-the-scene leak of Caville in Superman suit with mustache.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

- - - - -
    The reshoots and credits will only matter to the bottom of the barrel tomato-based critics who churn content for fansites. Directorial credit is a footnote in a text that normies don't read. TLDR: Nobody cares, and most won't notice.

OTOH, possibly relevant to your interests: http://www.blumhouse.com/2017/07/14/...d-poltergeist/

But I care, so it's important for us to talk about.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    OTOH, possibly relevant to your interests: http://www.blumhouse.com/2017/07/14/...d-poltergeist/
    WHoa!!

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    My thoughts after seeing the DC trailer was: Not sure even Whedon can fix this.

Too dark. Too constricting. I hate the film style. It always feels so confined in EVERY scene.

Remember all those city shots Nolan would do before entering a scene?

Example: The shots of Batman in Hong Kong before he brings Lau back to teh states? Then he would move inside to where the scene takes place.

Synder just ignores setting up the location- so when the camera does pan back.. and all you see is the stretch of road in front of the bat mobile, you don't get a sense of where the scene is taking place in the city.
    I don't think the footage is especially great or anything, but how are you judging a movie's coverage, shot selection and editing from a trailer? (Especially since we know this stuff could all change drastically by November anyway.)

Do you think the sort of establishing shots and wide shots you mention were in Nolan's Dark Knight marketing? A viral trailer like this needs to work on a reduced vertical-held window on a phone or an ad you'd walk past in public way more often than on a big screen. Of course they highlight the close-ups and tight action.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

What you say is usually true and fair, but you have to remember that the first trailers for this were whole scenes. That was back when it was Snyder's film, but we had a look at the way they were directed and it wasn't good.

But yeah, the way trailers are cut can completely change a movie's perception. I used to think Suicide Squad was going to be something awesome.

- - - - -

Actually...

The "official" trailer mimics the film's style --- there's quite a few establishing shots thrown into the usual mix of violence, explosions, and other "trailer moments."

(I mean, I could go down the road of nitpicking Nolan to death, as usual, but one of the thing I always liked about him was his use of big, expressionistic establishing shots that are more or less done in a classical style.)

I don't remember the first JL trailer having whole scenes, but even so, they were likely cut up a bunch in terms of pacing and flow. See: the Batman warehouse fight sequence in BvS. The trailer showed his entrance and take down of all the thugs in full, but the shots were edited differently in the finished movie.
    Movie Theater Diary

We also have Batman v Superman to have in the back of minds too- That whole fight scene at the end. I couldn't tell you what was up, down left right or where they were fighting. Could have been on the Moon. Could have been in a giant landfill. Who knows.

It's weird because it feels as if Snyder has got worse as a film maker. Man of Steel didn't feel confined at all. In fact, there's quite a few good shots of Metropolis, the corn fields, farm house, Smallville...
    Maybe that was the extent of Nolan's involvement?

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I don't remember the first JL trailer having whole scenes, but even so, they were likely cut up a bunch in terms of pacing and flow. See: the Batman warehouse fight sequence in BvS. The trailer showed his entrance and take down of all the thugs in full, but the shots were edited differently in the finished movie.
    This one

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I know, they're obviously abridged, but come on, you can get an idea of how is the film directed from that.

- - - - -

FROM YOUR MOUTH TO THE INTERNET'S EARS

BvS: Moustache Edition

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)

BvS: Moustache Edition
    I can't believe they didn't call that video Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Just-ache

Adam West! Burt Ward! William Shatner! This October 10!

I wonder if they'll release it in theaters for one night like the last one. That was a pretty funny experience because the screening was half full but my date and I were the youngest people there by at least 20 years. Maybe there'll be more general interest this time because of West's death.
    Movie Theater Diary

Fake news? I mean how did we not hear about this at Comic Con? Had to have at least been in the pipe.

http://deadline.com/2017/08/the-joke...se-1202154053/

I'll file that under "believe it when I see it".
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."