Page 73 of 140 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,825 of 3495

Thread: The DC/WB Superhero Movies Thread

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    I'd love to go the ADH Brooklyn one and just manspread all over the place.
    Stand up in the middle of the movie, open your overcoat to reveal your naked genitals, point at them and shout "THIS IS THE REAL WONDER" and run out.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Stand up in the middle of the movie, open your overcoat to reveal your naked genitals, point at them and shout "THIS IS THE REAL WONDER" and run out.
    I hope it would end like Perfume in anyone did that.

Genuinely don't understand the big deal either way. They have "Girls Night"-type screenings of films over here all the time. Isn't this essentially the same thing?

Blows my mind whenever I remember that Patty Jenkins' last movie was 14 years ago and she broke out of movie jail with this movie. I'm thinking I should double feature this with Monster.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Holy shit.. I didn't even realize that. I assumed there were some other projects of hers that just flew under my radar over the years.

Especially in a day and age when directors (obviously, especially of a certain gender) can go directly from Sundance comedies to tentpole blockbusters, the fact that she hasn't gotten to make anything since Monster (which no matter how you slice it was an Oscar-winning film that was Ebert's #1 of its year) is pretty criminal.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    If she had directed Thor 2, it wouldn't be the worst movie in the MCU.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    If she had directed Thor 2, it wouldn't be the worst movie in the MCU.
    What?

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    What?
    What, what?

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    What?
    Jenkins was set to direct Thor 2 for a while before she was replaced by Alan Taylor.

Duke dislikes the final film and thinks it is the worst in the MCU, despite The Incredible Hulk being a part of it.

EDIT: Just saw this, Jenkins talking about her version of it for the first time I'm aware of.
    Last edited by Henry Gale; 05-30-2017 at 11:27 PM.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

The Incredible Hulk has Tim Roth, William Hurt and Edward Norton. It's enjoyable for what it is- a chase movie despite the finale falling victim to the Transformers mishmash.

Thor 2 has Tom Hiddleston sure, but the plot is fucked and finale is "beam in the sky generic". I would have gladly perferfed a Shakespearean Thor-Romeo and Juliet with Jenkins at the helm.

That's funny, the realm-hopping during the Thor 2 climax is basically the only time I was engaged. Standard skypocalypse, but it's fun watching the guys drag cars onto alien planets while Mjolnir is swerving around like a drunk driver, trying to keep up.

That's funny, the realm-hopping during the Thor 2 climax is basically the only time I was engaged. Standard skypocalypse, but it's fun watching the guys drag cars onto alien planets while Mjolnir is swerving around like a drunk driver, trying to keep up.
    Agreed. And that's two terms you've coined that I love. I just need to make sure I remember them.

1. Standard Skypocalypse (Suicide Squad, Fantastic Four, Thor 2)
    2. Hot Potato Exposition (The Force Awakens, Wayne's World (used ironically))

2. Hot Potato Exposition (The Force Awakens, Wayne's World (used ironically))
    Wut?
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

I hated Monster.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

1. Standard Skypocalypse (Suicide Squad, Fantastic Four, Thor 2)
    Oh oh! Don't forget Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer!

Oh oh! Don't forget Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer!
    I mean, the list doesn't stop there. Green Lantern, Man of Steel, Avengers to an extent, Ghostbusters (2016), RIPD,...

Huh, interesting last minute change. Justice League is scrapping Junkie XL's score and Danny Elfman will be composing a new score for it.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Huh, interesting last minute change. Justice League is scrapping Junkie XL's score and Danny Elfman will be composing a new score for it.
    Given the direction of Sessions's Justice Department, it may prove wise to avoid such associations.

Whedon?

Whedon?
    Yep. Makes sense given that Elfman came in for Ultron.

Also, Holkenborg has a very particular kind of musical voice. I can imagine someone raised on Old Hollywood wouldn't cotton to the repetition/percussiveness.

So Snyder leaves, and the first thing they do is replace his score? But one of the strongest aspects of Snyder's films is his use of music. Hmm, not sure how I feel about that... :\

Also, Holkenborg has a very particular kind of musical voice. I can imagine someone raised on Old Hollywood wouldn't cotton to the repetition/percussiveness.
    Yah, these are two very different kinds of composers. Aside from the Whedon connection, it could also be a way for WB to make the movie feel less poundingly aggressive and more in line with the score in Wonder Woman.
    Movie Theater Diary

If they do this, it will be DC/WB's smartest move yet. Wonder Woman 2 is reportedly not going to be Present Day, but a period piece again set during the Cold War.

This to me is an actual working franchise concept here. Have her be a regular present day superhero in the Justice League movies, but let her solo series be about her involvement in various wars throughout history.

It's a great idea in theory, at least, but if they ever get up to the Middle East conflicts, that's-a shitstorm brewin' considering who Gal Gadot is.
    Movie Theater Diary

If they do this, it will be DC/WB's smartest move yet. Wonder Woman 2 is reportedly not going to be Present Day, but a period piece again set during the Cold War.

This to me is an actual working franchise concept here. Have her be a regular present day superhero in the Justice League movies, but let her solo series be about her involvement in various wars throughout history.

It's a great idea in theory, at least, but if they ever get up to the Middle East conflicts, that's-a shitstorm brewin' considering who Gal Gadot is.
    I want this so bad.

Not the middle east stuff. I don't think they would touch that, nor should they.